Leather Interior vs Standard Interior

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 11:19 AM
summacognos
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Leather Interior vs Standard Interior

Hello,

Anybody have any thoughts on the Leather Interior package vs Standard Interior decision? Is the additional leather you gain in the Leather Interior Package worth the $1,870?
Old 12-29-2020, 12:00 PM
2021Macan
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by summacognos
Hello,
Anybody have any thoughts on the Leather Interior package vs Standard Interior decision? Is the additional leather you gain in the Leather Interior Package worth the $1,870?
Whether it's "worth it" or not is a personal decision. The Leather Interior Package covers more of the interior surfaces (with the leather you choose) than the Standard Interior, so it does look a little richer. You might want to check them out at your local dealer if they have one of each.
Old 12-29-2020, 02:08 PM
JC Lacayo
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

Yes. I like leather and it looks better on the dash, sides of seat, etc. (depends on location of spec package). I like it much better than the pleather, fabric, or alcantera I've had on Pcars before.
Old 12-29-2020, 02:49 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Rough options on the Macan:

standard interior: leather or alcantera/leather seat surfaces (depending seat choice), plastic dash, plastic door panels
partial leather: leather seat surfaces, leather dash with stitching
Full leather: leather seat surfaces, dash, door tops, panels, etc. you can extend this with additional leather and stitching with options

We have the partial leather in red/black 2 tone. I think the full leather is nicer, but, I didn't like all the red and preferred the red/black contrast of the partial leather. Main thing I'd have liked is leather door tops/stitching to match the dash

Anyway, Driven quite a few macan loaners with the fabric seat centers and don't like them.

Old 12-29-2020, 04:29 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by summacognos
Hello,

Had full leather on my 981S and ordered it on my GTS. Would not buy a new Porsche without it. Whether it's worth it to you is completely subjective. See if your dealer has both and you can compare.
Old 12-29-2020, 08:57 PM
jonmartin
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Highly important for me. Car feels way more luxurious then without it. I personally have full leather.
Old 12-30-2020, 11:17 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,188 Likes on 3,945 Posts

Agree. All my Porsches have the full leather option. It's a deal breaker option for me when shopping used as the plastic dash and doors don't feel or look right in what's supposed to be a high-end car.
Old 12-30-2020, 12:09 PM
JDailey
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 44 Posts

I ordered the 14-way seats with the "partial leather" option and didn't think twice about it. I've never gotten into my car and thought it looked cheap.
The reality is that some of us have budget constraints. The Macan is the most expensive vehicle I've ever bought, but I bought it outright with no car payment and that required being thoughtful about options.
So it's really up to you. I don't think the Macan looks any cheaper than my past Audi's or BMWs. But if you're coming from a Bentley or even a higher-end Mercedes, then you may want to layer on more of these options.

Good luck!

James
Denver, CO
Old 12-30-2020, 11:47 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

The leather dash alone is worth the extra $$$ over the plastic dash.
The following users liked this post:
Liste-Renn (01-04-2021)
Old 12-31-2020, 02:54 PM
LC200
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

This is the base model gray interior.

It looks brownish in certain lighting. The dash looks pretty damn good, and I’m not really looking at it that often. The seat insert material will pull yoga pants off of your passenger’s butt. Not sure if that’s a feature or a defect.

those are the non-sport seats, I like them because they are wide and flat and super comfy.

As you can see, I like cheap Porsches, because that means I can have several at once.
The following users liked this post:
s85b50 (09-20-2022)
Old 12-31-2020, 09:47 PM
tk-porsche
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by JDailey
I ordered the 14-way seats with the "partial leather" option and didn't think twice about it. I've never gotten into my car and thought it looked cheap.
The reality is that some of us have budget constraints. The Macan is the most expensive vehicle I've ever bought, but I bought it outright with no car payment and that required being thoughtful about options.
So it's really up to you. I don't think the Macan looks any cheaper than my past Audi's or BMWs. But if you're coming from a Bentley or even a higher-end Mercedes, then you may want to layer on more of these options.

Good luck!

James
Denver, CO
Agreed. The seats will hold up fine and are plenty comfortable. At least as far as the driver is concerned, how much time do you really spend staring at the upholstery?
Old 01-01-2021, 04:04 PM
Fang911
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 207 Posts

There’s no “correct answer”- its like diamonds and stereos. Some people are sensitive to / notice the color in a I-color diamond or the lower resolution of a Bose stereo; others arent. To me the feel / perceived quality of the full leather interior in a 911, Macan, M3, etc is very noticeable and is worth every penny; others arent aware of it until its pointed out to them.

Last edited by Fang911; 01-01-2021 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-06-2021, 10:45 PM
sonicworld
Racer

Received 187 Likes on 108 Posts

On the macanforums.co.uk someone suggested this trick to determine exactly where leather is applied when comparing standard interior, partial leather or full leather. On the configurator select "Black/Garnet Red" under the various leather options. In each step wherever red is applied is leather. I think the only areas not illustrated in this exercise are the added leather/stitching that runs along the top of the dash when selecting "partial leather" plus each door when selecting "full leather". Can anyone here confirm if this trick is accurate?

Last edited by sonicworld; 02-07-2021 at 07:49 AM.
Old 02-07-2021, 11:07 AM
mvmojo
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts

One caution on leather seating. if you or your spouse are taking statins (medicine for lowering cholesterol) your sweat and body oils will stain leather. My wife is on statins and before we learned about this she ruined a light colored leather chair and has stained the tan leather seats in her Toyota 4-Runner. Even though my leather is black, I'm shopping for a seat cover for the passenger side of the Macan.
Old 02-07-2021, 12:01 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 889 Likes on 531 Posts

I have avoided wearing blue jeans as I read that denim not good for nice leather. Don't know if true.

Quick Reply: Leather Interior vs Standard Interior