Sponsored by: APR

Limited Lotus Evora 410

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 02:34 AM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster
Really still like my 2011S. Magical suspension truly and although Jeremy's clarkson can be odd at the best of times his review of it on top gear a few years back nailed it. The nat geo lotus factory special (mostly on the evora) gives it some charm if you're into hand made stuff... talked to some journos over the last few weeks and they really like the new evora even more.

Last photo with the cleanness! Too bad Bob retired :-(
Old 11-29-2016, 03:18 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Old 11-29-2016, 03:26 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,887 Likes on 4,817 Posts

Buying a Lotus, as I have been told, is just like buying a boat.

The best two days of ownership are the day you bought it, and the day you find a buyer with funds in hand.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:35 PM
maroli
Three Wheelin'

Received 471 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Buying a Lotus, as I have been told, is just like buying a boat.

The best two days of ownership are the day you bought it, and the day you find a buyer with funds in hand.
I think many would contest that quite dearly. The product is as advertised; a low-volume sportscar with perhaps the best ride/handling balance in the world and build quality/materials that are significantly worse than a high-volume manufacturer. Thing is, Lotus is very quickly refining their build quality/materials and the new models (Evora 400/410 and the brand new 380) are said to be appreciably better built. They have literally looked at every part and tried to find ways to lighten it/make it better. It still ain't no Porsche and still doesn't have a bespoke sports car engine but pretty cool (but I'm a fan).

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/lotu...0-review/35364
Old 11-29-2016, 10:33 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

People keep reminding me that geometry, size and a few other factors are very similar to the Ferrari F355. Let's see.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:32 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bk_911
Last photo with the cleanness! Too bad Bob retired :-(
Still hoping he comes back at some point.

Nice Evora.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:21 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 604 Posts

Drove Alex's car, and was really impressed. Shifter wasn't great, and some aspects of the interior are still well behind Porsche and other manufacturers, but the Evora doesn't feel manufactured and it DOES feel special. Very special. Exotic, actually, where today's Porsches can feel a bit homogenized—especially in terms of the interiors, which are almost too perfect, too consumer, too Panamera.

Evora chassis can show the GT4 a thing or two, and it's a very interesting to look at—you have to work with its design. I can see how I might be tempted.

A friend just sold his GT4 to get the new Evora, which is indeed supposed to up the game on the shifter, the build quality, and more. Looks stunning in silver. I wouldn't expect Porsche robustness or reliability, and would be delighted to see either or both on the street. I doubt I would make one of these a track car, however. The suspension is so clearly street compromised—which may be a more honest approach and better for most owners.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:42 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Drove Alex's car, and was really impressed. Shifter wasn't great, and some aspects of the interior are still well behind Porsche and other manufacturers, but the Evora doesn't feel manufactured and it DOES feel special. Very special. Exotic, actually, where today's Porsches can feel a bit homogenized—especially in terms of the interiors, which are almost too perfect, too consumer, too Panamera.

Evora chassis can show the GT4 a thing or two, and it's a very interesting to look at—you have to work with its design. I can see how I might be tempted.

A friend just sold his GT4 to get the new Evora, which is indeed supposed to up the game on the shifter, the build quality, and more. Looks stunning in silver. I wouldn't expect Porsche robustness or reliability, and would be delighted to see either or both on the street. I doubt I would make one of these a track car, however. The suspension is so clearly street compromised—which may be a more honest approach and better for most owners.
Best quote of the day, Q: "so where do you put your left foot to rest?". A: "You don't. You have to left foot brake".

+1 though... I totally encourage everyone to watch that NatGeo special on the EVORA process/lotus factory. It's a polar opposite to the Porsche one in terms of hand-made vs robot/precision. There's an art/craft and passion to it that gives it charm. Overall it definitely feels special in a strange English way. Nobody else really ever has one so you're either really smart or just glutten for punishment when you own a Lotus. If you like a spicy life I encourage it.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:43 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 943 Likes on 540 Posts

couple of years ago , had an itch to check lotus
went t o a local dealer and drove exige S
half a mile into test drive we ran out of gas , the indicator was at half full, but apparently this is normal for lotus
1 hr later, after someone at the dealership brought a gallon of gas, they could not open the gas tank, lid was stuck , car had to be towed to dealership
never thought about lotus after that
Old 11-30-2016, 01:47 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 604 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster
Best quote of the day, Q: "so where do you put your left foot to rest?". A: "You don't. You have to left foot brake".

+1 though... I totally encourage everyone to watch that NatGeo special on the EVORA process/lotus factory. It's a polar opposite to the Porsche one in terms of hand-made vs robot/precision. There's an art/craft and passion to it that gives it charm. Overall it definitely feels special in a strange English way. Nobody else really ever has one so you're either really smart or just glutten for punishment when you own a Lotus. If you like a spicy life I encourage it.
Charm.

THAT'S the word of that day. Not perfection. Charm. It's what makes Singers sell, and Lotuses too. It's something that is harder and harder to find in modern, mass-produced cars.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:56 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Charm.

THAT'S the word of that day. Not perfection. Charm. It's what makes Singers sell, and Lotuses too. It's something that is harder and harder to find in modern, mass-produced cars.
Yep charm has its perks in a car agreed. We're not paying astronomical prices for older Porsches because they get around the ring quicker than a Nissan GTR...
Old 11-30-2016, 03:25 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,401 Likes on 726 Posts

I am trying to find a 410 right now to order. I think a 410 coupled with the 991.2 GT3 in Manual would be a heck of line up.

If any one has an "in" at MSRP and you do not mind hooking me up please PM me
Old 11-30-2016, 10:30 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's interesting how many of us are fascinated by Lotus regardless of its inherent problems. I had one of the first 2005 Elises, drove it daily and tracked it heavily for 3 years. I loved it and it was pretty reliable, contrary to popular opinion. I sold it with 33,000 miles when my 2007 GT3 arrived. I would miss it but I have a 1972 Elan Sprint, which is a whole different kettle of fish, but fulfills my Lotus need.
The Evora 410 sounds like a head to head comparo with the GT4. I'm looking forward to reading about it.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:51 PM
AfricanHunter
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I am trying to find a 410 right now to order. I think a 410 coupled with the 991.2 GT3 in Manual would be a heck of line up.

If any one has an "in" at MSRP and you do not mind hooking me up please PM me
Aston Martin/Lotus in San Diego (off Balboa ave I think) has a paddles silver 400 in with a manual white 400 coming.

Build quality on the Evora 400 was better than the new Aston DB11 I saw.

Still, as everyone said, its english and you need to be ready for those types of issues. Haven't heard any on the 400 yet but brand new, time will tell.

Quick Reply: Limited Lotus Evora 410