Notices
Macan 2014-Current

info on macan, which one to get?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 10:42 AM
yuval
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Default info on macan, which one to get?

Hi and happy new year. ( we really need one)
first time on the macan forum ( I do own a 1995 993 ). looking for a 2017 for my wife. the base 2.0L or the S 3.0L
they are almost same cost. not looking for performance . which one will be easier to maintain. or no much difference.
thanks for any input.
Old 12-31-2020, 03:22 PM
LC200
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

No difference in maintenance.

If she can get the bigger engine, get the bigger engine.
Old 12-31-2020, 07:42 PM
Fiat88
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The overall maintenance cost will be a bit less with the 2.0l . It really boils down to what is needed, I opted for the base model with some extra bits (options) and saved over 10k on a MY20 in March of this year . I had owned a Audi Q5 with the similar 2.0L engine that clocked over 80k miles and it was flawless before trading in on base Macan

I would drive both , i also found the 2.0l to be more spirited for normal every day driving.

Last edited by Fiat88; 01-18-2021 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-01-2021, 07:53 AM
mvmojo
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts

If similarly equipped with nearly identical price tags now, unless the base is significantly over-priced you will make out better at resale time with the S. They seem to hold their value better due to demand for the additional performance they offer. Maintenance should be the same.
Old 01-01-2021, 10:25 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,189 Likes on 3,946 Posts

If the 2.0L engine is the same Turbo one as the one in the Q5, definitely don't get that one. Look on the web and you'll find all the iusues with that motor related to carbon build up and other failures. Discovered all that when looking for my daughter's first car, which elimited all the ones with that engine and had me looking at only the non-Turbo 6 cyl versions. Ended up getting her an X5 instead.

If 2 Porsches are the same price and one gas the more powerful engine, why would you but the lesser one and why eiuld you be looking at Porsches if "not concerned about performance".
The following users liked this post:
Liste-Renn (01-04-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 10:28 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,880 Likes on 1,359 Posts

The 4 cylinder is anemic, any of the 6 cylinders are much, much nicer to drive.
Liste-Renn (01-04-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 04:08 PM
Fang911
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 207 Posts

Have owned a ‘20 GTS x 4 months- super drive overall but wished it had more “thrust” ie X3M / X5M comp. Besides a relative lack of power compared to its price point competitors, the S/GTS are great cars and noticeably more potent than the base Macan.
Old 01-09-2021, 01:07 AM
RSbob
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
My wife drives an A6 with a 2.0T and it is far from anemic when I get on it and there is no Sport Mode. Why the difference? Weight?
Old 01-09-2021, 01:12 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,189 Likes on 3,946 Posts

As I mentioned previously, avoid the 4 cylinder 2.0 Turbo motor. It has major carbon build up issues, timing chain issues, and intake manifold issues - https://www.shopdap.com/blog/post/au...-problems.html
Old 01-09-2021, 02:34 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Originally Posted by RSbob
My wife drives an A6 with a 2.0T and it is far from anemic when I get on it and there is no Sport Mode. Why the difference? Weight?
Big performance difference in the V6 models, also get the Air Ride Suspension.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:22 PM
Alex K.
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Always get as much power as you can afford.
drcollie (01-10-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 10:56 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

Agree with all except perhaps the "anemic" part- having received MANY 4 cylinder Macans as loaners, I'd say there really isn't much difference in the experience until you start getting into the throttle. Most of the time just going from dealership to house back to dealership, I honestly couldn't tell the difference between an S and a base Macan... But once you start driving with a purpose- then, there is certainly a difference... which is why I've personally bought the Macan S. Twice, in fact, one in 2015 and my current one in 2019 (as a 2020 model). But I wouldn't necessarily say that if the price is right, to actively avoid the 4 cylinder, as it really isn't a terrible engine.

