Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Any Macans with 100k miles out there? Questions about a purchase.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2020, 09:11 PM
DIYDanCars
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Any Macans with 100k miles out there? Questions about a purchase.

Hello Macan Owners, I'm thinking about moving to a Macan Turbo or Macan GTS and had a few questions. Are there any high mileage Macan owners on here? I would like to hear from owners who are closing in on the 100k mile to see how their cars are holding up. I'm coming from a 2005 Cayenne Turbo with 92k miles so I understand these cars are definitely not Lexus like in reliability by any means. I just like to know what i'm getting myself into before hand!

So far the common problems seem to be leaky timing chain cover and transfer case failures (early models only?).

I heard Porsche revised the transfer case in 2019. Is that true? Anything else I may have missed?

Anyone on here have scored cylinders or a PDK failure? These are the two biggest problems that concern me with buying one. I would have thought Porsche would have taken care of this by now. Scored cylinders has been taking place in their vehicles since 2003. Come on Porsche!!

I'm leaning more towards a Turbo over the GTS because of the added power. I test drove a Macan S and while it was a very nice driving car, it lacked the power i'm use too. What exactly is the "Performance Pack" for a Macan Turbo? I have a seen a few cars for sale that are advertised as "Performance Pack", but all I can find is that it's basically a power bump to 440HP. Is it more than this like bigger brakes and a different suspension?

If I was to get one, I would be looking at a MY16-MY17 Turbo or a MY17-MY18 GTS.

Thanks for your time!

Below is a picture of Blackie, my 2005 Cayenne Turbo.

Old 05-31-2020, 12:09 AM
bansasn
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I used to own a 2005 Cayenne turbo and sold it at 138,000 miles. The truck was awesome! Sold it for a 911 turbo. I also have a 2015 Macan Turbo with 100,128K miles. No problems and runs strong. Drives smooth just like when I first bought! No leaks, no issues so far. Just regular routine maintenance. I will be keeping the Macan for another 100K+ mile for sure. I love this beast!
The following 3 users liked this post by bansasn:
CarGuyNVA (06-02-2020), DJSAPBLU (05-31-2020), Michael Branham (06-18-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 12:40 AM
SillyGoose
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

check your PM. I sent you a message
Old 05-31-2020, 12:42 AM
DIYDanCars
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bansasn
I used to own a 2005 Cayenne turbo and sold it at 138,000 miles. The truck was awesome! Sold it for a 911 turbo. I also have a 2015 Macan Turbo with 100,128K miles. No problems and runs strong. Drives smooth just like when I first bought! No leaks, no issues so far. Just regular routine maintenance. I will be keeping the Macan for another 100K+ mile for sure. I love this beast!
Thanks! Which one feels faster to you? The Cayenne Turbo or Macan Turbo?

At what mileage did you purchase your car at? I'm just surprised no suspension work has been repaired yet. I thought all german cars needed their control arms replaced by 75k mile!?

Last edited by DIYDanCars; 05-31-2020 at 01:09 AM.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:10 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

Bought new macan S
Approaching 140,000 miles
No timing cover leaks, no transfer case
No bore scoring or PDK issues

Did have a wheel bearing go out and the passenger air bag seat sensor needs replaced.

All suspension is still tight and car drives like new.
The following users liked this post:
DJSAPBLU (05-31-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 09:31 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,191 Likes on 3,947 Posts

Dan, don't sell the Cayenne - we need you to keep making the DIY videos for it.

Yes, there are PDK failures and bore scoring occurrences with the Macan. Last scoring thread was just in the past couple weeks on a 40k mile Macan. When I was considering one a couple years ago, the PDK failures made me hold off as I found 5 or so at the time and some at pretty low mileage. Maybe 5 isn't many considering the number of Macans sold, but with no repair option and just total replacement at a cost of about $14,000 wasn't a gamble I wanted to take.

Here's the recent scoring thread with links to additional ones.

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...e-scoring.html
Old 05-31-2020, 11:18 AM
DIYDanCars
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
Dan, don't sell the Cayenne - we need you to keep making the DIY videos for it.

Yes, there are PDK failures and bore scoring occurrences with the Macan. Last scoring thread was just in the past couple weeks on a 40k mile Macan. When I was considering one a couple years ago, the PDK failures made me hold off as I found 5 or so at the time and some at pretty low mileage. Maybe 5 isn't many considering the number of Macans sold, but with no repair option and just total replacement at a cost of about $14,000 wasn't a gamble I wanted to take.

Here's the recent scoring thread with links to additional ones.

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...e-scoring.html

haha! Thanks Petza914! I hate to see it go, but i'm now getting the urge for something new. I was also thinking about a Tesla Model Y Performance.

My Cayenne has been really good to me over the last year or so. I guess all of those while you're in there (WYIT) type of repairs are finally starting to pay off!

Yeah, that's my biggest concern is having a PDK failure or scored cylinders out of warranty. I'm blown away that scored cylinders are still a problem with this new generation of Porsche vehicles. This should have been taken care of years ago! And the more research I do on the PDK, the more i'm finding that maybe it isn't as durable as Porsche would lead you to believe. I have some thinking to do...
Old 05-31-2020, 11:47 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The mechanicals in the PDK actualky seem to be fairly robust - its the electronics that seem to cause most of the failures, problem is they're not really repairable for the most part and require a complete transmission swap. I usually avoid aftermarket warranties, but I think if I was going to move forward on a Macan, I'd probably buy one.

