Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Glove Box Gets that Warm, Really?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2022, 08:56 PM
Rogue One
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Glove Box Gets that Warm, Really?!

Hey Friends!

My first post as a new member - and Macan owner!

I bought a new 2021 Base Macan (Chalk) back in January and am really enjoying it. Previously owned my various VWs, Audis - even a BMW, but this is my first Porsche.

So, here is my question - if you will indulge me? If you are like me, do not have much involvement with - or give a lot of thought to your glove box. Fair enough. I rarely have a need to open it. But today, returning home after a 30 drive (rural & highway) had to put something in it. Wow! Quite surprised that it was quite warm, and the top of the glove box - on the inside - felt very warm. More so than I recall on any of my other cars…..

Yes, I know that the engine generates a lot of heat, but would that cause the glove box to become that warm? Is that your experience as well?

Appreciate your thoughts…..
Old 08-17-2022, 09:38 PM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 378 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogue One
Hey Friends

!

My first post as a new member - and Macan owner!

I bought a new 2021 Base Macan (Chalk) back in January and am really enjoying it. Previously owned my various VWs, Audis - even a BMW, but this is my first Porsche.

So, here is my question - if you will indulge me? If you are like me, do not have much involvement with - or give a lot of thought to your glove box. Fair enough. I rarely have a need to open it. But today, returning home after a 30 drive (rural & highway) had to put something in it. Wow! Quite surprised that it was quite warm, and the top of the glove box - on the inside - felt very warm. More so than I recall on any of my other cars…..

Yes, I know that the engine generates a lot of heat, but would that cause the glove box to become that warm? Is that your experience as well?

Appreciate your thoughts…..

The following 2 users liked this post by OliverK68:
Nickshu (08-18-2022), Rogue One (08-18-2022)
Old 08-18-2022, 05:52 AM
Rogue One
Track Day

Originally Posted by OliverK68
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am aware of the vent and did check to confirm it was open; however, my box is pretty full of stuff so the vent was largely blocked. I will empty out some of the items, and see if that makes a difference for better air flow.

But is it common for the Macan glove box to get that warm? Just curious with other owner’s experience.

Old 08-18-2022, 08:44 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogue One
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am aware of the vent and did check to confirm it was open; however, my box is pretty full of stuff so the vent was largely blocked. I will empty out some of the items, and see if that makes a difference for better air flow.

But is it common for the Macan glove box to get that warm? Just curious with other owner’s experience.
I’ve never noticed it at all. And I have the a/c vent closed.
Old 08-18-2022, 09:19 AM
mvmojo
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts

Like the OP, I never gave the glove box much thought in my 2018 Macan GTS except to notice that it's pretty small. Once you get the Porsche book in it there's not much room for anything else. Had no idea there was an air vent in it, but that really seems odd. What would you store in your glove box that needed to be kept cool? And, if it did need to be kept cool, how would it stay cool when the car was shut off and parked in the hot Florida sun? Seems very strange to me to go to the expense of putting a vent in the glove box! What am I missing?
The following users liked this post:
Rogue One (08-18-2022)
Old 08-18-2022, 10:54 AM
Rogue One
Track Day

Originally Posted by mvmojo
Like the OP, I never gave the glove box much thought in my 2018 Macan GTS except to notice that it's pretty small. Once you get the Porsche book in it there's not much room for anything else. Had no idea there was an air vent in it, but that really seems odd. What would you store in your glove box that needed to be kept cool? And, if it did need to be kept cool, how would it stay cool when the car was shut off and parked in the hot Florida sun? Seems very strange to me to go to the expense of putting a vent in the glove box! What am I missing?
That’s where my mind is at too….

I tested my vent this morning, it is working (and made sure no personal articles are blocking it), but other than my registration and a spare set of valve stem caps am not likely to leave much else in the glove compartment.

Quick Reply: Glove Box Gets that Warm, Really?!