Notices
Macan 2014-Current

The Macan S - didn't like the drive. Does air suspension and PASM make it better?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2022, 02:40 PM
j.w.s
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts
Default The Macan S - didn't like the drive. Does air suspension and PASM make it better?

I drove a Taycan, fell in love, and placed an order for a GTS - not yet delivered. This will replace a Jaguar XKR 175 that I absolutely love but I'm sure I'll get over it once the Taycan arrives.

Then my wife decided that the liked Porsche and wanted a Macan, preferably without waiting two years for the EV. So we drove a 2019 Macan S and... found it to be really underpowered and the suspension slushy and not at all Porsche-like. Loved everything else about the car. No sport chrono, no air suspension or PASM on the one we drove.

The 2022 Macan S has a bit more oomph, and the GTS even more than that, if you can get one. So maybe the horsepower problem has a fix. So the question becomes: Does adding the air suspension and PASM, and maybe sport chrono, and maybe torque vectoring, meaningfully transform the handling for the better, or am I asking too much from the current Macan? My biggest complaint is the body roll.

Last edited by j.w.s; 03-28-2022 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-28-2022, 03:52 PM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 273 Posts

I don't have much experience with earlier Macans, but I can't imagine anyone driving the new GTS (or S for that matter) and being disappointed in the power or the suspension. Now, I have a 22 GTS with all of the options you mentioned, but it feels 100% Porsche.

Mr. Wolfe
Old 03-28-2022, 04:05 PM
georgej
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 41 Posts

I drove a friends 2020 S and was unimpressed. After reading up a bit I ordered a 2021 GTS as it seemed the sportiest and most Porsche DNA choice. It's handling and performance is outstanding and nothing like the earlier S I drove. That said I selected every performance option available and heavy on amenities as well ($100k +/- build). I use the sport chrono **** all the time. I have individual programmed to use the "sport" mode without firming up the suspension and that is usually where I drive it. If looking for quieter and more subdued (like in a funeral procession) I leave it in normal and when the road beckons it goes into sport or sport +. Nice to have multiple personalities.

The following users liked this post:
Greg Wolfe (03-28-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 04:40 PM
eonflux
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 19 Posts

We have a 2018 Macan GTS, with 21" wheels with standard GTS air suspension and PASM.

Twice I've had a 2021 Macan S loaner with standard suspension and 19" wheels.
Had the opportunity to drive the S for a few days each time.

The suspension in our GTS is both more comfortable and wallows/rolls less.
And the handling is sharper.
This is comparing on the roads, freeways, and some twisties in the SF bay area that I know well.

In the S, even on relatively smooth freeway, could feel extra up and down movements that are nicely dampened/eliminated by the GTS suspension (usually drive with suspension in Sport mode).

I was surprised to feel a little extra bit of harshness with the S suspension when hitting small imperfections, even with the 19" higher profile tires vs the 21" wheels on our GTS with suspension in Sport mode.
The GTS suspension was notably more comfortable over these imperfections.

Overall, I find the GTS suspension much better for performance and handling, and comfort, than the S with standard suspension.
Before getting the GTS, was only looking at GTS and Turbo models, so did not test drive any base or S Macans, and so didn't have much prior experience with standard Macan suspension, or smaller wheels, before I had driven that 2021 S loaner.

Name:  sxfrWUN.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  187.5 KB

Last edited by eonflux; 03-28-2022 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-29-2022, 10:55 AM
Olddragger
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 53 Posts

I have had both. My Macan S had no pasm, no air suspension and 19 inch wheels. It was very sensitive to tire air pressure. Reducing tire pressure just 2-3 psi caused a noticeable difference in the ride. I currently own the Turbo model with air/ pasm with 21 inch wheels and .........yes there is a noticeable difference. Plus with the air suspension one has the ability to hit the lowering button and with just that small change has noticeable differences. The GTS model is even lower and corresponding handling performance is increased even more. Nice to have options
Old 03-29-2022, 06:09 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,560 Likes on 862 Posts

Get a throttle controller installed and it will fix all your problems. There is substantial "pedal lag" built into Macan due to Porsche trying to give a better feel for higher model Cayenne. This is simply a software "patch" where your throttle pedal inputs dont translate into throttle body action that controls engine power. You install a little module that simply "removes" this lag and makes the throttle pedal feel more natural. Throttle body opens as much as your pedal input mandates, as it should be. Its complete bull**** that Porsche does this. Drive a Cayenne with the same V6 engine and it has a substantially sharper response. I installed one in my Macan S and it completely transformed the car. This also addresses transmission "lag" because now your throttle inputs command more power quicker from ECU which has to adapt by lowering gears. Its the best $200 you will spend. Your welcome.
The following 2 users liked this post by 3-Pedals:
boxhead (06-10-2023), SkyHook (03-31-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 07:06 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 686 Likes on 423 Posts

For someone who knows what good handlings, you really shouldn't look anywhere but a GTS. Or wait for the T to see how that feels. I've been in a Sport Edition which was a T before it was called a T and it handled pretty well as it has the PASM, air suspension, and 20" wheels/tires from the GTS.

Last edited by rasetsu; 03-29-2022 at 07:09 PM.
Nickshu (03-29-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 06:19 PM
jkirkerx
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by j.w.s
I drove a Taycan, fell in love, and placed an order for a GTS - not yet delivered. This will replace a Jaguar XKR 175 that I absolutely love but I'm sure I'll get over it once the Taycan arrives.

Then my wife decided that the liked Porsche and wanted a Macan, preferably without waiting two years for the EV. So we drove a 2019 Macan S and... found it to be really underpowered and the suspension slushy and not at all Porsche-like. Loved everything else about the car. No sport chrono, no air suspension or PASM on the one we drove.

