Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Wife deciding between Macan s and gts? Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 06:44 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 192 Posts
Default Wife deciding between Macan s and gts? Which one?

I really like the exterior of the gts vs the s. What comes standard with the gts vs the s? If I had to click options for the gts what would you option it with? My wife wants nav for sure and a definitely plus is gts comes standard with AS. What else would you guys recommend option wise? Full leather? Thanks and any feedback appreciated. Mike
Old 07-30-2017, 08:53 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is what I got on my GTS:

Leather Package in Black
Trailer hitch without tow ball
Roof Rails in Black
Seat Ventilation (Front)
Brushed Aluminum Interior Package in Black
SportDesign Side Mirrors
Navigation Module for Porsche Communication Management (PCM)
Lane Keep Assist (LKA) i.c.w . Lane Change Assist (LCA)
Smoking Package
Adaptive Sport Seats (18-way) with Memory Package
Sport Chrono Package i.c.w. PCM
21" Sport Classic Wheels in Platinum Satin
Premium Package Plus
• Automatically Dimming Mirrors
• BOSE® Surround Sound System
• Panoramic Roof System
• Porsche Entry & Drive
• Seat Heating (Front and Rear)
Old 07-30-2017, 09:52 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

The GTS comes with AS/PASM, PDLS, 20 more HP, bigger brakes, Sport Exhaust in black, 20" wheels in black, leather package, BOSE audio, and some other cosmetic trim differences.

If your wife likes the extra perf stuff, then the GTS is a better value. If the perf options or black trim differences aren't as important, then the Macan S is a better value. You can choose ala-carte most of the GTS options on the Macan S. For example, we highly recommend the AS/PASM yet my wife despises sport exhaust so it's the Macan S for us. I'd definitely get the LED headlights and PDLS.

Some key features my wife loves based on her test drives and subsequent Macan S ownership:

AS/PASM (she dislikes the standard suspension - she calls it bouncy)
Porsche entry & drive (she hates digging around for keys)
Seat heating/ventilation
Heated steering wheel
Surround view parking (she's a big fan of this one)
19" wheels (vs 20" or larger for bumps/potholes)
14 way seats with memory (she does NOT like my 18 ways)
Lane change assist (although she thinks the Macan version is lame compared to the Panamera)
Compass

Here's some matched examples (which both wind up quite pricey when you start checking the boxes on the options) to get you started:

Macan S $78,580: http://www.porsche-code.com/PJJITAM4
Macan GTS $86,040: http://www.porsche-code.com/PJXM6HL3
Old 07-30-2017, 10:38 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by digits
Porsche entry & drive (she hates digging around for keys)
Get this. Its a thing you don't think you want but you'll really really miss when you don't have. The Porsche keyless system isn't like most other cars -- there's no clunky button to push to use it. The door handle has a capacitance sensor in it so you just grab it and the car syncs with your key faster than you can pull the handle to open the door. It's invisible. Locking the car is equally easy just put a finger (or an elbow if you're carrying something) on the dimple in the handle.

This is one of the small things that really impress me about this car.
Old 07-30-2017, 11:26 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 192 Posts

We've had 2 cayenne s's- both had AS. She loves the Air suspension because it does feel bouncy esp for rear occupants and it's great for towing since its self leveling. We just need something smaller and she loved how the pepper handles so expect the same or more with the Macan. So far option wise it's nav/Bose/ full black leather/ park assist/carmine red/ tow package. What are other must have options? We had pano roof on our last pepper but nice as it is we hardly opened it. Entry/drive I've been thinking about to add. Nice feature? Still at qualms with adding adjustability of seats but is it a nite/day difference? Thanks. Mike
Old 07-30-2017, 11:27 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by cviles
Get this. Its a thing you don't think you want but you'll really really miss when you don't have. The Porsche keyless system ...
I agree. It's a nifty thing on the Macan. I'm perfectly happy dispensing with it on the sports cars though.

This is one of the small things that really impress me about this car.
The BIG thing that impresses me is Air-suspension with Sport Chrono. Hit sport mode. Hit the PASM button for Sport Chassis+ Mode and then put the AS in low mode. It's unnatural. Porsche's engineers should stay away from Salem lest they face burning at the stake for witchcraft.

