Macan 2014-Current

2018 Oil Fill Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 04:20 AM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 2018 Oil Fill Question

I’m on my phone and it’s difficult to search. I have a 2018 base and need to do back-to-back oil changes. Car has very low mileage but I’m changing oil types. Last time I changed the oil it was really hard to get the proper level. I started by adding a quart low but had too much oil and it was a long process to keep driving and testing and adjusting. Any insight as to how others do it more efficiently would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 06-06-2019, 08:55 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jkw911
I’m on my phone and it’s difficult to search. I have a 2018 base and need to do back-to-back oil changes. Car has very low mileage but I’m changing oil types. Last time I changed the oil it was really hard to get the proper level. I started by adding a quart low but had too much oil and it was a long process to keep driving and testing and adjusting. Any insight as to how others do it more efficiently would be appreciated. Thanks
If you are at the proper level before the change, measure the amount of oil drained and then fill with an equal amount. Final measurement doesn't have to exactly be at the top line - the crankcase holds a lot of oil so if you are low after the change you can just add in small quantities to get to your desired level.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:04 PM
PSEE
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

Sorry...

I'm on my phone, so it's difficult to help you out.

Seriously, since you OVERFILLED it last time, try taking it easy and only add 4 to 8 ounces at a time.
Then check the level - after driving the required time/distance.

It is possible to check the oil level before starting the engine - or while you're driving.

Read the Macan forums - when you're not driving. They're bursting with information.

Look for answers - you know, on your own.

Oil level has been discussed many times.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:53 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

STOP! First, if you've over filled it by a little but aren't sure by how much, the first thing to try is to drop the front part of the belly pan so it hangs down enough to where you can get to the oil filter. It's right in front. Get an oil pan. Prop it where it can catch the runoff and remove the oil filter. Put in a dry one and button it up. This will drop the level by about 1 quart. I overfilled mine by onesy by twosy trying to get it perfect. Over filled it! Don't do that.

If you feel you need to drain the oil AND filter and start from scratch, ONLY PUT IN 8.5 QUARTS! That's it. No more, no less. Leave it alone. You're good to roll. Don't try to get it perfect. You will not.

While you're underneath, check over on the drivers side for any timing chain oil leakage
Old 06-06-2019, 09:02 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Another thing to keep in mind is that for a very brief period immediately following your oil change, the onboard oil level will likely display a reading where it appears to be about a quart low. Then after driving for a few minutes it will display the proper level (assuming is was filled with the proper amount of course). I noticed this recently with my GTS following an oil change at my dealer...initially appeared to be about a quart low when I left the dealer and by the time I got to the Starbucks drive-thru about a mile up the road, the reading was showing a perfect fill.
Old 06-08-2019, 03:13 AM
Jason.b
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put in the amount of oil that gets me the minimum on the dash. Usually done thru trial and error.

Last time I did this, I left the car draining for more than 1.5 hours, and so when I added the typical minimum level amount, I was actually under the minimum. I didn’t have to wait for the PCM to update after driving, because as soon as the car started, the PCM stayed I needed to add more oil.

Once i get actual access to the PCM display, I add around 1/4th of a quart to get 1/2 of the PCM display.. and adjust accordingly to get to 1/2 of the PCM display.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:08 AM
user 72902
Banned

Originally Posted by PSEE
Sorry...

I'm on my phone, so it's difficult to help you out.

Seriously, since you OVERFILLED it last time, try taking it easy and only add 4 to 8 ounces at a time.
Then check the level - after driving the required time/distance.

It is possible to check the oil level before starting the engine - or while you're driving.

Read the Macan forums - when you're not driving. They're bursting with information.

Look for answers - you know, on your own.

Oil level has been discussed many times.
Thanks. I wasn’t driving but on my phone and did not have access to my laptop. I’ve been on Rennlist since 2000 - when it was email based. If the search function wasn’t so anemic I wouldn’t have to ask.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:44 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jkw911
Thanks. I wasn’t driving but on my phone and did not have access to my laptop. I’ve been on Rennlist since 2000 - when it was email based. If the search function wasn’t so anemic I wouldn’t have to ask.
Google is a better search engine than what this board has. Try it - you'll be amazed at what shows up.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:08 PM
user 72902
Banned

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Google is a better search engine than what this board has. Try it - you'll be amazed at what shows up.

Thanks

Quick Reply: 2018 Oil Fill Question