Macan 2014-Current

Looking for info/advice on 2018/19 Base Macan

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2022, 08:36 PM
scottiemac
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Looking for info/advice on 2018/19 Base Macan

Hi. I currently own a 2018 911 and am interested in a CPO Macan, either 2018 or 2019 as they fit in my price range. I recently drove a 2022 base Macan as a service loaner and was happy with the way it drove. My wife will likely be the primary beneficiary of the car. I’ve dismissed 2017’s as there seem to be more issues. I’d appreciate any comments the forum has on issues they may have experienced and suggestions. BTW, I live in Canada. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by scottiemac; 09-05-2022 at 12:51 AM.
Old 09-05-2022, 03:44 AM
worldwideviking
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just purchased a 2018 base Sport Edition. Trip home involved crossing the Rockies — Air+PASM combo is incredible. Worth comparing to standard suspension.
Old 09-05-2022, 10:59 AM
DSC48
Rennlist Member

Received 505 Likes on 205 Posts

I think I would for the 2019-2021 models. The facelifted rear end is more modern looking and you still get the physical buttons on the center console. Along with the larger NAV screen.
Old 09-05-2022, 03:04 PM
jkirkerx
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by scottiemac
Hi. I currently own a 2018 911 and am interested in a CPO Macan, either 2018 or 2019 as they fit in my price range. I recently drove a 2022 base Macan as a service loaner and was happy with the way it drove. My wife will likely be the primary beneficiary of the car. I’ve dismissed 2017’s as there seem to be more issues. I’d appreciate any comments the forum has on issues they may have experienced and suggestions. BTW, I live in Canada. Thanks in advance.
I thought the same thing and bought a 2018 CPO Macan GTS with no regrets. So far so good, with no problems, and I can't see my copy getting the timing chain leak, I feel that confident.

But one thing, I would look at the 2019 I think that has the 2.9L engine with the turbos in between the cylinder head. It has the reversed intake and exhaust to shorten the path of the exhaust gases to the turbos. I think this would be the final pinnacle of engine designs, over the previous 3.0L engine in the 2018, and maybe worth the consideration of just having that engine.

I can feel the turbo lag in ECO mode, which is fine with me because it keeps me from driving the car insane all the time and saves on gasoline. And if you decide to spend more on gas, you can drive the car in SPORT mode and the turbo lag is gone, because it keeps the turbos spun up higher via computer programming. But I think driving in SPORT mode comes at a price, such as higher operating temperatures and more engine wear. I get about 24 to 18 MPG with the 3.0L engine. If the 2.9L can get 2 MPG more, it would be worth it.

The base model seems to be fine as a daily driver. Easy to repair and maintain, and fine for driving in a flat area. Maintenance is pretty cheap on the EA888 engine, and I think it's a cast iron block that is pretty strong, so it's hard to blow up this engine.
Old 09-06-2022, 08:47 PM
scottiemac
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the input folks. While the appeal of more HP is always great I plan to stick with the base model. My brother in law has a GTS (leased vehicle and still under warranty) and he’s experiencing the timing chain oil leak.
I like the base 4 cylinder because it should be a simpler car and easier to work on. I just did most of the 4 year service on my 911 - air filter/spark plugs/brake flush. If I want complicated I’ll just go over to the other side of the garage!!
Old 09-06-2022, 09:01 PM
jkirkerx
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the input folks. While the appeal of more HP is always great I plan to stick with the base model. My brother in law has a GTS (leased vehicle and still under warranty) and he’s experiencing the timing chain oil leak.
I like the base 4 cylinder because it should be a simpler car and easier to work on. I just did most of the 4 year service on my 911 - air filter/spark plugs/brake flush. If I want complicated I’ll just go over to the other side of the garage!!
The base model to me is very easy and cheaper to maintain. The EA888 engine is pretty bullet proof, but does have the timing chain issue in a different way, where the chain tensioners can't keep up with the chain stretching, but that's a high mileage issue and if you drive the car really hard. And the valve cover leak if you let the engine run too hard for too long and really heat up that cylinder head. With the cast iron block, just keep the coolant fresh to prevent rust, and to keep operating temps down, and you should be fine.
Old 09-07-2022, 10:20 AM
VAGfan
Pro

Received 273 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by jkirkerx
The base model to me is very easy and cheaper to maintain. The EA888 engine is pretty bullet proof, but does have the timing chain issue in a different way, where the chain tensioners can't keep up with the chain stretching, but that's a high mileage issue and if you drive the car really hard. And the valve cover leak if you let the engine run too hard for too long and really heat up that cylinder head. With the cast iron block, just keep the coolant fresh to prevent rust, and to keep operating temps down, and you should be fine.
The timing chain stretch issue is highly dependent on frequency of oil changes, do them every 5000 miles max. The issue has nothing to do with how "hard" you drive the car. Neither does the valve cover oil seepage issue, that is just a poor durability choice of the sealant used.
Old 09-07-2022, 04:50 PM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 378 Likes on 220 Posts

Go for the 2019 as others have suggested. Facelifted front and rear and an updated PCM.

Also look for one with Premium pkg plus.

Also if you can, find one with a at least a partial leather pkg which includes a more aesthetically pleasing leather and stitching on the dash.
Old 09-12-2022, 10:28 AM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 565 Likes on 283 Posts

We purchased a base 2019 Macan from our Porsche dealership loaner fleet when it reached 5000 miles. We had driven it as a loaner and it had the color and options that we wanted. When we brought it back, we put a deposit on the car and waited for it to come off of fleet status. It became a CPO car and we got a discount ( 15% January 2019). We wanted the 2019 model because of the LED lighting, newer PCM and rear lighting. It has been great, consistently getting over 30 mpg on trips and a wonderful A to B local driver. It fits both of our large dogs with the back seats down and has more than enough torque from a traffic light to move away briskly. It certainly is not the fastest Porsche but then we did not buy it for that purpose.

Quick Reply: Looking for info/advice on 2018/19 Base Macan