Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

LWBS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 02:51 AM
brel
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put almost 850 miles on my brand new GT4 over the last few days driving it home in the SF area from my dealer in Vegas. I found LWBS superbly comfortable whether cruising open highways, fighting LA traffic, or charging through curves on HWY 1. Even my wife was surprised how well they work. We had a couple of 4 - 5 hour non-stop stints and didn't have any issues.

Getting in and out is a bit of a chore, but we both adopted.

I am over 60, 190lbs, 6.0. I can see that LWBs would not work for some body types, but if they fit you, and you are not going to use the car for mail delivery, get them.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:32 AM
pegdrag
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

6'3", 48 shoulders, 245 and too big for the LWB. Old, too! Gad.

Climbing in and out is a challenge if the door opening is restricted. Sons are 6'4" and 6'6" and 200 and 225 and the upright position is an issue. Wife also commented "with a skirt?"

I could make it work, I guess and have not driven it, just sat in it.

Just data points, sofa incoming.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:31 AM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

when are the LWB going to be available through Suncoast?
Old 04-26-2016, 08:22 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,084 Likes on 621 Posts

OP here - thanks everyone. This thread has helped me a ton. I'm glad to see there's a healthy debate on it. I expect that the only way I'm getting a GT4 at this point is used. From this thread (and my lack of personal concern about the seats) my take away is that I will search w/o regard to the seats and get the best car for me independent of this particular option. (Probably end up w/o LWBS simply on price.)
Old 04-26-2016, 11:27 AM
konaforever
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
OP here - thanks everyone. This thread has helped me a ton. I'm glad to see there's a healthy debate on it. I expect that the only way I'm getting a GT4 at this point is used. From this thread (and my lack of personal concern about the seats) my take away is that I will search w/o regard to the seats and get the best car for me independent of this particular option. (Probably end up w/o LWBS simply on price.)
Good luck on your search! The GT4 is worth it with out without the LWBS!
Old 04-26-2016, 11:48 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,244 Likes on 2,732 Posts

It's fair to say that people on enthusiast forums tend to be a little nuts, so data points are going to be skewed. In most cases, people don't really care that much about seats but the GT4 is a cultish car, so it tends to attract more obsessive owners.

My opinion - When in doubt, get the buckets. Choose not to get the buckets only if you are absolutely sure you don't want them.

Last edited by rk-d; 04-26-2016 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:33 PM
Yomi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To offer hope to those, erm, slender-challenged people... 6'0, 250 lbs (sigh), getting up there in years.

LWBS fit me fine. They take a minute for me to settle into, as one would expect from a seat that holds you in on the sides. The longest drive I've done is about 80 miles -- there on the highway, back on twisty roads. No comfort issues. I still have my Sparco Pro 2000 and Evo seats (not in a car) -- I should compare.

My garage opening is very badly designed (thanks, stingy builder), so the drivers side door can open to only the first door position (i.e. barely open). Getting in and out is an experience, considering ones foot has to go behind the body to make it through the crack to the garage floor. Even with space to open the door, I grab the roof to pull myself out, and I definitely use the side bolster for support. I hope it'll be replaceable as a reasonably priced wear part...

I suspect my preferred seating position doesn't help. I have the seat as far down as it can go. I have it quite far forward, which also means the steering wheel is tilted up to make room for my legs. I am a proponent of the "in driving position, arms straight out, wrists should touch the top of the wheel" rule, which makes the wheel much closer than daily driver people are comfortable with (but they're usually shorter than I am, so it works out in most cars). I found the dealer and service people seem unable to comfortably get in the car without pushing the seat back, which I don't do.

I sat in some of the 991.2 cars with the other two seat types. They weren't adjusted to the lowest height, but it was vastly easier to get in them (higher car, higher seat position, plusher seat). It felt like I was sitting waaaay up high compared to the GT4.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:19 AM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by s2ktaxi
when are the LWB going to be available through Suncoast?
GT2 LWB's have been on backorder for going on six months. GT4 LWB's? it's anybody's guess!

Quick Reply: LWBS?