Notices
Macan 2014-Current

From BMW X3 to Macan

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2022, 08:24 PM
alfa63
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't see what year X3 you are coming from, but speaking from experience, my wife and I went from a 2011 X3 2.8i to a 2017 Macan S. In my opinion, the Macan S is:
  1. better looking;
  2. handles far better;
  3. definitely quicker;
  4. has a better stereo (Bose vs whatever was standard on the X3);
  5. seats are more comfortable - driving position is just more comfortable too;
  6. expanding on #2, the run flats on the X3 were annoying;
  7. my wife likes how the Macan shifts gears (she also liked how the X3 shifted, but likes the Macan better);
The only negative thing thus far (in two weeks of ownership) is the view out the rear via the interior rear view mirror.
I had the same concerns about the transfer case and timing chain cover leaking. The transfer case warranty was upped to seven years from the in-service date.
I had a PPI done on the Macan and bought an extended warranty (we purchased the Macan from a non-Porsche dealer).

I can't comment on the GTS or Turbo versions as we didn't test drive either and generally, they were beyond the budget.
Old 02-07-2022, 08:34 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is all helping, thanks for the comments and feedback. I think I'll focus on the GTS and take the Turbo off the table even though the Turbos seem to be on a par price-wise. Now just need to be patient for a Carmine Red with the options I want.
Old 02-09-2022, 12:54 PM
carrera4esq
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

My experience from going from an 2020 X3M40i to an 2019 Macan S is detailed in the thread below.
Other than the drive-train, exhaust note and Android Auto in the X3, the Macan is better in every way and well worth the compromises in those areas.

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...a-macan-2.html
Old 02-09-2022, 05:20 PM
Jack-Porsche
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I think you will find most everything about the Macan to be Premium when compared to x3. The seat comfort and leather, the interior quality and intuitiveness, and the overall ride and fun factor.
I personally think the S is the best from a value proposition standpoint, but what is important to you may differ.
you mentioned your your daughter has a Cayenne. I find them to be vastly different with the Cayenne being a heavier truck experience whereas that Macan is more of a sporty car that just happens to be AWD and look like an SUV.
My Cayman is for fun drives, as a proper sports car should be, and my 4Runner is great when I need a real 4 wheel drive, but the Macan is a great daily driver for someone who may encounter bad weather or has kids, luggage, bikes, etc.
It strikes the right balance between fun and practical.

Last edited by Jack-Porsche; 02-09-2022 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-09-2022, 05:20 PM
georgej
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 41 Posts

Since 1975 I have mostly driven BMW's as my daily driver. Last year I was parting with my fifteenth BMW a M240i. I found it harsh and the seats uncomfortable, always a back ache after a long drive. Over the years I have had X3's as loaner cars most of the time and I generally liked them. I did a build and considered ordering a X3M though after reading a bit more and looking into Macan's I ordered a '21 GTS with "all" of performance and many aesthetic and comfort options. It is so much better as a daily driver than anything I've had previously. Very much a dual personality car; in normal mode it is smooth, shifts are subdued (with light throttle), and I feel pampered. Rough roads, railroad crossings, etc are hardly noticed. It makes road trips a joy and I actually have found myself finding excuses to get in it and go. Turn the sport chrono **** to S or S+ and the shifts are much more aggressive and the suspension firms up nicely (firmer, never harsh). Very engaging on back roads and I have been pleasantly shocked by how capable it is. It is not without flaws though none relate to vehicle dynamics. Limited but adequate back seat and storage, so so back up camera (plus 360 views), glitchy electronic interface and slow boot time mostly.

just my two cents.
Old 02-09-2022, 06:15 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Originally Posted by carrera4esq
My experience from going from an 2020 X3M40i to an 2019 Macan S is detailed in the thread below.
Other than the drive-train, exhaust note and Android Auto in the X3, the Macan is better in every way and well worth the compromises in those areas.

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...a-macan-2.html
Read your thread, interesting story and read. I bought the current 2019 X3, after driving a 428 4-door coupe for a few months, but found it was loud inside and not nearly as roomy as I thought the hatchback feature first looked. Picked up the X3 about a year ago and it's an okay car, but very little character, basically an appliance. My Cayman has not been getting much use since buying it 2 years ago so I've decided to sell both the X3 and Cayman and find a nice GTS Macan. And fyi, there's a guy on the Macan.com forum who is installing Android Auto for people in their Macans.
Old 02-09-2022, 06:47 PM
georgej
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1pcarnut
Read your thread, interesting story and read. I bought the current 2019 X3, after driving a 428 4-door coupe for a few months, but found it was loud inside and not nearly as roomy as I thought the hatchback feature first looked. Picked up the X3 about a year ago and it's an okay car, but very little character, basically an appliance. My Cayman has not been getting much use since buying it 2 years ago so I've decided to sell both the X3 and Cayman and find a nice GTS Macan. And fyi, there's a guy on the Macan.com forum who is installing Android Auto for people in their Macans.
I have driven other Macan's besides mine and found them to not be noisy. That said I ordered mine with the thermal and acoustically insulated glass and it is truly serene. I ordered primarily because it gets very hot here in the summer and it is very effective thermally as well.
The following users liked this post:
Pavegeno928 (02-14-2022)
Old 02-09-2022, 07:21 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

