Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Holy cow. The thermal/noise insulated glass option is no joke.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 10:56 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Must be part of another superset like Premium or Premium Plus or.. as I didn't find it on my build. Thanx for the heads up though!

siberian

The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow
Old 11-21-2019, 12:16 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
Must be part of another superset like Premium or Premium Plus or.. as I didn't find it on my build. Thanx for the heads up though!

siberian

Not included as part of any package on the Macan as far as I know. Standalone option.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:59 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Must have (luckily) missed it

siberian

Old 11-21-2019, 11:03 AM
Golfster
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

It’s in the “Lights and Vision” section.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:41 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanx, obviously skipped it. Apologies for confounding this with the heated windshield

siberian

Old 11-25-2019, 08:11 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

Yeah this was actually my most heavily debated option (next was air suspension). I elected against it because of the concerns of signal interference- but I will conceded I never saw any empirical evidence on this topic. I didn't have it in my 2015 Macan and never had a complaint about the interior noise, plus like I'm sure many others in here I spend a decent amount of time on the phone in my cars for work-related stuff and don't want to risk the chance of dropped calls. Enough to leave it off the checklist of essential options.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:42 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
Yeah this was actually my most heavily debated option (next was air suspension). I elected against it because of the concerns of signal interference- but I will conceded I never saw any empirical evidence on this topic. I didn't have it in my 2015 Macan and never had a complaint about the interior noise, plus like I'm sure many others in here I spend a decent amount of time on the phone in my cars for work-related stuff and don't want to risk the chance of dropped calls. Enough to leave it off the checklist of essential options.
We are at around 2,000 miles on her Macan now and neither of us has noticed any issue with signals. It's pretty incredible speaking to her on the phone. In her old car I always got a horrible echo, lots of road noise, and the speaker picking up her voice was kinda sketchy so she'd be loud one second and hard to hear the next. When she is in the Macan and I'm on the phone with her I hear nothing other than her voice. Well, and the turn signal indicator or any other interior notifications. But not road noise and the like.

I bought it just because it was "cheap" by Porsche standards. Especially after spending the cash on Burmester. I wanted to make sure she got the best experience because she really enjoys music in the car. $1K on the glass seemed like good insurance.

All that being said, in no way is the upgraded glass something I would recommend as a primary option. If you are just going nuts on your build and already have Burmester, yeah, I'd recommend it. But for a regular build? No way Jose. Much better places to spend money.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:53 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 431 Likes on 229 Posts

Heated Windshield. Great for keeping the windshield clear. However, it interferes with my Valentine One. I get greatly reduced sensitivity to radars ahead. I'll get a Ka warning when I'm almost on top of them and then the detector goes full signal to the side and from behind as I go by the car. Not a big deal as we don't speed in the Macan. Just beware if you like to go fast. You will have to supplement with Waze. I also have the thermal/noise glass and it does impact cell signal a bit, but we have activated the internal AT&T factory installed sim's wi-fi hotspot and it makes internet and phone signal (via wi-fi calling) no problem.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:31 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
Heated Windshield. Great for keeping the windshield clear. However, it interferes with my Valentine One. I get greatly reduced sensitivity to radars ahead. I'll get a Ka warning when I'm almost on top of them and then the detector goes full signal to the side and from behind as I go by the car. Not a big deal as we don't speed in the Macan. Just beware if you like to go fast. You will have to supplement with Waze. I also have the thermal/noise glass and it does impact cell signal a bit, but we have activated the internal AT&T factory installed sim's wi-fi hotspot and it makes internet and phone signal (via wi-fi calling) no problem.

How much does this cost?
Old 01-04-2020, 07:52 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by n2cars
How much does this cost?
I got it for $15/month. Unlimited data and you can have five devices on the hotspot.

https://myvehicle.att.com/#/login
Old 01-04-2020, 09:45 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
I got it for $15/month. Unlimited data and you can have five devices on the hotspot.

https://myvehicle.att.com/#/login
thank you. seems very reasonable. Im going to check this out. thanks again
Old 01-09-2020, 09:50 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,192 Likes on 550 Posts

I have it on my 2018 Macan GTS. Love it. Waze is far superior to any radar detector. I have over 22K miles without a ticket, pre-Waze, not so.
My cell signal does not seem to be affected, nor the GPS reception of my stand alone unit. Well worth the $ for this option, IMO. But the things I value are my own, not yours- so, as always, YMMV.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:03 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Liste-Renn
I have it on my 2018 Macan GTS. Love it. Waze is far superior to any radar detector. I have over 22K miles without a ticket, pre-Waze, not so.
My cell signal does not seem to be affected, nor the GPS reception of my stand alone unit. Well worth the $ for this option, IMO. But the things I value are my own, not yours- so, as always, YMMV.
The funny thing is that I don't go more than 5-7 over. I just like the detector because it's interesting to me. I've started to use Waze through Apple Car Play occasionally, but just love the onboard nav system with google imagery maps. Lots of great options with the Macan. We are very satisfied with it.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:42 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

I get liking Waze, but it really bothers me. When I have used it the notifications have been overboard and then when you're driving if you don't have someone sitting right seat you can't tell when the notification was posted and most of the time I found the cop was gone. Most notifications were for stupid stuff. One trip when with my brother someone liked notifying us about the fog that didn't exist. I like the radar detector as most of the police always leave their radar on so you know if traffic is going to slow down and if there may be some kind of traffic disturbance up ahead. I look at it as something for safety more than for getting me out of the ticket for 10 over that they most likely won't pull me for (but there is the occasional burst of speed to either get around someone, or something...).
Old 01-12-2020, 12:25 AM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nano-Ceramic tint is the poor man's option if you want the UV/heat reduction. Works great, no issues.

Quick Reply: Holy cow. The thermal/noise insulated glass option is no joke.