Macan 2014-Current

How do you use your Macan??

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 03:39 PM
GT4Stu
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Default How do you use your Macan??

So we’re all enthusiasts here for the most part and that’s why we’ve purchased our wonderful
Macan’s. That said these cars are definitely more utilitarian than sports cars. Ours is a daily vehicle primarily for my wife with mostly local driving with the occasional longer road trip.
So my question is twofold...
what’s the primary use for your Macan and are you concerned with the “abuse” it takes on a daily basis??
Since ours is a daily there are plenty of cold starts and stops without adequate time to properly warm the motor before the next stop. Kind of drives me crazy but it is what it is I suppose. Anyone else have similar concerns??
Just wondering
Old 01-05-2020, 05:35 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

I have exactly the same concerns as because I care about cars. My Macan is my daily and I face the same issues you do - to combat the the issues with short trips I have my oil changed more frequently. At one point I was thinking of selling the Macan and going back to a Subaru as a daily but then I remembered how much I hated my Subaru - it was economical, reliable, practical and all of that = BORING to me so the Macan S stays until I find a nice Macan Turbo.

I have a Cayman GTS that’s my road trip / fun car and I absolutely avoid short trips in it.

The following users liked this post:
medtech (01-12-2020)
Old 01-05-2020, 06:20 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,338 Likes on 703 Posts

As long as you’re not pushing your engine hard before it’s warmed up, taking short trips (stopping before engine fully warm) is not an issue.
Old 01-05-2020, 06:45 PM
GT4Stu
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jim137a
I have exactly the same concerns as because I care about cars. My Macan is my daily and I face the same issues you do - to combat the the issues with short trips I have my oil changed more frequently. At one point I was thinking of selling the Macan and going back to a Subaru as a daily but then I remembered how much I hated my Subaru - it was economical, reliable, practical and all of that = BORING to me so the Macan S stays until I find a nice Macan Turbo.

I have a Cayman GTS that’s my road trip / fun car and I absolutely avoid short trips in it.
Glad I’m not the only one! I too get lore frequent oil changes. Was actually thinking of going electric for my wife and making the Macan S my daily. Kind of full up with cars at this point though.

I have an S3 commuter (about 35min to a ferry) and a GT4 as my track/fun car
Old 01-05-2020, 07:00 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GT4Stu
Glad I’m not the only one! I too get lore frequent oil changes. Was actually thinking of going electric for my wife and making the Macan S my daily. Kind of full up with cars at this point though.

I have an S3 commuter (about 35min to a ferry) and a GT4 as my track/fun car
Ha, i had an S3 That I traded in towards my Cayman GTS and I’m also from NJ…………

Old 01-05-2020, 07:02 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WenigerAberBeser
As long as you’re not pushing your engine hard before it’s warmed up, taking short trips (stopping before engine fully warm) is not an issue.
I believe the issue with short trips is that the engine / oil never get hot enough to burn off the condensation.
Old 01-05-2020, 07:28 PM
GT4Stu
Advanced

I believe the issue with short trips is that the engine / oil never get hot enough to burn off the condensation.
Yes, agreed.
That’s funny man! Bergen Co here. This is mine...

[img]blob:https://rennlist.com/b9a33980-a8af-4e26-a80d-c9f3c7c1a278[/img]
Old 01-05-2020, 08:15 PM
BOPE
Racer

Received 206 Likes on 94 Posts

Indeed, and the condensation combined with sulfur from the fuel and lubricating oil may become sulfuric acid.

Jason
Jim137a (01-06-2020)
Old 01-05-2020, 10:54 PM
fsts2k
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I am getting better at using it as a car... it is wonderful, fast, and beautiful. The first two months I didn't drive it much, wouldn't park it anywhere, etc.. Anyway, lately I have loaded it chock full of stuff, driven it in snow, taken it camping and put more than 5K miles on it. The more I use it the more I like it. Sure it has a few scratches on it now but it is so great to use... The car is quickly becoming a tool for me, a beautiful and wonderful tool.... but something that gets used.

I can't get there with the GT3 yet but the Macan is becoming something great to use everyday.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:45 AM
JBWass
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle start

I have similar fear. 2017 Macan GTS, wife's primary. Short drive in AM, no chance engine heats up in time before parking. Would starting car and letting it run for 5-10 min before heading off be helpful to avoid engine issues long term (CO2 emissions aside!) ??
Old 01-06-2020, 02:11 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by JBWass
I have similar fear. 2017 Macan GTS, wife's primary. Short drive in AM, no chance engine heats up in time before parking. Would starting car and letting it run for 5-10 min before heading off be helpful to avoid engine issues long term (CO2 emissions aside!) ??
I don't believe so. From what I've seen in the past I thought idling isn't great either. How short is the drive? My Macan seems to get to operating temp pretty quickly.

If you're that worried you should buy an electric car for the short commutes.
crunch527 (01-09-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 02:45 PM
JBWass
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
I don't believe so. From what I've seen in the past I thought idling isn't great either. How short is the drive? My Macan seems to get to operating temp pretty quickly.

If you're that worried you should buy an electric car for the short commutes.

it's less than a mile for her on most days. Why is idling bad ?
Old 01-06-2020, 10:03 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by JBWass
it's less than a mile for her on most days. Why is idling bad ?
I thought a lot of it has to do with no load on the engine. Things don't flow the same and I thought I heard at one point it wasn't good for the exhaust as the condensation doesn't get forced out of the pipes and the moisture can rust/corrode the system from the inside.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:26 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Anyone install a catch-can?

Wife's daily driver (mine will remain forever my V8 Touareg not much can out tow it in its class plus air suspension and a gadzillion mods...). For fun threre's the RS5

We're 20 miles out of town (no traffic lights) so engine gets a good warm up but the temp differences are a killer. Reason I change oil in all my cars Spring and Autumn irrespective of mileage due to condensation from 60F in the garage and -40 and below outside.

Oil like brakes and tires are not where you want to save money; whether a Porsche a Touareg, an Audi or a Subaru (or my bobcat fwiw).

siberian

The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow

Last edited by siberian; 01-07-2020 at 12:38 AM.
BOPE (01-07-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 12:36 PM
JonA85
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a Macan S that I daily drive here in New England. Only issue is that its a lot smaller than my Jeep, so I have to put the back seats down to haul my ski gear and hockey gear.

Quick Reply: How do you use your Macan??