Notices
Macan 2014-Current

How do you use your Macan??

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 12:53 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 192 Posts

Our gts is not a daily just for long road trips. I think I need to drive it more. Bought it brand new. 2 years old it has 3800 miles : ). Pretty faultless doing a 1500 mile road trip with 3 dogs my daughter and wife : ).
Old 01-07-2020, 02:27 PM
GT4Stu
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JonA85
I have a Macan S that I daily drive here in New England. Only issue is that its a lot smaller than my Jeep, so I have to put the back seats down to haul my ski gear and hockey gear.
Put the seats down for skis?? I can fit a weeks worth of ski gear including the skis in mine with 4 people in the car!
Old 01-07-2020, 02:38 PM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts

Daily drier I have put 8k miles on it since I got it in 3 months. I also came from a Subaru Impreza. Makes my commute more enjoyable
Old 01-07-2020, 06:11 PM
MarkinMD
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JBWass
it's less than a mile for her on most days. Why is idling bad ?
Idling is bad, especially with a cold engine - https://blog.amsoil.com/what-is-fuel...why-is-it-bad/

That is why you should start the car and drive away at a reasonable RPM as soon as oil pressure is up. "Warming up" a car can damage the engine by diluting the oil.

Last edited by MarkinMD; 01-08-2020 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:34 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,192 Likes on 550 Posts

I picked my GTS up in Leipzig on Sep 6, 2017 (2018 model).

Drove it just under 6000km (3600 mi) in 3 months. Had it shipped to an alternate dealer (a free ED option) to Atlanta vice Honolulu and drove it 10K miles to LA via 13 states, avoiding interstates, and 9 National Parks. Have kept it in LA, where is sits between road trips in storage. Drove LA to San Francisco and back last summer (1K mile RT) via coastal Highway 1 (Pacific Coast Highway). In Sep/Oct drove LA to Portland, entirely on the PCH (30 days to drive 1K miles- lots of sidetracks to beaches and redwood forests). Departing next week from Portland (sporting new Michelin Alpin snow tires) to Whistler via Mt Bachelor, Hood and Baker. Then on up into BC to loop the Powder Highway: https://powderhighway.com/

So, 13K+ miles of road trips- from Autobahn through the Alps to Tuscany and back to Germany, most of the American Southeast, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, east side of the Sierra Nevada, Tahoe, Mt Reba, Yosemite, Kings Canyon, and the entire Pacific Coast Highway. No commuting, every mile was an adventure.

My spec was petty extensive, and I have no regrets, the lone one was declining the Porsche Connect feature. Two years ago, Apple Car Play began supporting Waze, which I use exclusively- and it displays (as does google maps) the app on the PCM screen.

I have driven on Tuscan gravel roads (lots of them), logging trails in the Rockies and Sierras, off road desert terrain, and redwood bough roads. We sought out the best driving roads in the US and Europe- from the Splügen Pass to the Hogback in Utah. The OEM Pirelli P Zeros were sketch crossing some Alp passes in freezing rain, but I have been overall mightily impressed with the Macan's versatilty. It is a true Swiss Army knife vehicle. With Air Suspension, PTV and SPORT+, it handles better than the Alpha Stelvio I rented in Italy. For two people and their luggage/gear, it is the best combination of driving fun, off road capability and comfort that I have found.

So, that's how I use my 2018 Macan GTS.

You can do far worse than a Macan S, GTS, turbo/ PP. I am not sure you can do better, regardless of the price point. The Powder Highway will be a great test of winter handling.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
My Macan Build Sheet.pdf (57.4 KB, 68 views)
The following users liked this post:
Pavegeno928 (01-16-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 09:47 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Liste-Renn

Drove it just under 6000km (3600 mi) in 3 months. Had it shipped to an alternate dealer (a free ED option) to Atlanta vice Honolulu and drove it 10K miles to LA via 13 states, avoiding interstates, and 9 National Parks. Have kept it in LA, where is sits between road trips in storage. Drove LA to San Francisco and back last summer (1K mile RT) via coastal Highway 1 (Pacific Coast Highway). In Sep/Oct drove LA to Portland, entirely on the PCH (30 days to drive 1K miles- lots of sidetracks to beaches and redwood forests). Departing next week from Portland (sporting new Michelin Alpin snow tires) to Whistler via Mt Bachelor, Hood and Baker. Then on up into BC to loop the Powder Highway: https://powderhighway.com/

So, 13K+ miles of road trips- from Autobahn through the Alps to Tuscany and back to Germany, most of the American Southeast, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, east side of the Sierra Nevada, Tahoe, Mt Reba, Yosemite, Kings Canyon, and the entire Pacific Coast Highway. No commuting, every mile was an adventure.

My spec was petty extensive, and I have no regrets, the lone one was declining the Porsche Connect feature. Two years ago, Apple Car Play began supporting Waze, which I use exclusively- and it displays (as does google maps) the app on the PCM screen.