I waited long enough to miss my Macan window. Wife was DD'ing her 997 while the kids were small enough to use the resr seats, then she started using my pickup for the easier school drop off and pick up. Now my daughter is actually driving and we bought her a BMW X5, so they're using the Bimmer as we teach her to drive. Once my daughter has her license, my wife will only be driving our son around again, so the 997 will be back to DD duty.

I'd recommend you buy an n52 6-cylinder BMW X5 and start a DIY video series on that - LOL
Old 05-31-2020, 01:52 PM
DIYDanCars
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
The mechanicals in the PDK actualky seem to be fairly robust - its the electronics that seem to cause most of the failures, problem is they're not really repairable for the most part and require a complete transmission swap. I usually avoid aftermarket warranties, but I think if I was going to move forward on a Macan, I'd probably buy one.

I waited long enough to miss my Macan window. Wife was DD'ing her 997 while the kids were small enough to use the resr seats, then she started using my pickup for the easier school drop off and pick up. Now my daughter is actually driving and we bought her a BMW X5, so they're using the Bimmer as we teach her to drive. Once my daughter has her license, my wife will only be driving our son around again, so the 997 will be back to DD duty.

I'd recommend you buy an n52 6-cylinder BMW X5 and start a DIY video series on that - LOL
BMW is a four letter word in my house. We had one once and it was the single worst car experience we have ever had. It was so bad that I will never buy another BMW again! In my opinion BMW's are built to last the length of the factory warranty, after that, god help you! My neighbor is a hardcore BMW guy and he purchases a new 5 series every 5-6 years. Simply put, I see the flat bed truck over at his house too much for me to even consider another one. This also tells me much hasn't changed since we sold ours. I recently spoke to him and he's thinking of getting a Mercedes next time, that says a lot from a guy who has been purchasing new 5 series for decades now.

I have narrowed it down to either a Macan or Model Y.
The following users liked this post:
horse (06-18-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 06:14 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DIYDanCars
BMW is a four letter word in my house. We had one once and it was the single worst car experience we have ever had. It was so bad that I will never buy another BMW again! In my opinion BMW's are built to last the length of the factory warranty, after that, god help you! My neighbor is a hardcore BMW guy and he purchases a new 5 series every 5-6 years. Simply put, I see the flat bed truck over at his house too much for me to even consider another one. This also tells me much hasn't changed since we sold ours. I recently spoke to him and he's thinking of getting a Mercedes next time, that says a lot from a guy who has been purchasing new 5 series for decades now.

This one is a pre-DFI car and rhe 6 cylinder that has had a pretty good track record for many years. My research revealed that no way did I want one of the 8 cylinders. I've already replaced a few things like the purge vent valve that keeps it from starting each time you fill it up and new cam and crank position sensors. Going to do the full transmission service at 100k miles with the pan and shifter valves. Hoping it will be a decent car for her as she likes the way it drives and drives it well.

i though about getting her a Macan, but they're still too new and were out of the price range.

Good luck with your search.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:01 AM
bansasn
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks! Which one feels faster to you? The Cayenne Turbo or Macan Turbo?

At what mileage did you purchase your car at? I'm just surprised no suspension work has been repaired yet. I thought all german cars needed their control arms replaced by 75k mile!?
Both are different. The Cayenne feels fast heavy but powerful (tuned to 500hp)! The Macan feels fast and agile and refined. They both feel fast in different ways. I think my old Cayenne feels a little faster do to the tune. Bought the Macan at 78K miles.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:49 AM
tk-porsche
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

The last two BMWs (X1 and X3) of ours have had a number of issues. The '14 X1 had ill leaks and a weird squeal when turning in one direction. The '14 X3 had just under 90k miles and would have set me back a lot to deal with all that needed fixing, sadly just after the CPO expired. I already had to do a second rear brake rotor and pad replacement plus the battery. The glove box door peeled apart and the transmission shift selector also partly failed. There were oil leaks, as well. The quality of the more recent BMWs seems to have plummeted. The newer MBs seem nice and are comparably priced. Alas, their CPO warranties are not great and BMW seems to have pretty much copied them. Seems hard to beat the Porsche CPO deal for this class of vehicle, plus the reliability ratings for the Macan have been really good. Whether or not to retain an vehicle past any sort of warranty is a whole separate topic for much debate.

Last edited by tk-porsche; 06-06-2020 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-06-2020, 02:44 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Cayenne S driven to 198K and current Macan Turbo @ 85K. Both were/are excellent and no regrets.
Old 06-06-2020, 03:53 PM
DJSAPBLU
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank goodness someone out there is getting us back on track to the original OP question...THANK YOU...
Old 06-07-2020, 09:06 PM
DIYDanCars
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by medtech
Cayenne S driven to 198K and current Macan Turbo @ 85K. Both were/are excellent and no regrets.
Your 955 series Cayenne S was "excellent"? I love my turbo, but from a reliability stand point it was anything but "excellent". You never had any of these problems: coil packs (Porsche is on their 20th something revision of these things), control arms, plastic coolant pipes, brake booster faulty message, coolant expansion tank, hatch struts every few years, bose amplifier failure...? If not, are you sure it was a Cayenne S and not a Toyota?

Thanks for the feedback on the Macan. I'm leaning more towards a Model Y now. Scored cylinders and PDK failures are really concerning me.

Last edited by DIYDanCars; 06-08-2020 at 07:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Any Macans with 100k miles out there? Questions about a purchase.