Notices
Macan 2014-Current

The Macan S - didn't like the drive. Does air suspension and PASM make it better?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2022, 11:53 AM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by blepski
In my opinion no, those options are not going to change the fact that these are 2+ ton vehicles with a high center of gravity. Our 21 Macan S is the first SUV we have owned after 20 years of driving BMW sports sedans and Porsche sports cars and while we enjoy it for what it is ( an SUV and NOT a sports car ) nothing is going to change the feeling you describe in any meaningful way. Especially after driving the Taycan which has a ridiculously low center of gravity and incredible composure on the road due to its 2.5+ tons being mere inches above the road.

After a year of driving our Macan I have realized that it's not so much excessive body roll as it is the heighted sensation of roll due to the high seating position and center of gravity. I have driven every Macan configuration there is and they all do it regardless of wheels, tires, air suspension , PASM, PTV, mode settings, etc. etc. There is simply no way to repel the laws of physics regardless of what the marketing promises.
While I understand the heightened sensation of body roll, I feel that the Macan has very little body roll vs any other SUV or anything that is not a sports car or a sporty low riding car. My 2015 S has air suspension (lowered 25mm via piwis), PTV, and 19in wheels. I drive mostly in low mode, sport suspension, and sport mode... a perfect daily driver imo.

I have a tune which greatly improves the experience, I'm curious to try pedal commander or something similar to see if it can get better control of the throttle.
Old 04-07-2022, 03:19 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by blepski
There is simply no way to repe[a]l the laws of physics regardless of what the marketing promises.
This is it in a nutshell. I have owned a number of BMW SUVs before our current 2021 Macan Turbo, including two X5Ms. The Macan has, by far, the best handling feel, as well as beautiful ride quality. But it isn't a sports sedan, let along a sports car, nor could it be because of the weight, high center of gravity, etc. As they say, you can't fool mother nature, at least not totally. I do think all the "gimmicks" you mention help, though, but they won't make the Macan an M3.

PS: I haven't tried a Macan T. Maybe having so much less weight on the nose, combined with all the "gimmicks," would help, at least some?

PPS: But, at least for me, what matters--in addition to utility--is a vehicle being fun to drive, which our Macan is, for sure. It's fun to drive a fast SUV that handles almost like a sports sedan!

God bless you,
TT

Last edited by TomTarzian; 04-07-2022 at 03:47 PM.

Quick Reply: The Macan S - didn't like the drive. Does air suspension and PASM make it better?