Notices
Macan 2014-Current

‘21 GTS ceramic brake pad availability?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2021, 11:52 AM
Pete C
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 66 Posts
Default ‘21 GTS ceramic brake pad availability?

I picked up a ‘21 Macan GTS a couple of months ago and have been thrilled with it as a daily driver!
My only complaint is the god forsaken brake dust which is off the charts horrible!
On my ‘14 Cayenne GTS I had used a relatively inexpensive ceramic pad which cut the dust
down by 85% but still retained great pedal feel and lasted forever. The interesting point for the Cayenne is that pads where not listed for a GTS but they
did list for the Turbo.

I’ve done a little searching here but have not seen anything. Does anyone have a recommendation?

thx!

The following users liked this post:
DocJ (08-30-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 07:41 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 682 Likes on 419 Posts

Powerstop Evolution Z23 worked for my 2018 GTS. I don't know if Porsche revised the brake sizes for 2021.
Old 08-25-2021, 09:55 PM
Pete C
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rasetsu
Powerstop Evolution Z23 worked for my 2018 GTS. I don't know if Porsche revised the brake sizes for 2021.
Thx I’ll look into it.
wls1425 (08-27-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 08:34 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,184 Likes on 3,943 Posts

If there are Hawk Cermics in the yellow box available for your fitment, that's my go to ferrous rotor pad.
Old 08-27-2021, 01:48 PM
sterno
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

My wife also has a Macan 2020 GTS and the brake dust unbelievable bad, I tried to look into the Power Stop Evolution z23 and Hawk Ceramics ( non yellow box) and could not find anywhere. Anyone know of what pads will work to reduce brake dust?? I would think someone is making them.
Old 08-27-2021, 02:08 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sterno
My wife also has a Macan 2020 GTS and the brake dust unbelievable bad, I tried to look into the Power Stop Evolution z23 and Hawk Ceramics ( non yellow box) and could not find anywhere. Anyone know of what pads will work to reduce brake dust?? I would think someone is making them.
I bought the PowerStops Z23s for my 2018 GTS on CarID
Old 08-28-2021, 12:02 AM
JonCanadian
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by rasetsu
I bought the PowerStops Z23s for my 2018 GTS on CarID
Happy with them? Are you using OEM rotors or did you change those too?
Old 08-28-2021, 01:23 AM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JonCanadian
Happy with them? Are you using OEM rotors or did you change those too?
Very happy with them. I wouldn't have recommended them if I wasn't. Yes, still on original rotors.
JonCanadian (08-28-2021)
Old 08-28-2021, 03:08 AM
jkirkerx
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a 2018 GTS with stock rotors and pads, with a ton of dust.

keep in mind that brake dust is a combination of rotor iron and pad debris ground up into a fine dust. So it’s all sorts of different material mixed together.

I’m new here so I’ll be humble. I think the secret to the Porsche ceramic option is the coating on the rotor surface with a ceramic pad. The coating is so strong, that it prevents the rotor iron from making contact with the ceramic pad, perhaps infused with copper, so that the pad doesn’t wear down the rotor iron, thus reducing brake dust. perhaps eliminating dust altogether. Think of the coating as like a non stick kitchen pan you cook eggs on.

You can try all sort of brake pads to find the magic one, and it may take years of experimenting to find the right one.

I’m 6 years into experimenting with this issue. I just had a set of custom rotors cut for me, that feature G4000 iron which is G3000 iron with carbon and moly in the mix. This makes the rotor stronger and smoother to.brake pad friction. Plus I had Porsche Panamera mini slots machined in both sides of the rotor faces for front and back rotors. I’ll match them up to some low copper content ceramic pads. The pads will polish the rotor faces for a mirror smooth finish, yet create enough heat fast enough for powerful braking. rotor wear will cut by 5x.

