Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

GT 4 suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 03:24 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

I must admit that the longer my car is at the dealer while the PORSCHE engineers ponder the issue the closer I come to "throwing in the towel"
Old 08-12-2016, 05:40 PM
TM5
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Interested to hear your thoughts on the TPC links.I am going to DE at Indy next weekend so should have a good perspective on difference vs stock. also considering DSC but may be better to do one mod at a time
Old 08-13-2016, 12:51 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 607 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
I must admit that the longer my car is at the dealer while the PORSCHE engineers ponder the issue the closer I come to "throwing in the towel"
Did they give you a loaner? Sucks you are having to wait so long for them to use your car as a science project to figure out their screw up.

Last edited by okie981; 08-13-2016 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:12 PM
Yomi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar issue with mine (posted in June). Had first alignment done and the left rear was out of spec and wouldn't go into spec. They said Porsche knew about it and already had a service advisory that involved "adjusting the subframe" to fix it. It's now getting reasonable and in-spec camber (-1.3), but nothing like what a GT car should be able to have (completely maxed out it is still within the factory range for normal street driving).

I'm in the same boat with autocross. If I leave showroom stock then it's a slippery road to way too many mods, foremost being race tires -- done that, my lazy and cheap a** doesn't want to do that again.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:59 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Yomi
I had a similar issue with mine (posted in June). Had first alignment done and the left rear was out of spec and wouldn't go into spec. They said Porsche knew about it and already had a service advisory that involved "adjusting the subframe" to fix it. It's now getting reasonable and in-spec camber (-1.3), but nothing like what a GT car should be able to have (completely maxed out it is still within the factory range for normal street driving).

I'm in the same boat with autocross. If I leave showroom stock then it's a slippery road to way too many mods, foremost being race tires -- done that, my lazy and cheap a** doesn't want to do that again.
I'm trying to get my mind around what could cause this if all the suspension links are the correct length. The subframe must be cast out of tolerance?? Either that or the shock towers are not in the correct position as built?
Old 08-13-2016, 04:20 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Yomi

Actually -1.3 on the rear is still not within specs but closer. The envelope for rear camber is -1.42 to -1.58 . My guess is that if your tech tried to go beyond -1.3 he would not be able to retain the toe setting within limits.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:28 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by okie981
I'm trying to get my mind around what could cause this if all the suspension links are the correct length. The subframe must be cast out of tolerance?? Either that or the shock towers are not in the correct position as built?
refer to my earlier post on stock toe links and subframe assembly adjustment.

Those that have gone to aftermarket rear toe links easily not only get factory spec alignment but can go beyond. The problem is that the addition of aftermarket rear toe links pushes you from PCA showroom stock past Production to the improved class and then to be competitive you need to do other things that all cost money.

I'm confident that PORSCHE will find a solution, issue an engineering update and all will be good. The car is too good to let this small issue throttle its capability "out of the box"

I will say that under hard braking with my "out of tolerance" factory alignment the rear end gets very sporty in the wrong way as I experience when I had to brake hard to avoid an accident developing as several cars came together right in front of moe on a freeway. Fortunately PORSCHE makes great brakes .
Old 08-13-2016, 06:16 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

refer to my earlier post on stock toe links and subframe assembly adjustment.

Those that have gone to aftermarket rear toe links easily not only get factory spec alignment but can go beyond. The problem is that the addition of aftermarket rear toe links pushes you from PCA showroom stock past Production to the improved class and then to be competitive you need to do other things that all cost money.

I'm confident that PORSCHE will find a solution, issue an engineering update and all will be good. The car is too good to let this small issue throttle its capability "out of the box"

I will say that under hard braking with my "out of tolerance" factory alignment the rear end gets very sporty in the wrong way as I experience when I had to brake hard to avoid an accident developing as several cars came together right in front of moe on a freeway. Fortunately PORSCHE makes great brakes .
I'm more perplexed how the OEM parts (links, subframe, etc.) can't achieve by a long margin the design target for camber and toe. I understand that aftermarket parts can get you there.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:19 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by okie981
I'm more perplexed how the OEM parts (links, subframe, etc.) can't achieve by a long margin the design target for camber and toe. I understand that aftermarket parts can get you there.
I have asked that question as has my dealer to Porsche ... awaiting an answer ... besides I want my car back and fixed
Old 08-18-2016, 03:59 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

