Macan 2014-Current

What is your wheel/ tire set up summer/winter

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 05:07 PM
Anestheticg
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default What is your wheel/ tire set up summer/winter

I live in the NE and I’ve always gotten away with a good all season tire on my awd sedans. I bought a gen 1 turbo a couple months ago and it has conti summer tires on 21” sport classics. I bought a used set of 20” spyder wheels for winter. Just thinking far in advance but what’s everyone running summer/winter. I think a dedicated summer tire may be overkill for my daily and I may replace my summer tires when the time comes for an AS and run a winter tire during the winter months.
Old 07-10-2020, 05:21 PM
PSEE
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

I too have a gen. 1 Turbo. Shortly after I bought it I picked up a set of black Spyders which came with Michelin
Latitude HP tires. I ran them for 1 winter and wasn't too crazy about their snow performance. For the subsequent
winters I've used Michelin Latitude Alpin tires - and they've been GREAT!

I grew up learning how to drive in VT - before there were ABS systems, traction control, etc. In those days, people
put snow tires only on the rear of their vehicles.
The following users liked this post:
Liste-Renn (07-18-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 05:45 PM
rosen39
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Pirelli Scorpion Winter tires on my base 4 cylinder Macan (18"). When you buy the tires from this dealer, they mount winter tires and re-balance, and then in spring they re-mount all season tires and re-balance for no charge. A second set of aftermarket wheels and TPMS sensors would have added $800 to the winter package. You just have to sit there and wait while they do it. The Pirelli's were good in the snow and on ice crusted roads.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:15 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Stock 20” black Spyders with Michelin Latitude Sport 3s for summer on our GTS. 19” Porsche Macan Design wheels with Pirelli Scorpion Winter tires for winter. I generally go with the smallest and narrowest factory wheel I can for winter setups.

Something to keep in mind for those who are considering or already change out tires seasonally on the same wheels, that is two times a year every year you are giving the tire guy the opportunity to scratch up your wheels. And given the frequency that even the best guys do it your odds of getting scratched up wheels are high. I’d rather only give them the opportunity once every 4-6 years. Plus I like the ability to swap out wheels in my own garage on my own schedule as it takes less than 20 minutes to do.
Blarghicide (07-28-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 08:13 PM
ssort
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question:
i'm looking for a 'square' vs staggered set up for my winter tires/wheels. Anyone know if a Audi Q5 (or maybe Q7) wheel will fit a GTS? Reason for looking for Audi option is that all P branded take offs from Macan are staggared.

thanks!

Tracy
Old 07-11-2020, 09:23 PM
rosen39
Advanced

Originally Posted by ssort
Question:
i'm looking for a 'square' vs staggered set up for my winter tires/wheels. Anyone know if a Audi Q5 (or maybe Q7) wheel will fit a GTS? Reason for looking for Audi option is that all P branded take offs from Macan are staggared.

thanks!

Tracy
Check with Tire Rack.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:56 PM
ssort
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks, i've done that. trying to avoid another set of cheap TR wheels. i have a set from my AMG wagon with winters that are proving tough to sell.

tr
alsamrob4 (11-29-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 10:46 PM
rosen39
Advanced

Originally Posted by ssort
thanks, i've done that. trying to avoid another set of cheap TR wheels. i have a set from my AMG wagon with winters that are proving tough to sell.

tr
What I was trying to convey is Tire Rack may be able to tell you what cars have a similar bolt pattern, center bore, and wheel offset. Yes, Tire Rack Sport Edition wheels are inexpensive and after five seasons, the paint may peel, but they are just winter wheels. I clean and wax the wheels each spring before putting them away, but the finish just does not hold up to New England winters.
OOA5599 (08-14-2020)
Old 07-18-2020, 06:43 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,192 Likes on 550 Posts

I have a 2018 Macan GTS that came with OEM Pirelli P Zero Summer Performance tires.

No complaints with them, except at temps in the low 40's, crossing mountain passes. They are not designed for cold conditions, and felt rock hard and had reduced traction and braking performance. I asked for Michelin Latitude Sports, but Porsche would not let me specify the brand on a new delivery- just summer or all season.