Originally Posted by Petza914
As I mentioned previously, avoid the 4 cylinder 2.0 Turbo motor. It has major carbon build up issues, timing chain issues, and intake manifold issues - https://www.shopdap.com/blog/post/au...-problems.html
This is almost certainly not relevant information. Just look at the model years for what's listed in your own link- the latest of those affected is 2016, and the issues vary widely based on various model years. The engine is the same basic structure as what's found widely across Audi's lineup, but there are enough tweaks that I'd be skeptical of common issues applicable to Audi versions to also carry over to the Macan. For example, the S3 (a car I also currently own), shares the same platform; it's also the same exact engine that's in the Golf R. But the differences between the 2.0l TFSI in my S3 and the A3 for example are pretty extreme:

3/MK7 R EA888 engine has the following changes and upgrades:

Cylinder head (made from a different alloy compared to other engines in this module because of higher thermal stress)

Exhaust valves (hollow, higher Ni content, nitrided)

Exhaust valve seat rings (improved temperature stability and wear resistance)

Exhaust camshaft (adapted valve timings)

Compression ratio 9.3:1 with different pistons

Piston cooling jets (higher flow rate)

High pressure injectors (even higher flow rate)

Exhaust turbocharger

Charge pressures of up to 17.4 PSI (1.2 bar)

High performance main radiator with 1-2 auxiliary radiators (depending on country specifications)

Additional acoustic modifications have been made in order to achieve a sporty sound - use of a sound actuator (for the occupant cell) and active exhaust flaps in the exhaust system

Additional Info

From page 9, S3 Sedan high-performance engine:

Significant upgrades compared to the already highly agile 2.0T engine and influenced from TFSI development in racing

Design changes for the new Audi S3 engine:

Pistons with new bolts and rings

Reinforced connecting rods

New mounts transfer the power to the crankshaft

Gray cast iron crankcase reinforced at the main bearing seats and the main bearing cover

New cylinder head made from lightweight aluminum-silicon alloy characterized by high strength and temperature resistance

New exhaust valves, valve seats and springs

New high-pressure injection valves

New turbocharger includes a self-adapting plastic seal between the compression wheel and housing, which improves efficiency

On top of that, the S3 runs a lower 9.3:1 (compared to 9.6:1 in the A3) compression ratio that's slightly better suited to higher boost applications.

On page 10, it specifically mentions the construction of each model's cylinder head is "Aluminum" and the S3 is "Aluminum-Silicon" - the E888 HAS had an aluminum cylinder head since the MK6.
The aluminum-silicon alloy version created for the MK7 R/S3 is unique and designed to tolerate higher thermal stress.

Turbo specs

S3/MK7 R 2.0T EA888 Gen 3

IHI IS38

6/6 Blade Billet Compressor Wheel & 8 Blade Turbine Wheel

45.2 mm Inducer / 58.0 mm Exducer - Compressor

47.4 mm Inducer / 54.7 mm Exducer - Turbine

A3/MK7 GTI 2.0T EA888 Gen 3

IHI IS20

6/6 Blade Billet Compressor Wheel & 8 Blade Turbine Wheel

42.5 mm Inducer / 54.0 mm Exducer - Compressor

46.8 mm Inducer / 50.4 mm Exducer - Turbine

Obviously not all of these will be applicable to the Macan, but this is the best I could find with a quick google search. I think you get my point; I'd make sure that any common issues are specific to the Macan itself before making the assumption that the common issues to other platforms are also applicable. So far I haven't seen anything to confirm this.

Of course this all seems a bit silly though; a Macan is pretty much that car you get when you need the practicality/ride height advantage of an SUV, but prefer a sports car. If performance isn't a concern but maintenance is, I don't really see the value in a Macan.

Big performance difference in the V6 models, also get the Air Ride Suspension.
Definitely a performance difference, but as I mentioned earlier, 6.3 0-60 in an SUV isn't necessarily slow. As far as the air ride is concerned, if it were a 2020+ I'd actually recommend against the air suspension. The steel suspension was re-worked for the mid-cycle refresh, the ride is superb enough as is, plus for spirited driving, non-air ride PASM is better.