^^ The X3 has been very quiet, so no complaint in that regard at all, one of the quietest cars I've owned from a road noise perspective. Out of curiosity, do you recall the code for the glass?
Old 02-09-2022, 07:46 PM
georgej
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1pcarnut
^^ The X3 has been very quiet, so no complaint in that regard at all, one of the quietest cars I've owned from a road noise perspective. Out of curiosity, do you recall the code for the glass?
I looked at the order and it was VW6 and was $990. Thermal aspect was what prompted me to spring for it and that has been awesome. I have left it in the sun when it temp is in the teens and come back after a couple of hours and the interior is merely warm. I also have rear shades ( 3Y4 / $300).
Old 02-09-2022, 07:53 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Originally Posted by georgej
I looked at the order and it was VW6 and was $990. Thermal aspect was what prompted me to spring for it and that has been awesome. I have left it in the sun when it temp is in the teens and come back after a couple of hours and the interior is merely warm. I also have rear shades ( 3Y4 / $300).
Excellent, thanks!
Old 02-11-2022, 01:12 PM
911-140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 88 Posts

I just bought a 2018 GTS CPO from my local Porsche dealer back in November. So far its been very impressive and the handling is absolutely superb. Since we never got the Audi RS4 Avant here, I thought the GTS would be the next best thing.

Glad to hear you're ruling out the S and the Turbo as I feel the GTS looks and handling dynamics make it the ideal choice within the range.

The only pause I have after logging 1200 miles so far is that it might be a tad small for my needs. We're somewhat spoiled by also owning a Cayenne S which seems more useful , so there's a remote chance I might swap it out for a Cayenne GTS since I gave my wife the Cayenne when I bought the Macan.

Whatever you do, get the best spec you can, and you definitely want it with Sport Chrono, upgraded Bose, Adaptive Cruise/Lane Assist and for comfort in ride, the RS Spyder wheels in 20s as some GTS' came with the 21's.

I notice also, some GTS' came with what looks like a Sport Chrono clock, but is just a plain old clock and won't have the Sport+ setting. You want Sport Plus as it gives you the all-out overboots feature and truly makes the GTS what it is.

Last edited by 911-140.6; 02-11-2022 at 01:13 PM. Reason: spell
Old 02-11-2022, 02:31 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Originally Posted by 911-140.6
I just bought a 2018 GTS CPO from my local Porsche dealer back in November. So far its been very impressive and the handling is absolutely superb. Since we never got the Audi RS4 Avant here, I thought the GTS would be the next best thing.

Glad to hear you're ruling out the S and the Turbo as I feel the GTS looks and handling dynamics make it the ideal choice within the range.

The only pause I have after logging 1200 miles so far is that it might be a tad small for my needs. We're somewhat spoiled by also owning a Cayenne S which seems more useful , so there's a remote chance I might swap it out for a Cayenne GTS since I gave my wife the Cayenne when I bought the Macan.

Whatever you do, get the best spec you can, and you definitely want it with Sport Chrono, upgraded Bose, Adaptive Cruise/Lane Assist and for comfort in ride, the RS Spyder wheels in 20s as some GTS' came with the 21's.

I notice also, some GTS' came with what looks like a Sport Chrono clock, but is just a plain old clock and won't have the Sport+ setting. You want Sport Plus as it gives you the all-out overboots feature and truly makes the GTS what it is.
Thanks Mike, agree, for both function and fun, the GTS hits the sweet spot. Having trouble finding the combination of options I'd like, now that I've narrowed it down. Must be patient, must be patient...
Old 02-14-2022, 12:05 PM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 292 Likes on 172 Posts

For what its worth you can get into a new Audi SQ5 pretty well loaded for mid 60's with air suspension etc. Won't be nearly as quick as a GTS or a Turbo, but its an awesome middle weight contender. Wife has one at the moment and she loves it.
Old 02-14-2022, 04:50 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Originally Posted by NiteJav
For what its worth you can get into a new Audi SQ5 pretty well loaded for mid 60's with air suspension etc. Won't be nearly as quick as a GTS or a Turbo, but its an awesome middle weight contender. Wife has one at the moment and she loves it.
Good thought, I generally like Audis, next to Porsche my first choice. My favorite was a 2011 A6 S-line, replaced it with a 2016 A6 and didn't gel with it. I'm selling my X3 and the Cayman so I can consolidate two into one, I want to at least end up with a Pcar in the house.
Old 02-14-2022, 09:29 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 431 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by georgej
I have driven other Macan's besides mine and found them to not be noisy. That said I ordered mine with the thermal and acoustically insulated glass and it is truly serene. I ordered primarily because it gets very hot here in the summer and it is very effective thermally as well.
Thermal/noise reducing glass +1

Spec'd ours brand new with this for the Alabama sun and to get ri of highway noise. Our 19 S is very quiet and the cabin is never hot even after sitting in the Alabama sun all day. Great option but it might interfere with toll transponders or radar detectors. I'm not sure if this is what interferes or the heated windshield option we installed.

Quick Reply: From BMW X3 to Macan