Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Battery Registration - Necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2022, 11:04 PM
rennlistlennon
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Registration - Necessary?

2017 Macan GTS. A lot is made of registering the battery if replaced....but nothing I can find suggests that one MUST register the new battery and any consequences of not doing so. My Macan has the original Varta 92Ah AGM batt. I plan to replace with a compatible Duralast H8-AGM 95Ah batt....just 3Ah bigger. What is the risk of not registering after replacement, if any?????
Old 09-23-2022, 02:42 PM
mikegally
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Hi,
lots of threads over on the cayenne boards on this topic.
The consensus appears to be that registration doesn't really alter anything. Even some comments that dealers and independents don't bother.
I changed my battery last year (2012 cayenne) and the special code needed for registration wasn't on the replacement battery, so I used a code provided by one of the members and updated with my scan tool...and everything was/is fine.
Old 09-24-2022, 09:44 AM
mvmojo
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts

From the reading I've done, it seems like battery registration sets up the charging parameters of the alternator/regulator to optimize charging of the battery based on it's size, amp-hour capacity and age. As batteries age their internal resistance goes up. This requires a higher initial voltage for optimal charging. They may also need to spend more time in the absorption stage of charging to reach full charge. But, I question whether these subtle changes make a significant difference in battery performance unless you're routinely making lots of short trips in very cold weather where the battery doesn't ever get a good long charge. It's my belief that registering a new battery is nice but not absolutely necessary, i.e., it might make your battery perform a little better in icy cold conditions. It also might make your new battery last a little longer by not slightly over-charging when it's new (since the car thinks it's an old battery). But since every car is used differently, I seriously doubt the differences would be quantifiable! In my mind, battery registration falls under the "nice but not absolutely necessary category". That being said, there are relatively inexpensive devices that allow you to register your battery without a PIWIS. Here's the one I bought, but I haven't had a need to use it yet: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07Y8HLS...p=3481f441-61a

Last edited by mvmojo; 09-24-2022 at 09:47 AM. Reason: update link
Old 09-24-2022, 11:20 AM
mikegally
Instructor

Originally Posted by mvmojo
That being said, there are relatively inexpensive devices that allow you to register your battery without a PIWIS. Here's the one I bought, but I haven't had a need to use it yet: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07Y8HLS...p=3481f441-61a
Thats my favourite scan tool.
I've also used it to reset service interval lights, force a DPF regen, clear codes etc
The following users liked this post:
Titanium5150 (09-26-2022)
Old 09-25-2022, 08:15 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mikegally
Thats my favourite scan tool.
I've also used it to reset service interval lights, force a DPF regen, clear codes etc
Have you used this on your Porsche? And if so what year? Also, the purchase instructions on Amazon are confusing. Did you purchase the OBD reader AND have to purchase software?

Thanks.
Old 09-25-2022, 10:31 AM
mvmojo
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts

I've used the scanner for diagnostics, etc. on my 2018 Macan GTS, but have not used it for battery registration (yet). In terms of software, when you buy the scanner you can download the software for one car at no charge. If you want to download software for a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc., car(s), you pay the $21.99 fee for each additional car. (I have not purchased software for an additional car.) Hope this helps.
Old 09-25-2022, 01:47 PM
mikegally
Instructor

Originally Posted by mvmojo
I've used the scanner for diagnostics, etc. on my 2018 Macan GTS, but have not used it for battery registration (yet). In terms of software, when you buy the scanner you can download the software for one car at no charge. If you want to download software for a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc., car(s), you pay the $21.99 fee for each additional car. (I have not purchased software for an additional car.) Hope this helps.
Spot on.
Just to confirm you get one free manufacturer covering all models.
So you can use it on all modern Porsche models.
Ive used it on my 2012 Cayenne mostly but now I have a 2017 Macan, Ive also used it to reset the airbag light on my brothers 1999 996....sweet.
Great little tool that also has the basic OBD reader that can be used on all cars.
Old 09-26-2022, 05:09 PM
PSEE
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

The ProMax 808 has battery registration capability.

There is an extensive discussion thread in the "other" macan (no space) forum. It is generally recognized that registering the battery will result in
the longest possibly service life.

For the co$t of an AGM battery, why risk it over registration?

FWIW, BMW also requires battery registration...
Old 09-26-2022, 05:59 PM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Received 652 Likes on 400 Posts

This kind of complex crap like registration of batteries is everything I hate about new car technology. I'll have the dealer do it when I need a new battery, so I guess this specific issue is largely transparent to me, but I just really hate the ridiculous complexity that's being built into cars today. .
The following users liked this post:
mikebrinda (09-26-2022)

Quick Reply: Battery Registration - Necessary?