Macan 2014-Current

Brake Dust Expectations

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2020, 06:50 PM
Shak180
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rasetsu
Have you done all of this or are you guessing? My wheels were ceramic coated when I had the rest of the car done. Ceramic coating wheels alone in my area is about $500 which includes full wheel removal and coating the barrel, calipers, and fender liners. I just had my pads replaced at an indie shop for $450 labor. I purchased the pads online for $150 front and rear. Ceramic pads cut down on dust accumulation tremendously. I fully understand that what each person to considers to be "$$$" is subjective but I also wouldn't write off the project as some kind unobtanium either.
I was quoted here in the SF Bay Area $800 to $900 for just the wheels to be ceramic quoted by 2 different detail shops. They tried to justify the price with keywords like baking the coating with heat lamps blah blah blah. Maybe you live in an area with shops that aren't trying to price gouge. I can only imagine what they would have quoted if I asked for a price including the wheel wells and calipers 😳

This project is hardly unobtaniun but depending on where you live and who does the work it can jump up into the $2k+ price range.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:32 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,881 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by Shak180
Changing brake pads on all 4 corners and ceramic coating all 4 wheels is not a walk in the park. Definitely a full days work if not a partial weekend for a DIYer. If you take it to a shop get ready for a big bill $$$. Also even if you change from a semi metallic pad to a ceramic pad you're still going to have brake dust accumulation.
Wow. This really surprises me. I can do a pad change on all four wheels on a Macan S, my Porsche 991S, or my BMW M3 (take your pick) in under an hour if I'm focused on getting a car ready for a track day, 90 minutes if I'm distracted changing the radio station, checking a text, getting a beer and some Doritos. I do have air tools, however. The hardest part is lifting the vehicle. It's about 10 minutes a wheel, add another 7 minutes for rotor swaps to that.

If I'm putting on ceramic pads, there's no need to coat the wheel, they are virtually dustless. Have you ever done a pad change yourself? It really is a walk in the park!

Last edited by drcollie; 09-08-2020 at 12:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
rasetsu (09-08-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 12:44 AM
Shak180
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Wow. This really surprises me. I can do a pad change on all four wheels on a Macan S, my Porsche 991S, or my BMW M3 (take your pick) in under an hour if I'm focused on getting a car ready for a track day, 90 minutes if I'm distracted changing the radio station, checking a text, getting a beer and some Doritos. I do have air tools, however. The hardest part is lifting the vehicle. It's about 10 minutes a wheel, add another 7 minutes for rotor swaps to that.

If I'm putting on ceramic pads, there's no need to coat the wheel, they are virtually dustless. Have you ever done a pad change yourself? It really is a walk in the park!
No air tools and I'm a single dad with 2 young kids so there are no "quick" undertakings in this house. Brake jobs are done off a jack and jack stands, sitting on my butt, and I always try to detail the wheels, wheel wells, suspension, and whatever I can reach with my hands and a microfiber whenever I get a wheel off. It's almost a guarantee that one of the kids is going to need help with something every 30 minutes. So I guess you're right that the time of a task is very variable from one driveway to the next.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:54 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,061 Posts

had shop quote a few options. Endless has MX72 pad available... about 350/axle. these are good pads, similar to the TS20 that you can get from race tech/brembo. low dust, good performance.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:35 PM
smohr33
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 89 Posts

Installed Centric Posi Quiet ceramic pads on my GTS today that I purchased on Tire Rack.

Install went pretty smoothly. Pads that came off were OEM with 15k miles. If anyone's interested they happened to be Akebono fronts and Ferodo (Audi stamped) rears. Changed because I was sick of the dust.

Only drove for ~10 miles to bed them so tough to give feedback but these feel almost identical to the stock pads. Maybe a little less bite than stock, but better than I was expecting. There's a hint of dust on the wheels, but I did some hard repeated stops to bed them. The stock pads would have been way dustier. Rotors looked like they were in great shape as expected.

I'll report back once I have some real mileage on them.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:17 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by smohr33
Thanks, looking forward to hearing your thoughts as you get more miles on them.
OldJedi (11-04-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 11:55 AM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I do have air tools, however. The hardest part is lifting the vehicle. It's about 10 minutes a wheel, add another 7 minutes for rotor swaps to that.
Careful using air tools ... there are torque specs on the caliper bolts, rotor bolts, and lug nuts. Incorrectly torqueing them can warp them. Also be careful when pressing the pistons back into the calipers ... don't want to force brake fluid out of top of the master cylinder or pop a seal.

