Would you buy the Macan again?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 07:01 PM
SillyGoose
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by GoBlue!
I love my Panamera more than my Macan
Do you live in an urban area like Las Vegas full of traffic lights? I see youre in Minnesota so you might not
Old 07-10-2020, 11:47 PM
GoBlue!
Pro

Received 261 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by SillyGoose
Do you live in an urban area like Las Vegas full of traffic lights? I see youre in Minnesota so you might not
Minneapolis. Macan zips around really good in traffic. Panamera isn’t too big.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:09 AM
Anestheticg
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I think a lot depends on road conditions in your area. Some of the roads are so bad in the NE a macan with appropriate wheels/ tires makes more sense than a low sedan. Driving my lowered 996 is a downright PITA avoiding potholes. If I lived with Cali roads maybe a Panamera makes more sense...
Old 07-11-2020, 12:21 PM
ImpliedConsent
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I'd rather buy a used Porsche Macan than a new {insert favorite brand here}. As is Porsche, I've never driven a better SUV -- Ever (sans Cayenne). Since I'm pretty sure that I'll always have an SUV (spoiled dog), there's no longer any reason for me to shop anywhere else. The only upgrade I'd do is go from Macan Turbo to Cayenne.
Old 07-11-2020, 01:17 PM
Anestheticg
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent
I'd rather buy a used Porsche Macan than a new {insert favorite brand here}. As is Porsche, I've never driven a better SUV -- Ever (sans Cayenne). Since I'm pretty sure that I'll always have an SUV (spoiled dog), there's no longer any reason for me to shop anywhere else. The only upgrade I'd do is go from Macan Turbo to Cayenne.
agree. Just have a dog but if our family were to grow I would opt up to a cayenne S or turbo. The turbos really depreciate quite a lot which is nice for a second hand buyer
Old 07-11-2020, 03:18 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

I've had both. I currently have a Panamera (the sport turismo i.e station wagon, so more of a proper hatch in the back). If you haul passengers a lot, the Macan is a bit of a tight fit and the Panamera is much more comfortable. The Panamera is roughly the same width as a Macan, but it is MUCH longer. I mean a lot. If you are going to spend time in urban parking lots, the Macan is far, far easier to maneuver (and that's true even considering that it doesn't even have a rear axle steering option). The Macan and Panamera differ enough (especially in price) that it is hard to understand how you'd cross shop them... what's your use case? Daily driver? Long commute? Road trips? Weekend fun? Family hauling? Uber driver? Camping trips? x? y? z?
The following users liked this post:
Blarghicide (08-04-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 04:23 PM
SillyGoose
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by digits
I've had both. I currently have a Panamera (the sport turismo i.e station wagon, so more of a proper hatch in the back). If you haul passengers a lot, the Macan is a bit of a tight fit and the Panamera is much more comfortable. The Panamera is roughly the same width as a Macan, but it is MUCH longer. I mean a lot. If you are going to spend time in urban parking lots, the Macan is far, far easier to maneuver (and that's true even considering that it doesn't even have a rear axle steering option). The Macan and Panamera differ enough (especially in price) that it is hard to understand how you'd cross shop them... what's your use case? Daily driver? Long commute? Road trips? Weekend fun? Family hauling? Uber driver? Camping trips? x? y? z?
Daily driver for a single person in an urban environment. Possible 2nd passenger sometimes.

Ive heard that the rear axle steering option in the Panamera makes it bounce a bit left and right in the lanes when youre not touching the steering wheel much. Is this true?
Old 07-11-2020, 04:37 PM
Pat1202
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I use my Macan as a daily driver - great at dodging the potholes in MN - lol - handles nicely on the side streets and very smooth on the freeway with cruise control on - can't wait until it snows! lol - If I were hauling people everyday, probably a bit tight, would then take back my E class - but now it's just the wife, golf clubs and tennis racquets - which fit in the back hatch with room to spare!
Old 07-11-2020, 05:35 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by SillyGoose
Daily driver for a single person in an urban environment. Possible 2nd passenger sometimes.

Ive heard that the rear axle steering option in the Panamera makes it bounce a bit left and right in the lanes when youre not touching the steering wheel much. Is this true?
If 4 (or more) passengers isn't likely, I really can't see how you'd go with a Panamera. The Macan is a much more usable car in an urban environment. It really does drive (almost) like a car, too. Get the air suspension. I've owned two Macans, one with and one without air suspension and I can't recommend it enough.

I've never heard of (or experienced) the Panamera bouncing around in the lanes - and I do have rear axle steering. If the road surface has ruts, it will tramline a bit (the tires are pretty wide) but on a normal road it's remarkably well behaved. I turn off the lane keep assist, though, because that feature is often really annoying (with that feature turned on it WILL bounce off the lane markings).
ImpliedConsent (07-15-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 11:59 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

I had a 2015 Macan Turbo and switched to an Audi A4 Allroad. The Audi was a very nice car, but I couldn't wait to get back into a Macan. I now have a 2020 S and love it.
Blarghicide (08-04-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 12:18 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 192 Posts

It's the perfect size for us. I have 3 small bichons. 2 crates in the back and one in rear passenger. We take it on long road trips with the 3 amigos my wife and daughter. It's such a comfortable ride on long jaunts with great handling. Would not hesitate to get another one in a heartbeat.
Blarghicide (08-04-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 07:05 PM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

We have two and yes both times.
Old 07-26-2020, 10:06 AM
MAPC
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Unequivocally YES.

I loved my 2018 base Macan....so much so that I decided to sell it to upgrade to a GTS or Turbo. Was looking for a CPO but with what I am looking for it has been proving futile. So, I started looking at other things. Drove a Panamera Sport Turismo. Nice car but just not me. Too big, didn't feel nimble. Then I drove an RS5- which I will admit I REALLY REALLY liked. Great discounting on new ones, 0% financing, good tech, sexy, etc.....then I realized that it felt too 'fancy' for me. I think I am just more of a high-end/aggressive SUV guy than an high-end/aggressive sedan guy.

SO....it looks like I am about to order a new 2021 Macan GTS...unless a perfect CPO pops up in the next few days (which is highly unlikely).
Old 07-26-2020, 12:28 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Just in case my RS5 is still for sale...

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1203414

siberian
Old 07-28-2020, 12:46 AM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Absolutely! Just took the Turbo for a 10mile off-road drive and had a blast! The car drives great, has multiple modes, and accelerates as fast as my 987 Spyder.
Expensive to maintain though (more than any other P-car I've owned).

Quick Reply: Would you buy the Macan again?