Macan 2014-Current

Macan S or GTS

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 07:36 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Macan S or GTS

I'm contemplating getting a Macan S or GTS, what are the issues I have to look out for when I'm shopping?

I'm a 911 owner and it has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. I don't see an major grips on the Macan, am I missing anything?
Old 02-11-2020, 12:40 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
I'm contemplating getting a Macan S or GTS, what are the issues I have to look out for when I'm shopping?

I'm a 911 owner and it has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. I don't see an major grips on the Macan, am I missing anything?
‘Are you looking at new or used vehicles?
Old 02-11-2020, 12:44 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jim137a
‘Are you looking at new or used vehicles?
I’m looking at a 2018 Macan GTS right now.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:57 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

I’m looking at a 2018 Macan GTS right now.
Hopefully it’s CPO and all of the services are up to date.

2 biggest issues were transfer case failure and timing cover leaking oil - I believe earlier MY’s were affected more.

I have a 2017 S with ~ 53K miles and no issues. I purchased it 6 months ago with 45 K miles and love it.

There’s other little complaints such as the sun visors being small, windshield washer fluid being a pain to top off but I can live with those issues as it’s comfortable, handles well and reasonable amount of power.

oh, the front defroster is a bit odd - when you press the defrost button the fan comes on full blast and will roast you in a few minutes.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:26 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

oh, the front defroster is a bit odd - when you press the defrost button the fan comes on full blast and will roast you in a few minutes.
That seems to be a Porsche "feature" - same on my 997.
The following users liked this post:
Pavegeno928 (02-12-2020)
Old 02-11-2020, 03:02 PM
smohr33
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 89 Posts

Hopefully it’s CPO and all of the services are up to date.

2 biggest issues were transfer case failure and timing cover leaking oil - I believe earlier MY’s were affected more.
My 2018 GTS is in the shop for the timing chain cover right now - 10,000 miles on it.

Otherwise no complaints. GTS over an S if you can justify the premium. All V6 pre-facelift Macans will be subject to the same potential timing chain and transfer case issues.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:55 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 887 Likes on 537 Posts

Air suspension was a must for me as I had it on our first gen Cayenne so a GTS was pretty much it as there weren't many S's with it and even a lot of turbos didn't have it. Have a '17 GTS with 25K miles and no issues so far. Love the vehicle- it is my wife's DD and she loves it as well...
The following users liked this post:
AFRJacket (04-07-2024)
Old 02-11-2020, 05:31 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Thanks guys. Any way for me to see the timing chain cover issue when I inspect a vehicle? What are the symptoms?
Old 02-11-2020, 05:40 PM
sgt1372
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 113 Posts

Can't give you any buying advice but drove a standard 2020 Macan as a loaner last week and it was a nice ride.

Pretty peppy even w/the standard engine. Nice interior (leather seats) and excellent handling in sport mode when pushed. Not a fan of paddle shifting but it worked well in the Macan the few times I used it. Liked the display but never could figure out how to change radio channels w/o using the touch screen. No radio controls on the steering wheel; at least not that I noticed. Pretty pricy from what I've read for what you get.

I'd never buy/lease one but I've got a full sized MB suv already and have no need for a small one, especially w/a 911 already in the garage. Also don't see the point of buying an S or GTS, given the even greater cost give that you've already got a 911 in the garage. But, if that's what you want, go for it.

Different strokes for different folks.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:54 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sgt1372
Can't give you any buying advice but drove a standard 2020 Macan as a loaner last week and it was a nice ride.

Pretty peppy even w/the standard engine. Nice interior (leather seats) and excellent handling in sport mode when pushed. Not a fan of paddle shifting but it worked well in the Macan the few times I used it. Liked the display but never could figure out how to change radio channels w/o using the touch screen. No radio controls on the steering wheel; at least not that I noticed. Pretty pricy from what I've read for what you get.

I'd never buy/lease one but I've got a full sized MB suv already and have no need for a small one, especially w/a 911 already in the garage. Also don't see the point of buying an S or GTS, given the even greater cost give that you've already got a 911 in the garage. But, if that's what you want, go for it.

Different strokes for different folks.
I’m looking to buy, as I have the 911 and a BMW M3. The M is a fun car to drive, but looking for something more practical that also has performance. The M was bought to be my winter car when I lived in NC. Now I’m in PA I think I need something more at home in snow.

The GTS would have a half second slower 0-60 time than my M3, but shouldn’t be that noticeably different in performance. As you said, different cars for different needs.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:55 PM
wwahl
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

Thanks guys. Any way for me to see the timing chain cover issue when I inspect a vehicle? What are the symptoms?
Pull the bottom panel and look up at the front of the motor. Best if you are looking at a specific car to have a PPI done.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:33 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by wwahl
Pull the bottom panel and look up at the front of the motor. Best if you are looking at a specific car to have a PPI done.
thanks... is it covered under warranty if there’s a problem?
Old 02-11-2020, 08:38 PM
wwahl
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

thanks... is it covered under warranty if there’s a problem?
Yes, if the warranty is active. If not you have to deal with 'goodwill'.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:48 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by wwahl
Yes, if the warranty is active. If not you have to deal with 'goodwill'.
Perfect, thanks! I’m looking to get a 2018, so I should have peace of mind through warranty coverage.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:02 PM
sgt1372
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 113 Posts

I’m looking to buy, as I have the 911 and a BMW M3. The M is a fun car to drive, but looking for something more practical that also has performance. The M was bought to be my winter car when I lived in NC. Now I’m in PA I think I need something more at home in snow.

The GTS would have a half second slower 0-60 time than my M3, but shouldn’t be that noticeably different in performance. As you said, different cars for different needs.
I also have a BMW 335i in my garage in addition to my 2000 C4 Cab.

Cobb tune (supposedly upped hp to 390), Mishimoto intercooler, a complete M3 front sway & control arms, M3 engine compartment brace, Koni yellows up front/Koni FSDs rear, M193 wheels, Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires and Akebono ceramic brake pads on slotted rotors.

I love them both.

Quick Reply: Macan S or GTS