To the OP: test sit both the 18-way and other seats. Like in the sports cars, there's a love-hate relationship. Some folks love the 18-way and can't stand the other seats while some can't stand the 18-way seats.

Definitely get heated and ventilated seats. The latter is another thing that you didn't know you can't do without.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:22 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I got a GTS after months of research, pondering and jealousy. I'm thrilled with it. I like the aesthetic differences with the black trim, headlights, exhaust, etc. The air suspension is unreal. I can't believe this thing rides as well as it does. Amazing. I am not as thrilled with the black wheels, I would have preferred a polished lip, and they are a pain to clean, but I wanted the signature look of the GTS.

Bose: Sounds great to me. I would never get Burmeister. But I'm no audiophile.

Sport Design Mirrors: Simply the coolest mirrors!

Side Blades Exterior Color: Looks so much sleeker.

Carbon Fiber Interior Package: I wanted this especially since the Piano Black (second choice) scratches and mars so easily.

Porsche Entry and Drive: I would prefer a button over a key to turn, but I like it overall.

Seat Heating and Ventilation: You spend this much for a car don't cheap out over this! You will love it.

Heated Steering Wheel: A relative bargain. Get it.

Sunblind for Rear Windows: Another bargain. Plus it keeps my dogs nose off the glass!

Cargo Management System. Absolutely one of my favorite options. Super nice and really makes the back of the car versatile. Research it, its awesome. Can't recommend it enough.

Pano Roof: I'm not a huge open-sunroof person but the glass really adds light and makes the car feel more open. We do use the sunshade a lot. We wanted everything else in the Premium Package Plus so decided to get it. No regrets.

Torque Vectoring Plus: I did tons of research on this and did several long term test drives comparing Macans with and without it. For me, I wanted my Macan to be the most "Porsche" it could be. I am performance oriented and my other cars (991S, 993S and BMW M235is) are sporty so I wanted the Macan to have the same feel. In freeway ovals, mid to high speed corners and off ramps, etc, the Torque Vectoring transforms handling. You don't have to be "pushing it" to appreciate it. It makes the Macan feel 500lbs lighter. It sharpens up the steering response and turn in. Could I live without it, maybe, but I wanted to maximize the potential of an already nice car. And frankly, I told myself I was spending all this money anyway that I better make this car worth it. So happy I got it.

Trailer Hitch: Mostly for the option to hold a bike rack. I probably won't tow.

Auto Dimming Mirrors: Non-negotiable must-have for me!

14-Way Seats: I went back and forth on seats. I have the 18-Way Sport seats in my Carrera S and love them. But they are narrower and the cushions are firmer. This is fine for the Carrera which I take on the track, but I wanted more comfort orientation for the Macan. I could never see the need to tighten up the side bolsters in the Macan, either. (4 of the 18 features). I want to be able to move around a bit. And the ability to easily move around is why I didn't get the standard 8-Way seats with Alcantara. The Alcantara grabs you and makes it hard to shuffle around in your seat like everyone does. Plus they are a bit warm after a while. Great for track use, but not enough comfort for me in daily use. Plus these do not allow for Ventilation and do not have lumbar adjustment, both big negatives.

Porsche Connect: I will never again buy a factory Nav system. Too expensive and too limiting. After using Apple Car Play you realize how cumbersome and slow the OEM units can be. I'm so happy with just Connect. I took the money I saved on Connect Plus and Navigation and applied it to other, more important (to me) options.

LED headlights w/PDLS Plus: not only are the headlights black trimmed and look cool, but we got them because the PDLS Plus offers low speed cornering lights (in addition to the high speed cornering lights) and this illuminates everything for parking, turning into dark driveways, etc. This is invaluable to us.

Lane Change Assist: I was skeptical of this one (I've done without it all my life) but in the end I've come to really like the visual confirmation when changing lanes, especially in busy and fast moving traffic.

Hope this helps. Happy hunting!

Quick Reply: Wife deciding between Macan s and gts? Which one?