In January, I put a set of Michelin Alpin tires on my OEM wheels for a 2000-mile roadtrip from Portland to Bend, to Seattle, Mt Baker, Vancouver, to Whistler, then the entire Powder Highway across the coast range and Canadian Rockies. Excellent tires in all conditions encountered: deep snow, slush, some black ice, gravel, heavy rain, etc. Perfect match for the Macan GTS Air Suspension and drivetrain. Simply amazing.

I did look at purchasing a second set of wheels, but opted to use the OEM Spyders. If you use a reputable shop, with the touchless mount machine, and watch the work being done, with a promise of a $20 tip for taking care not to scratch the painted wheel- you should be fine with using one set of wheels.
I am going with the Michelin Latitude Sport tires when I swap back to summer rubber. The Pirellis have enough tread for another 1000 miles or so, but why tempt fate with another mount and chance of a scratched wheel?
Blarghicide (07-28-2020)
Old 07-18-2020, 07:28 PM
Anestheticg
Racer

Lucky for me my wheels are already wabi sabi and have some curb rash on both sets 🤷🏻‍♂️😆
Old 07-23-2020, 07:45 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,325 Posts

19" as anything wider is nonsensical here. Winter tires? Nokian Hakka 9 studded, where others slow down. Winter rims are the basic 19" OEM.

Summer rims are Dotz staggered, incredible value for money from Germany. When the OEM summer tires wear out I'll switch to Toyo as I need harder and off road tires given road conditions.

siberian
Old 07-25-2020, 06:39 PM
ozziegt
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

I run the 21" pirelli scorpion zero all season plus all year around on mine. When I bought the Macan 2 years ago, it had the Latitude 3 on there. I never really noticed a significant difference between those summer tires and the scorpion zero all seasons that I run now. I live in VA and don't really get bad enough winter weather to justify dedicated winter tires.
Old 07-26-2020, 10:55 AM
Anestheticg
Racer

Originally Posted by ozziegt
I run the 21" pirelli scorpion zero all season plus all year around on mine. When I bought the Macan 2 years ago, it had the Latitude 3 on there. I never really noticed a significant difference between those summer tires and the scorpion zero all seasons that I run now. I live in VA and don't really get bad enough winter weather to justify dedicated winter tires.
where are you located? Do you see a lot of snow? How do the all seasons hold up? I think getting dedicated winters is a bit of overkill but I got the extra 20” wheels for it so I might as well. For the 1-2 days I need it commuting I guess it’s better to be safe than sorry
MidCoastMainer (11-24-2021)
Old 07-28-2020, 07:49 PM
Blarghicide
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

21" Summers:
Pirelli P Zeros. The have made it to their fourth summer. No complaints.
I have primarily had Michelin summers on my past cars, but these have been really good tires. May stay with Pirelli when they need replacing next year.

19" Winters:
Retired - Hankook Icept EVO2 - 3 winters.
Drove them across the I-90 from Chicago to Seattle in Feb 2019 through some pretty hairy conditions, handled everything.
Current - Pirelli Scorpion Winter - Enjoyed them this past winter. May have a bit more grip than the Hankooks.

19" All Seasons:
To accommodate an August trip to the mountains with an October+ return, getting a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ put on the winter rims. They have strong reviews, have high hopes.
Old 07-28-2020, 08:00 PM
Anestheticg
Racer

Originally Posted by Blarghicide
21" Summers:
Pirelli P Zeros. The have made it to their fourth summer. No complaints.
I have primarily had Michelin summers on my past cars, but these have been really good tires. May stay with Pirelli when they need replacing next year.

19" Winters:
Retired - Hankook Icept EVO2 - 3 winters.
Drove them across the I-90 from Chicago to Seattle in Feb 2019 through some pretty hairy conditions, handled everything.
Current - Pirelli Scorpion Winter - Enjoyed them this past winter. May have a bit more grip than the Hankooks.

19" All Seasons:
To accommodate an August trip to the mountains with an October+ return, getting a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ put on the winter rims. They have strong reviews, have high hopes.
how many miles did you get out of the summer pirelli’s? Thanks for the info on winters. I’ll buy winter tires for 20” spyders.
I have pilot sport a/s3+ that Ive even done track duty with on my 996. They are amazing in the wet. On track they get very hot and greasy after about session 2... swapping to summers soon for track for the 996 but you will be happy with them... they’re great. No snow experience with them.
Blarghicide (08-04-2020)

Quick Reply: What is your wheel/ tire set up summer/winter