So labor day weekend is the installation date. I had to buy a scan tool and a whole bunch of other stuff along with my first oil change.

in summary, it’s really a combination of the iron and pad that will reduce dust and provide exceptional performance. This is a unique market segment, in which it’s still being researched. That’s why you don’t find many canned solutions.

The slots will keep the ceramic pads in good shape. I know that brake squeal will be eliminated. It will produce sort of an orange colored dust, but must less of it. It will produce a mirror finish on the rotor faces, and reduce rotor wear by 5x. Replacement intervals will be extended by 3x with normal driving. the last 20 feet in braking will be silky smooth.

Give me time to get these installed and run the test over the next month. And I’ll report feedback. If they are terrible, I’ll start again with a new formula.

Im interested in any comments or feedback. Or if you have any questions.

These are not on the market yet or available for sale. They are prototypes that I co developed with a large brake rotor company that makes rotors. They are coated to stop rust.

The following 3 users liked this post by jkirkerx:
MGT3 (08-29-2021), roadrat (08-30-2021), Schwarz992C4S (08-28-2021)
Old 08-28-2021, 09:59 AM
JonCanadian
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jkirkerx
I think the secret to the Porsche ceramic option is the coating on the rotor surface with a ceramic pad. The coating is so strong, that it prevents the rotor iron from making contact with the ceramic pad, perhaps infused with copper, so that the pad doesn’t wear down the rotor iron, thus reducing brake dust. perhaps eliminating dust altogether. Think of the coating as like a non stick kitchen pan you cook eggs on.

You can try all sort of brake pads to find the magic one, and it may take years of experimenting to find the right one.
What I never understood about coating is that won't it just wear off quickly? The coating thickness (unless it's somehow permeated into the pad or rotor material) has got to be much thinner than the meat of the pads and rotors?? That said, for my previous vehicles I've been very happy with Zimmerman Coat Z rotors and Akebono ceramic pads. None of those seem to be available for the Macan GTS.
Old 08-29-2021, 12:47 AM
georgej
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 41 Posts

I recently took delivery of a GTS that I ordered with the PSCB which I tother required bits iffhink Porsche says cuts dust by 90%. I have a short window of experience (800+ miles) but nil in terms of dust so far. Given these comments about dust and how pricey it was anyway the extra was worth it. I wonder if when replacement is needed for a standard rotor + related bits might be a reasonable proposition.
Old 08-29-2021, 05:16 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by georgej
I recently took delivery of a GTS that I ordered with the PSCB which I tother required bits iffhink Porsche says cuts dust by 90%. I have a short window of experience (800+ miles) but nil in terms of dust so far. Given these comments about dust and how pricey it was anyway the extra was worth it. I wonder if when replacement is needed for a standard rotor + related bits might be a reasonable proposition.
Wish I'd ordered them as well.
Old 11-06-2021, 11:41 AM
Pete C
Rennlist Member

Thread update

I found ceramic pads and they have been installed
for a few weeks now and the dust reduction is HUGE!
Brake feel is a little “different” but after a few days feels completely normal and solid.

Happy with the results but more importantly the wheels do not look horrendous after driving it a couple of days.

I’ll report back with brand, part numbers and what to expect.
MGT3 (11-07-2021)
Old 11-13-2021, 03:01 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Received 572 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete C
Thread update

I found ceramic pads and they have been installed
for a few weeks now and the dust reduction is HUGE!
Brake feel is a little “different” but after a few days feels completely normal and solid.

Happy with the results but more importantly the wheels do not look horrendous after driving it a couple of days.

I’ll report back with brand, part numbers and what to expect.
Thanks, Pete!

God bless you,
Tom
Old 11-13-2021, 07:03 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 882 Likes on 528 Posts

Glad the sales guy talked me out of PCCB for the Macan. I like them so much on the 911TT I was willing to spend the extra.

He said I would be happy with the PSCB, standard on the '21 Turbo. After 9K miles, I am delighted with their performance, and zero brake dust that I can observe.

Quick Reply: ‘21 GTS ceramic brake pad availability?