Macan 2014-Current

Feedback requested on Macan S just ordered

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2022, 04:25 PM
Mstephensfache
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feedback requested on Macan S just ordered

I'm a returning member after a too-long absence. Owned and sold a Boxter S which I greatly enjoyed. I’m returning to the Porsche family, and am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new Macan S. The Dealer has assigned me a June allocation. I would greatly appreciate Member thoughts on the configuration I have ordered. Anything important that I may have missed? Anything I have selected that you would suggest I delete? Here Goes:
Night Blue Metallic with Standard Interior in Agate Grey, I selected the 14 Way seats
Premium Package Plus
Roof Rails in Aluminum, Trailer Hitch, Sport Tailpipes in Silver
Adaptive Air Suspension incl PASM
Sport Chrono Package
20" wheels Dark Titanium, Colored center caps
Surround View
Self Steering Park Assist
ACC
Heated Steering Wheel
Interior trim in Brushed Aluminum
Smartphone Wireless Charging
Old 04-04-2022, 05:51 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 937 Likes on 626 Posts

When I posted a similar question several people who had owned one or more Macans strongly recommended the Thermally and Noise Insulated Glass option.

I would add Adaptive Cruise Control. Even if you don't want/use it, if you ever resold it would be (at least for me) a must have option if I were buying a used Macan.
Old 04-04-2022, 06:15 PM
Mstephensfache
Track Day

Thank you for the feedback. I did order the adaptive cruise control I must have forgotten to write that on the list here. I have thought about the Glass Option. Did you end up getting that on yours? Have you been happy with it? Thanks again for reading and replying.
Old 04-04-2022, 10:26 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 937 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by Mstephensfache
Thank you for the feedback. I did order the adaptive cruise control I must have forgotten to write that on the list here. I have thought about the Glass Option. Did you end up getting that on yours? Have you been happy with it? Thanks again for reading and replying.
I'll tell you when I pickup my 2022 GTS later this week. A couple of people who had owned a Macan with and without it replied to my same thread back when I was doing my build that they felt it made a huge difference on hot summer days (with the black interior) and also on interior noise on the highway. Based on that I added it.
Old 04-04-2022, 10:43 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 533 Posts

Delete Smartphone Wireless Charging. Mine heated up the phone once, once enough. Just as easy to plug in a short USB-C cord. Don't know if the charging cradle gets better reception as supposedly connected to the roof antenna.

Spend the savings instead on the glass.

Last edited by Terry Adams; 04-04-2022 at 10:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
flyau98 (04-11-2022)
Old 04-04-2022, 10:54 PM
CapitalAL
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Mstephensfache
I'm a returning member after a too-long absence. Owned and sold a Boxter S which I greatly enjoyed. I’m returning to the Porsche family, and am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new Macan S. The Dealer has assigned me a June allocation. I would greatly appreciate Member thoughts on the configuration I have ordered. Anything important that I may have missed? Anything I have selected that you would suggest I delete? Here Goes:
Night Blue Metallic with Standard Interior in Agate Grey, I selected the 14 Way seats
Premium Package Plus
Roof Rails in Aluminum, Trailer Hitch, Sport Tailpipes in Silver
Adaptive Air Suspension incl PASM
Sport Chrono Package
20" wheels Dark Titanium, Colored center caps
Surround View
Self Steering Park Assist
ACC
Heated Steering Wheel
Interior trim in Brushed Aluminum
Smartphone Wireless Charging
The self steering park assist just seems like a gimmick to me. Unless you plan to do a lot of parallel parking or really don't know how to park save the money or spend it on something else like the sport exhaust system. You are already spending the $900+ on the sport tailpipes and getting Sport Chrono so I think it is a really nice option especially on the 2.9 L engine which sounds really good. Other than that looks like a really nice build.
Nickshu (04-05-2022)
Old 04-10-2022, 10:45 AM
Mstephensfache
Track Day

Thank you for the great feedback. This is exactly what i was hoping to learn. I appreciate you taking the time to read and respond and look forward to my car’s arrival.
Old 04-10-2022, 11:31 AM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 378 Likes on 220 Posts

I would revisit Sport Chrono. It’s a must-have on a 911: not so much on a Macan.
The following 2 users liked this post by OliverK68:
dak911 (04-11-2022), lamacan (04-11-2022)
Old 04-10-2022, 01:17 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by OliverK68
I would revisit Sport Chrono. It’s a must-have on a 911: not so much on a Macan.
Agree on the 911 comment, but I wish you could explain this opinion on a $1220 option. As explained by Porsche:

Includes:
  • Analog and digital stopwatch
  • Mode switch on the steering wheel to select the driving modes Normal, SPORT, SPORT PLUS, and Individual
  • SPORT PLUS mode with performance-oriented settings for engine, gearbox, and chassis
  • Individual mode for personalized selection of vehicle sport settings
  • SPORT Response Button with performance-oriented settings for engine and transmission at the touch of a button (20 second duration)
  • Activation of launch control in SPORT PLUS mode
  • Expansion of Porsche Stability Management (PSM) by a SPORT mode
https://cc.porsche.com/icc/ccCall.do...start%2fall%2f

Perhaps you've driven with/without back to back. Just curious.
Old 04-10-2022, 01:55 PM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 378 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
Agree on the 911 comment, but I wish you could explain this opinion on a $1220 option. As explained by Porsche:

Includes:
  • Mode switch on the steering wheel to select the driving modes Normal, SPORT, SPORT PLUS, and Individual
  • SPORT PLUS mode with performance-oriented settings for engine, gearbox, and chassis
  • SPORT Response Button with performance-oriented settings for engine and transmission at the touch of a button (20 second duration)

SC with its Sport+ mode is useful if you are able to explore the limits, such as on a track.

After trying launch control a handful of times to impress your friends, you’ll forget about it.

SC in the 911 includes dynamic engine mounts, a hardware option no Macan has.

About the only argument for SC would be for Sport Response for passing but I think it would be better served with GTS levels of HP.

Not saying it’s a waste of money. It’s just not as useful in the Macan, so you need to consider how you are going to use it.

Test drove both S and GTS models last year. Also had it on my 991.2. Had an order for a Macan GTS last summer but switched to a 992 C2S Cab (Manual, where SC is included by default).

Last edited by OliverK68; 04-10-2022 at 02:02 PM.
dak911 (04-11-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 01:31 AM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Adams

Includes:

I agree it's not an option truly suited to a heavy car, but I also optioned PTV+ to see if that improves turn in so that may be worthless too, however $1220 for chrono gets you that **** on the steering wheel. A real ****, priceless in the touch screen era.
Old 04-11-2022, 08:39 AM
alanek
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Going from a 2018 and 2019 “S” the 2022 “S” is way faster. No need for Sport Chrono in a suburban setting. In my opinion.
dak911 (04-11-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 10:05 AM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by alanek
Going from a 2018 and 2019 “S” the 2022 “S” is way faster. No need for Sport Chrono in a suburban setting. In my opinion.
HUGE difference in the 2022 S over the 2019 S Much more "response", louder exhaust, feels much more "planted"... I love the ACC, and the Surround Cameras
On ours, Carmine Red, I opted for Black trim, and Black rails, Black tailpipes and Grey 20" wheels (5 Spoke, easy to clean), also delete the model designation (I took it off),
You're gonna' love it... Now at 3000 miles ....
Old 04-11-2022, 05:04 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Great build, Night Blue Met is a great color!

Only change I would make is to add 18-way seats. Once you option the premium pkg plus its only an extra $380 irrc. I love my 18-ways, but they are not for everyone.
Old 04-11-2022, 08:59 PM
georgej
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 41 Posts

I am not sure why I get excited contemplating someone else's build, I guess it is because I had so much fun with mine.

I opted for all of the sporting options including Sport chrono, PTV, PSCB, and air susp included. I use the sport chrono every time I drive it. Individual is set to combine normal suspension with sport shifting/throttle response/etc. Most of the time it is there. Twisties go to sport or sport+, normal when flying under the radar. Unfortunately only the GTS has the lowering setting which mine lives in.

It is hot up here in Napa, CA and the thermal insulated glass is 100% worth it (here). Also got the side shades which help.

I have frequent long drives with little activity and adaptive cruise works amazingly and it is used frequently.

For a special feel inside I added race-tex headliner and to me it adds a wonderful speciallness to the interior. Many people notice and comment on it but I really did that for me. I like the 18 way seats though no basis of comparison.

I kind of regret not getting the self park. I do a fine job and don't know how well it is implemented but the Macan is a tall and wide car. If it does a good quick job and does not curb the wheels it might be worth it.

finally I HATE the wireless charging as others have said. My phone overheated, it seemed to charge about 1% per hour though I stopped using so not super sure, it is tucked away so you forget and leave it in the car despite the dash warning. I use a 6 inch usb cord and leave the phone in a cupholder.

If I were getting a 2022 then I would get the S because I hate all of the black plastic on the new GTS. I did rear badge delete because it seemed less in your face. You'll have a lovely car with those colors and wheels, enjoy your new car!!!

Last edited by georgej; 04-11-2022 at 09:01 PM. Reason: adding comment on seats