An update, my car is still at the dealer. PCNA has referred the issue to Germany for recommendations. Of course August is vacation month in Germany so I don't expect a quick solution. As others have said the real solution would be rear toe links with additional length to allow specified toe to be set after rear camber is brought into specs. That would be an entering change and is probably not going to happen quickly. Needless to say I'm getting frustrated not having my car, but I know my dealer is being a pro active as they can in pressing for a solution. Oh well, just another little bump in life.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:02 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

An update, my car is still at the dealer. PCNA has referred the issue to Germany for recommendations. Of course August is vacation month in Germany so I don't expect a quick solution. As others have said the real solution would be rear toe links with additional length to allow specified toe to be set after rear camber is brought into specs. That would be an entering change and is probably not going to happen quickly. Needless to say I'm getting frustrated not having my car, but I know my dealer is being a pro active as they can in pressing for a solution. Oh well, just another little bump in life.
Have they given you a loaner car?
Old 08-18-2016, 10:02 AM
mrd_spy
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 72 Posts

why can they just not fit the CS toe links ?

imo they should fit these to all GT4 on a recall.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:55 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
why can they just not fit the CS toe links ?

imo they should fit these to all GT4 on a recall.
Yes they gave me a loaner, my dealer is very good about that . I jokingly suggested that they just put the clubsport toe links on my car. Right now they have to wait for the engineers in Germany ( who are most likely on vacation since it is August which is vacation month in Germany) to come up with an "engineering upgrade" . I would not expect a resolution for at least several weeks if that soon as any fix that requires parts, those parts would have to be sourced, produced and put in the distribution system . It will happen when it happens
Old 08-22-2016, 07:02 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

The start of a new week and still no word on a solution. Not having use of my car is of course bothersome but the two more critical issues are one, the car is sitting out all day every day in the elements which it doesn't do at home and more importantly the GT5 is started every morning and moved 50-100 feet and shut down. The process is repeated every evening as they put it inside. So for three weeks or so the car is started and quickly stopped twice a day, this can not be good for any of an number of reasons like cylinder abrasion as the oil has not circulated, condensation in the oil as it is never warmed up and lastly carbon build up in the DFI engine.

I do not in any way blame my dealer as they are at least doing their best to protect my car when the dealership is closed by moving it inside, I do have concerns that PORSCHE is taking so long to solve a simple problem. The solution is so simple, retrofit adjustable rear toe links such as on the GT 4 Clubsport or the GT# ( although I am told the GT 3 ones will not fit)

Its interesting that they can't get any more than barely 1.1 negative camber on the left rear of my GT 4 yet with stock height and stock OEM parts I have 1.85 negative camber on the rear of my 987.2 Boxster spyder , no sweat. Sorry for the polite rant
Old 08-22-2016, 08:32 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

The start of a new week and still no word on a solution. Not having use of my car is of course bothersome but the two more critical issues are one, the car is sitting out all day every day in the elements which it doesn't do at home and more importantly the GT5 is started every morning and moved 50-100 feet and shut down. The process is repeated every evening as they put it inside. So for three weeks or so the car is started and quickly stopped twice a day, this can not be good for any of an number of reasons like cylinder abrasion as the oil has not circulated, condensation in the oil as it is never warmed up and lastly carbon build up in the DFI engine.

I do not in any way blame my dealer as they are at least doing their best to protect my car when the dealership is closed by moving it inside, I do have concerns that PORSCHE is taking so long to solve a simple problem. The solution is so simple, retrofit adjustable rear toe links such as on the GT 4 Clubsport or the GT# ( although I am told the GT 3 ones will not fit)

Its interesting that they can't get any more than barely 1.1 negative camber on the left rear of my GT 4 yet with stock height and stock OEM parts I have 1.85 negative camber on the rear of my 987.2 Boxster spyder , no sweat. Sorry for the polite rant
Drop by the dealership one day and take it for a long drive, for 20+ minutes after the oil has reached full operating temp. That will at least help with the diluted fuel and moisture that is building up in the oil due to the frequent cold engine starts/stops, and give the battery a good charge. Don't go crazy with it, in case the oil has a lot of fuel dilution, just get it up to temp and drive it. If you're really concerned about the oil, ask them if they'll do a drain and refill, no filter, before you do the first long drive. Offer to give them the oil if they balk. Give them a car cover and have them cover it up when it's outside for the day, after first washing the car to remove any significant dirt/dust.

It's a very frustrating situation for you. I think they should offer you some consideration for your major inconvenience. Credit in the parts department for that car cover?

Quick Reply: GT 4 suspension