The 2022 Macan S has a bit more oomph, and the GTS even more than that, if you can get one. So maybe the horsepower problem has a fix. So the question becomes: Does adding the air suspension and PASM, and maybe sport chrono, and maybe torque vectoring, meaningfully transform the handling for the better, or am I asking too much from the current Macan? My biggest complaint is the body roll.
I test drove a 2018 Macan S and didn't like it. I really think it was designed to be an executive model compact SUV, that offers a smooth ride, good mileage for those that drive long distances. Of course you can't make the S like the GTS and they need to be separated apart so there is no overlap. The GTS is really what your looking for up to 2019.

Then I think in 2020 they changed the engines from the 3.0L turbo to the 2.9L turbo. I test drove the 2020 GTS but not the S. In both the 3.0L and 2.9L, the engines are the same but with a different tune to match the suspension capabilities.

In 2022, they boosted the power of the S and GTS, and now you can build a S like a GTS at almost the same price. The Turbo trim was dropped and the GTS took it''s place. Now the S is pretty much what your looking for but may be too much for your wife. And the GTS is even more insane than before but it cost way more now.

I bought a used CPO 2018 CPO GTS and I'm pretty happy with it. It's pretty darn fast and fun to drive.

Old 03-31-2022, 11:59 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by georgej
I drove a friends 2020 S and was unimpressed. After reading up a bit I ordered a 2021 GTS as it seemed the sportiest and most Porsche DNA choice. It's handling and performance is outstanding and nothing like the earlier S I drove. That said I selected every performance option available and heavy on amenities as well ($100k +/- build). I use the sport chrono **** all the time. I have individual programmed to use the "sport" mode without firming up the suspension and that is usually where I drive it. If looking for quieter and more subdued (like in a funeral procession) I leave it in normal and when the road beckons it goes into sport or sport +. Nice to have multiple personalities.
We have a 2021 Macan Turbo. Also ordered all the performance goodies that weren't standard. In both the Sport and Sport+ chassis modes the suspension feels very Porsche. In fact, it's hard to believe something so relatively tall and heavy handles so well and rides so well, too. Porsche suspension tuning magic!

God bless you,
TT
Terry Adams (04-03-2022)
Old 04-05-2022, 01:34 AM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Our 2017 low optioned GTS (Jun'16 delivery) was a first go at an SUV type of thing, and really it is great. It's heavy, main issue. On spirited drives, turn-in is kind of scary at times but I've gone ***** out on a replacement '22, PTV+ is the one thing I really want to see how well it works on these. For DD, the air suspension is a relative magic carpet ride.
Old 04-05-2022, 09:14 AM
griffinto
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Throttle control...Does this really work? thought this was just a gimmick.
I have 2016 Macan S and notice the lag. My 2022 Macan GTS is at the Houston Port.
Old 04-05-2022, 10:48 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 533 Posts

re PTV, I had OEM LSD (mechanical) on a 993 and barely noticed when it slowly stopped working because the plates wore out around 70K. Then I installed a Guard unit and noticed the difference when it worked again.

You would need an instructor on a track to drive two examples, with and without PTV, to notice the difference. It's that subtle, you wouldn't know it was hard at work saving your posterior from going off when you're pushing it.
_RS_ (04-05-2022)
Old 04-05-2022, 11:03 AM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by _RS_
Our 2017 low optioned GTS (Jun'16 delivery) was a first go at an SUV type of thing, and really it is great. It's heavy, main issue. On spirited drives, turn-in is kind of scary at times but I've gone ***** out on a replacement '22, PTV+ is the one thing I really want to see how well it works on these. For DD, the air suspension is a relative magic carpet ride.
This is an argument for the Macan T, which has a lot less weight on the nose.

God bless you,
TT
Old 04-05-2022, 05:39 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 259 Likes on 172 Posts

OP,
I test drove a ‘21 Macan S and I didn’t like it as it lacked HP & torque. I wasn’t also very impressed with its handling but the Macan does handle better than most, if not all, SUVs out there even with just the springs. I ended up ordering a ‘22 GTS and am happy with my choice.
Originally Posted by griffinto
Throttle control...Does this really work? thought this was just a gimmick.
I have 2016 Macan S and notice the lag. My 2022 Macan GTS is at the Houston Port.
JMHO but I really love this gadget! I have a Pedal Box on my R8 and it transformed the driving experience. I’ve had aggressive tunes on several cars in my lifetime and this gadget gives me similar butt dyno effects, if you know what I mean. I will be installing one on my Macan GTS as well. This device doesn’t make the car go faster but feels faster as it removes the throttle lag. YouTube it!

Last edited by luv2sleep; 04-05-2022 at 05:45 PM.
Old 04-07-2022, 10:13 AM
blepski
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by j.w.s

In my opinion no, those options are not going to change the fact that these are 2+ ton vehicles with a high center of gravity. Our 21 Macan S is the first SUV we have owned after 20 years of driving BMW sports sedans and Porsche sports cars and while we enjoy it for what it is ( an SUV and NOT a sports car ) nothing is going to change the feeling you describe in any meaningful way. Especially after driving the Taycan which has a ridiculously low center of gravity and incredible composure on the road due to its 2.5+ tons being mere inches above the road.

After a year of driving our Macan I have realized that it's not so much excessive body roll as it is the heighted sensation of roll due to the high seating position and center of gravity. I have driven every Macan configuration there is and they all do it regardless of wheels, tires, air suspension , PASM, PTV, mode settings, etc. etc. There is simply no way to repeal the laws of physics regardless of what the marketing promises.

Last edited by blepski; 04-07-2022 at 03:47 PM.

Quick Reply: The Macan S - didn't like the drive. Does air suspension and PASM make it better?