If you don't want brake dust spec PCCBs. My 18 Macan S 20" wheels have much, much less brake dust than my 981 BGTS 20" wheels.
Old 09-26-2020, 04:49 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by smohr33
Installed Centric Posi Quiet ceramic pads on my GTS today that I purchased on Tire Rack.

Install went pretty smoothly. Pads that came off were OEM with 15k miles. If anyone's interested they happened to be Akebono fronts and Ferodo (Audi stamped) rears. Changed because I was sick of the dust.

Only drove for ~10 miles to bed them so tough to give feedback but these feel almost identical to the stock pads. Maybe a little less bite than stock, but better than I was expecting. There's a hint of dust on the wheels, but I did some hard repeated stops to bed them. The stock pads would have been way dustier. Rotors looked like they were in great shape as expected.

Thanks for this. Can you post the part numbers? The guy at Tire Rack I spoke to a while back was clueless about the GTS specs.

Old 10-02-2020, 12:30 AM
gamille
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

I can second Centric Posi Quiet. I use them on all my rides and put them on all 4 corners of our GTS without issue.

Whatever brand, ceramic will cut down on wheel cleaning, period. You may notice initial bite is slightly less, but that will be it. I won’t have a car with nice wheels without changing to ceramic pads, when possible.

There’s nothing complicated about the brake job, and I used the manual method for the rear brake parking brake adjustment you can google.

Tire rack is always awesome.

I’m so lazy, and it makes cleaning so much easier.
Old 10-02-2020, 12:37 AM
gamille
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Thanks for this. Can you post the part numbers? The guy at Tire Rack I spoke to a while back was clueless about the GTS specs.
105.15470 for the rear (GTS and S are same; someone can correct if I’m wrong), $56

105.13490 for front, $76

These confirmed to fit my 2018 Macan GTS.

Mark in Baltimore (10-02-2020)
Old 10-02-2020, 11:23 AM
smohr33
Racer

Originally Posted by gamille
105.15470 for the rear (GTS and S are same; someone can correct if I’m wrong), $56

105.13490 for front, $76

Correct, same part #'s I have that worked for my GTS.

I put 400 miles on them so far. They are definitely not "dustless" in the way that PCCBs are, but I'd say they produce 50%+ less dust and perform very similar to the stock pads for daily driving. Real world street usage, you would probably never know the difference.

My black sport classics would turn brown with a thick layer of dust after a couple hundred miles on stock pads, you all know what I mean because you're viewing this thread lol.

My wheels are definitely not spotless after 400 miles, you can see where I wiped my finger, but this would be maybe 100 miles on stock pads, not 400. The wheels still look somewhat clean from 10 feet away, where as with the stock pads they were just solid brown. When I wiped my finger the dust was very light and came right off. Not the thick dark brown gunk that you're used to from the stock pads.

Very satisfied.

Last edited by smohr33; 10-02-2020 at 11:25 AM.
TurboS_GG (10-03-2020)
Old 10-03-2020, 10:02 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

105.13490 for front, $76

Really appreciate you posting these part numbers. Thank you.
Old 10-04-2020, 01:54 PM
gamille
Advanced

No problem, not trying to steal any thunder, just had them in my Tire Rack account so real easy to get to.

Not to hijack this, but Smohr33 did you re-use the pad backings from the original pads on the back of the centrics?
Old 10-04-2020, 07:32 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Fit a set of these and watch the brake dust dissapear entirely.

​​​​​​https://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resu...&brand=Akebono

The will give up a small amount of braking distance, i would estimate 5%.

You should not use these on track days if you are inclined to take a Macan S to DE School.

They work!
I have F/R Akebono pads on my 2013 X3 3.5. Brake dust is completely eliminated. I'd buy another set - but am looking to replace the car this Spring with a Macan GTS. If I have a brake dust issue with the GTS, I would go the same route.
Old 10-04-2020, 09:33 PM
smohr33
Racer

No problem, not trying to steal any thunder, just had them in my Tire Rack account so real easy to get to.

Not to hijack this, but Smohr33 did you re-use the pad backings from the original pads on the back of the centrics?
No, used the ones that came on the centrics.

Quick Reply: Brake Dust Expectations