Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Rear Rotor Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2020, 10:18 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Just replaced rear pads and rotors on my Macan GTS today. Wasn’t too hard to do. Popping off parking brake motor on back of caliper and spinning back parking brake piston clockwise with a XZN triple square (forgot size I used, will check tomorrow) was simple enough. Then caliper piston can be compressed.

Still have pad wear light on so it wasn’t the rear brakes were bad although sensors were starting to wear. Ordered up goods to do fronts this week. Front pads only have 9000 miles on them.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:57 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,325 Posts

Those sensors are ultra sensitive as in the Touaregs. Through the years and given that TOWMBO insists on driving down the mountain resting her foot on the brakes to, after checking and blowing out accumulated brake dust, simply replace the sensor and reset the CEL. Another factor is of course use of the brakes. On the wife's car 40k miles seems to be the norm on mine (and I tow a 30' camper during fishing season) I get nearly double as I drive in manual mode using the gears much more often.

siberian

The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow
Old 03-31-2020, 01:24 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Van1
Just replaced rear pads and rotors on my Macan GTS today. Wasn’t too hard to do. Popping off parking brake motor on back of caliper and spinning back parking brake piston clockwise with a XZN triple square (forgot size I used, will check tomorrow) was simple enough. Then caliper piston can be compressed.

Still have pad wear light on so it wasn’t the rear brakes were bad although sensors were starting to wear. Ordered up goods to do fronts this week. Front pads only have 9000 miles on them.
The sensors are just fragile wires that break when hit by the rotor. They are easy to check, you just need a volt meter or continuity tester, unplug the sensor from the harness and check that it's not an open circuit. It the circuit is open you need to replace the sensor.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:47 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
The only person a wheel lock inconveniences, is the owner.
Totally in agreement with you. Getting wheel locks are like having a bad marriage. Inconvenience is an under statement when you lost the key.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:42 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
Totally in agreement with you. Getting wheel locks are like having a bad marriage. Inconvenience is an under statement when you lost the key.
My sister leaves her lock key in her garage. I suggested leaving the spare tire and jack there too, to save weight. because she is never changing a wheel on the side of the road, if the wheel key is not with the car.
Old 04-04-2020, 01:50 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

I just pulled the wheels and checked the rotors and there's still plenty of wear left in them, so no need to change them.

I noticed that the prior owner installed Pagid blue pads on the rear and these pads have a tendency to squeal, so that explains the noise. Not a great choice for a road car, but tolerable now that I know the noise is attributable to pad choice, rather than rotor or pad wear.
Old 04-12-2020, 12:25 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Good to hear. No pun intended. Have you tried bedding the pads to see if that helps with noise? Often it does. Just be careful not to get rear-ended.
Pagid blues I think are their RS pads. Yes, a bit noisier than most street pads, but they don't fade much if at all in even "heavy duty" driving. I used Porterfields, and with some bedding, not much noise, but some compared to stock. They feel stronger, though.
Old 04-12-2020, 10:08 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4S
Good to hear. No pun intended. Have you tried bedding the pads to see if that helps with noise? Often it does. Just be careful not to get rear-ended.
Pagid blues I think are their RS pads. Yes, a bit noisier than most street pads, but they don't fade much if at all in even "heavy duty" driving. I used Porterfields, and with some bedding, not much noise, but some compared to stock. They feel stronger, though.
Not yet. The car hasn't been out much in the last couple weeks. Once I get an excuse to go out with it, then I'll give it a shot.

Quick Reply: Rear Rotor Replacement?