Buying first Macan, must haves?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2022, 01:00 AM
CayenneGTSNL
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Buying first Macan, must haves?

Hey,
I am buying a used Macan in the upcoming weeks and wondering what the 'must have' options are. For me personally, it's the PASM lift system, Panoroof but I hope the experts can chime in.
Coming from a Cayenne GTS 4.8l with around 450hp I wonder if the base model Macan will be fast enough. I don't expect a race car, but I do hope the car has some power on an open highway.

Currently looking at this one: https://finder.porsche.com/nl/nl-NL/...ccasion-1GR9OW

Plan B would be to buy a 2018 model GTS or Turbo as the prices are absolutely insane right now for 2020+ models besides the base.

Lastly, do my Cayenne wheels/tires fit the Macan?
Old 06-12-2022, 11:21 AM
CapitalAL
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by CayenneGTSNL
Hey,
I am buying a used Macan in the upcoming weeks and wondering what the 'must have' options are. For me personally, it's the PASM lift system, Panoroof but I hope the experts can chime in.
Coming from a Cayenne GTS 4.8l with around 450hp I wonder if the base model Macan will be fast enough. I don't expect a race car, but I do hope the car has some power on an open highway.

Currently looking at this one: https://finder.porsche.com/nl/nl-NL/...ccasion-1GR9OW

Plan B would be to buy a 2018 model GTS or Turbo as the prices are absolutely insane right now for 2020+ models besides the base.

Lastly, do my Cayenne wheels/tires fit the Macan?
I just placed an order for a 2023 Macan S this past week and was able to test drive a base as that was the only trim they had in stock. While the base will be adequate for more people it was not quite enough for me not only in terms of speed but also the lacking exhaust note. If you are coming from a GTS Cayenne it will definitely be slower so I would consider an S trim or higher. One thing to note is PASM does not change the ride height of the car, it only changes the level of firmness in the suspension system. You would need to get air suspension if you want to change the ride height. As far as "must have" options it will really depend on the individual. I ordered a relatively lightly optioned S with the premium plus package (which includes heated and ventilated seats, panoramic roof, 14 way seats, PDLS+, LCA, and Bose surround sound system), sports exhaust, gloss black window trim, and trailer hitch.
The following users liked this post:
mdkappy (06-19-2022)
Old 06-12-2022, 02:25 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 310 Likes on 185 Posts

Coming from a Cayenne GTS I would be surprised if found the base adequate except for urban use.

An '18 Turbo with its larger V6 and (especially if with air suspension) will provide power, smoothness that put it on a par with the Cayenne, plus the handling that make the Macan such a sweet machine.
Old 06-13-2022, 10:05 AM
VAGfan
Pro

Received 273 Likes on 182 Posts

Deep pockets !!!
Old 06-13-2022, 11:02 AM
Clubspec330i
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Are you buying Macan as an additional vehicle? If so, the base will be enough. I am also in search of a base Macan, 2019-2021, as an additional. If you are replacing Cayenne GTS, it will be hard to find a fun and utilitarian vehicle. I would say '18 Turbo should suffice.

Have a good time searching and please do share pictures of the new ride.

-Mack
Old 06-13-2022, 01:09 PM
offagain
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Having had a 958 Cayenne S in the past (with a C63S in between), I found that they are similar but very different. Must haves? I would recommend a minimum of the Bose stereo system, but I am pretty sure its standard on the S anyway. And I would recommend the better seats too - maybe not the all-signing ones, but upgrade them as the GTS seats will be better in comparison.

One comment though - I am not sure what model your GTS is, but with the Macan the PDK make a massive difference to my old 958 with the slushbox. The Macan S is down on power vs the Cayenne S, but its much faster and responsive in comparison. But I am not sure what model GTS you have though, but the Macan should feel responsive, but not sure how responsive vs the Cayenne. You might want to consider the Macan GTS though - pricing is closer than you might think when you start spec'ing up an S. The Macan GTS comes with a lot of the options as standard, so check it out first.
Old 06-14-2022, 12:05 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Air Suspension is great, a must have for me now. I also love my 18-way seats. Premium package plus is also a must have for me due to the pano roof, keyless start, and cooled seats.