I have driven on Tuscan gravel roads (lots of them), logging trails in the Rockies and Sierras, off road desert terrain, and redwood bough roads. We sought out the best driving roads in the US and Europe- from the Splügen Pass to the Hogback in Utah. The OEM Pirelli P Zeros were sketch crossing some Alp passes in freezing rain, but I have been overall mightily impressed with the Macan's versatilty. It is a true Swiss Army knife vehicle. With Air Suspension, PTV and SPORT+, it handles better than the Alpha Stelvio I rented in Italy. For two people and their luggage/gear, it is the best combination of driving fun, off road capability and comfort that I have found.

You can do far worse than a Macan S, GTS, turbo/ PP. I am not sure you can do better, regardless of the price point. The Powder Highway will be a great test of winter handling.
‘If your going to post awesome info like that please attach some pics. LOL.

I love road trips and road trip stories - I did about 15k miles last year in my Cayman GTS all over the north east on various road trips from Maine to South Carolina.

I’m going to try and hit all 48 states in one shot this year and deciding if I take the Macan or Cayman.

http://www.randalolson.com/2015/03/0...cross-the-u-s/
Old 01-09-2020, 09:47 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Come up and see us if you want to do some serious winter driving :-)

Having lived in Europe 19 years (and owned 2 Porsches there - a 356SC and 911) I especially enjoyed your European wanderings. Did take me back...

Must have been a great experience (and yes, we're originally from Hawaii - Aiea and East HNL the wife).

Shaka

siberian

The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow
Old 01-09-2020, 10:25 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Here are a few shots from my roadtrips:

The following 3 users liked this post by Liste-Renn:
John Rudolf (01-15-2020), medtech (01-12-2020), Pavegeno928 (01-16-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 10:35 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by siberian
Come up and see us if you want to do some serious winter driving :-)

Having lived in Europe 19 years (and owned 2 Porsches there - a 356SC and 911) I especially enjoyed your European wanderings. Did take me back...

Must have been a great experience (and yes, we're originally from Hawaii - Aiea and East HNL the wife).

Shaka

siberian

Shaka, brah.
We have some things in common.
I was stationed in Germany 1982-1984. Owned two 911SC's while there and did lots of driving/exploring in the Alps. Drove the Heidelberg-Frankfurt (orignal) Autobahn to work.
Assigned here on Oahu '84-86 and moved back to the islands in 1995.
Spent lots of time flying low level and high altitude over Alaska (mil and civilian).
No good roads on Oahu- my 997GTS and Macan GTS are in SoCal. Good weather year round and nice place to begin road trips.
Not sure either car will ever find its way here. I ride a 29er and borrow my wifes SUV when I need to fill my growlers at Lanikai Brew Works.
Have a great life up there.

I am headed up towards you- driving the Powder Highway in BC- taking a month to visit some places where finding fresh powder is not an urgent contest. I have new Michelin Alpins on my GTS and will put almost 2000 miles on them in the next 30 days:
(google map link)
https://goo.gl/maps/i3LMBapwM16ycBRu9

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 05-27-2020 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:30 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Shake, brah.
We have some things in common.
I was stationed in Germany 1982-1984. Owned two 911SC's while there and did lots of driving/exploring in the Alps. Drove the Heidelberg-Frankfurt (orignal) Autobahn to work.
Assigned here on Oahu '84-86 and moved back to the islands in 1995.
Spent lots of time flying low level and high altitude over Alaska (mil and civilian).
No good roads on Oahu- my 997GTS and Macan GTS are in SoCal. Good weather year round and nice place to begin road trips.
Not sure either car will ever find its way here. I ride a 29er and borrow my wifes SUV when I need to fill my growlers at Lanikai Brew Works.
Have a great life up there.

I am headed up towards you- driving the Powder Highway in BC- taking a month to visit some places where finding fresh powder is not an urgent contest. I have new Michelin Alpins on my GTS and will put almost 2000 miles on them in the next 30 days:
(google map link)
https://goo.gl/maps/i3LMBapwM16ycBRu9
when in Portland stop in at Jakes

https://www.mccormickandschmicks.com...SAAEgLMBfD_BwE
Old 01-09-2020, 11:56 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Love it there. The staff is as good as the seafood.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:47 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Well if you ever plan to head 65 North, PM me, we'll get some poke etc ready. Be safe

71 911 somewhere in France in 1980. Vehicle long gone, wife still with me ;-)

siberian

The following 2 users liked this post by siberian:
ABusLux (05-17-2020), Pavegeno928 (01-16-2020)
Old 01-10-2020, 07:44 PM
GT4Stu
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

YOU sir are a god! 😎
Old 01-10-2020, 11:09 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,808 Likes on 2,170 Posts

I use my Macan for groceries, realtor duties, and going out with my gf.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:15 AM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My butt puckers every time wifey starts the car cold and immediately drives off. Having said that, she put 190k on our old Cayenne S with no issues.

As far as use, we use it for everything; Daily-driver, dog-hauler, off-road, snow....

...and I also change oil every 5k (cheap engine insurance).

Quick Reply: How do you use your Macan??