Last edited by manifold danger; 01-09-2021 at 10:58 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by manifold danger:
acastell (01-10-2021), ducktails (01-10-2021), krivosikrene (02-18-2024), Noah Fect (01-09-2021), Paul125 (01-12-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 01:42 PM
drcollie
Race Car

As far as the air ride is concerned, if it were a 2020+ I'd actually recommend against the air suspension. The steel suspension was re-worked for the mid-cycle refresh, the ride is superb enough as is, plus for spirited driving, non-air ride PASM is better.
I have to disagree with that statement. Went we went shopping for my wife's SQ5 replacement, we drove three Macan's back to back. All 2020's. This was her ride, I'd have automatically bought the Turbo if it was for me!

First Test was a 2020 Turbo with Air Ride. fantastic and very, very quick. Loved the standard Surface Coated Brakes. $ 90K. Winner

Next Drive was a fully loaded Macan S with Air Ride. Very nice, very smooth and stable. Quick enough $ 72K (we bought this one)

Last drive was a stripper Macan S with almost no options, it crashed over the bumps and expansion joints, the interior felt cheap. $ 54K as I recall.

We went back and forth between the S with Air and Turbo models, they wer offering 7% off on the Turbo, 12% off on the S, so that was the deal.

My 992 S has PASM / PDCC / RWS and doesn't ride as good as the Macan S with air , But that's a different vehicle.
Liste-Renn (01-12-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 11:19 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

I have to disagree with that statement. Went we went shopping for my wife's SQ5 replacement, we drove three Macan's back to back. All 2020's. This was her ride, I'd have automatically bought the Turbo if it was for me!

First Test was a 2020 Turbo with Air Ride. fantastic and very, very quick. Loved the standard Surface Coated Brakes. $ 90K. Winner

Next Drive was a fully loaded Macan S with Air Ride. Very nice, very smooth and stable. Quick enough $ 72K (we bought this one)

Last drive was a stripper Macan S with almost no options, it crashed over the bumps and expansion joints, the interior felt cheap. $ 54K as I recall.

We went back and forth between the S with Air and Turbo models, they wer offering 7% off on the Turbo, 12% off on the S, so that was the deal.

My 992 S has PASM / PDCC / RWS and doesn't ride as good as the Macan S with air , But that's a different vehicle.
This is why these forums exist, to compare opinions! I can see where the air ride is definitely an area where you'll get some conflicting takes, especially based on expectations for what someone wants out of a car like this. But to say it's crashy is not a fair assessment at all IMHO but different strokes for different folks I guess. For me personally, I didn't want the ride floaty at all, and read some reviews that implied the air ride was so it was left off the build sheet but I will concede it was a last minute decision (was only another $1000 and when the wife picks $800 headrest crests the money was definitely not an issue lol). I ordered it last July so dealer inventory was scarce and I didn't have one with air ride to compare it to. Mine does have PASM, just no air ride. The ride is phenomenal for what this car is. We've had several brands of SUVs, both luxury and economy models over the years from Ford and Hyundai to BMW, Range Rover, and a pre-facelift Macan S (2015). The ride in the '20 with PASM and 20" all season Pirellis is about as perfect as you can get (the "old" Macan was still great just not this good), even compared to luxury sedans. Again, this is my opinion; for context I'm in my early 40s and have always preferred a sporty ride over floaty, but know when to call a spade a spade when ride quality just isn't good enough. I don't think I would have regretted getting the air ride, but the steel PASM was just the goldilocks option for me personally.

My 991.2 C2S has SPASM (10mm lower than normal PASM for anyone unfamiliar with 911 parlance) and RWS (rear wheel steering), and yeah the ride is surprisingly good for a sports car with even sportier suspension, but very compromised compared to the Macan. To the point where I don't like bringing coffee in my 911 (but I still do it, it is a car after all).

Here's my build sheet for reference:

https://vinanalytics.com/car/WP1AB2A57LLB34106/
Old 01-11-2021, 03:55 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 310 Likes on 185 Posts

I went from an S with PASM to a Turbo with Air, and find nothing "floaty" about Air suspension.

The lower CG at the lowest height setting definitely ups cornering performance, just as SPASM does in any 991.
The following 2 users liked this post by chuckbdc:
krivosikrene (02-18-2024), Liste-Renn (01-12-2021)

Quick Reply: info on macan, which one to get?