Notices
Macan 2014-Current
View Poll Results: Has your Macan had the Timing Chain Cover Leak?
Yes I had the timing cover leak
40.31%
No we are the lucky ones (so far)
59.69%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: Yes I have had the oil leak, No I have not

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2021, 05:23 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by JC Lacayo
And then there is hope they put it all back together again properly...
After my Macan GTS was returned to me I drove about 20 miles smelled coolant and found the level in the expansion tank below MIN. I returned it to the dealer and they looked at it on the lift for an hour and found nothing. Oh great. So they filled it up and in less than 50 miles of driving the level is again to the below MIN mark. So I am taking the Macan in again Monday and leaving it with them this time. Fingers grossed they find something.
Old 10-05-2021, 11:24 PM
jonUF02
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Timing cover will become the IMS bearing of Porsche SUVs with this V6 engine. I'm interested in a Macan or Cayenne with this engine, but definitely won't buy one without proof that this has been done. The fact that so many here report the repair at such low mileage, before warranty is up, gives me hope. I'm not paying thousands on top for extended warranty and fighting that fight plus down time.
Old 05-11-2022, 11:04 AM
jonUF02
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Which engines

So which engines seem to have this issue? I'm interested in shopping Macan, but more interested in t he 3.6L turbo power over the 3.0L S or GTS. This poll is 60/40 to the good side, but there is no secondary data point of which engine has the leak issue. In general, it just seems there are fewer 3.6 Turbo cars out there. From what I've read, the 3.6L is mainly a "stroked" version of the 3.0L, but has some other mechanical differences possibly, including compression ratio. No telling if the timing cover part of the assembly line is the same.
Old 05-14-2022, 02:50 PM
Greg2010
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 58 Posts

Mine just came out of the shop. The dealer cleaned up the oily mess and replaced the aluminum bolts/washers with steel bolts/ washers (new procedure I'm told). I was told that there were 5 other Macan's being worked on for the same repair. Thank goodness the repair was N/C (I assume covered by my CPO).
Old 05-20-2022, 11:22 PM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg2010
Mine just came out of the shop. The dealer cleaned up the oily mess and replaced the aluminum bolts/washers with steel bolts/ washers (new procedure I'm told). I was told that there were 5 other Macan's being worked on for the same repair. Thank goodness the repair was N/C (I assume covered by my CPO).
"new procedure"? anyone have details? A way not to spend a week doing this and hopefully a goodwill fix for others ahead.
My '17 had a leak found by my indie at the 30k service, warranty was well out of time but my original dealer had said years ago that it really needed to be a dripper not an oozer or it wasn't covered.
Traded it recently for a '22 and nothing was mentioned.
You know, not too many years ago, gaskets leaked like crazy and the oil blew under the car to act as a corrosion inhibitor and allowed you to keep the oil refreshed by the top ups. How times have changed.
Old 05-21-2022, 12:33 AM
Greg2010
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 58 Posts

The service advisor said that a new tech bulletin has been released that no longer requires the tech to pull the engine to make the repairs (rather they remove the front wheels, wheel well liners, and the the air box to gain access to the aluminum bolts/washers (and replace them with steel bolts/washers).
Old 04-03-2023, 04:21 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Bump

Quick Reply: POLL: Yes I have had the oil leak, No I have not