Six cylinders was also a must for me.

Good luck!
Old 06-14-2022, 02:32 PM
Emmett Bowd
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I just took delivery on my new Macan GTS which replaced my old Macan GTS. I have driven every example through the range and felt that the base Macan was adequate in most situations, especially in sport mode, but like mentioned above you may find it lacking coming from a Cayenne GTS. If it were me, I would look at getting a nice used GTS/Turbo model which will give you all the options you like (pan roof, air suspension) and great power delivery in all situations. Get a CPO car if possible for peace of mind.

Good luck on your search!
Old 06-14-2022, 06:05 PM
lyricgskills
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out an 2019 Macan GTS or Turbo model with a CPO warranty.
Old 06-19-2022, 08:29 AM
eosrebel
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Order

Hi folks,

Lots of good info here. I'm about to order a 23 S. For those with air suspension, how many suspension settings are there? And, are they all controlled by the one center console button?

I am hearing from this series of posts, it is a good improvement over PASM .... which I believe just has 2 settings, correct? Thank you.

Also - anyone ever order PTV?
Old 06-19-2022, 10:32 AM
Olddragger
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 53 Posts

First thing I would budget for would be an extended warrenty!
Old 06-19-2022, 11:01 PM
chong0
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 89 Posts

Air suspension has 3 settings. Off road normal and low.

It really is a game changer. Would absolutely recommend
Old 06-20-2022, 10:27 PM
eosrebel
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ok, thank you.

Also, btw on another post it was mentioned to just do a google search of Porsche technical questions. I tried it and that is very helpful.
Old 06-23-2022, 01:02 PM
JChen
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I previously planned to order a base Macan or Cayenne but dealer informed me it will take at least 6-12 months so I ended up paying sticker for a loaner 2021 Base Macan with around 6k miles as it was on the lot and I wasn't willing to wait that long. Plus, I do kinda prefer the buttons on the console over the touch screen on the 2022. In terms of power, I definitely feel it is lacking a bit but for a daily drive, it is fine to me. Sometimes it makes me wonder why I chose a base Macan over an X3 M40i as they are in the same price range, but the Macan does handle very well and quality is incomparable to a BMW. I would take a fully loaded base model over a lightly optioned S trim but that is only if you care about the options more than the actual performance/speed.

Personally, some options I would like on a Macan are the heated/ventilated seats and the panoramic roof. I am picky with the rims so it is worth splurging a bit extra for better rims. Oh, and the colored crest on the rim is a must.

Old 06-23-2022, 01:11 PM
CapitalAL
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by JChen
I previously planned to order a base Macan or Cayenne but dealer informed me it will take at least 6-12 months so I ended up paying sticker for a loaner 2021 Base Macan with around 6k miles as it was on the lot and I wasn't willing to wait that long. Plus, I do kinda prefer the buttons on the console over the touch screen on the 2022. In terms of power, I definitely feel it is lacking a bit but for a daily drive, it is fine to me. Sometimes it makes me wonder why I chose a base Macan over an X3 M40i as they are in the same price range, but the Macan does handle very well and quality is incomparable to a BMW. I would take a fully loaded base model over a lightly optioned S trim but that is only if you care about the options more than the actual performance/speed.

Personally, some options I would like on a Macan are the heated/ventilated seats and the panoramic roof. I am picky with the rims so it is worth splurging a bit extra for better rims. Oh, and the colored crest on the rim is a must.
6-12 months for a base Macan seems way out of the ordinary. I have heard 3-5 months, maybe 6 at the longest from most people for a Macan.

Quick Reply: Buying first Macan, must haves?