Macan 2014-Current

Clear Side Markers

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2023, 09:57 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 686 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by wacou
Is it just PA things or "amber" side marker is mandatory? I meant I don't see Tesla has any "amber" reflector, maybe "red" or "black" ?
It's a North America thing. Look closer. I bet if you shined a flashlight on that lens in the dark with the lights off, it will reflect a bit of orange.

Old 04-21-2023, 10:48 PM
wacou
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rasetsu
It's a North America thing. Look closer. I bet if you shined a flashlight on that lens in the dark with the lights off, it will reflect a bit of orange.
But that is not "side marker", is it? Its almost like replicate of turn signal. The reason I asked is that if anyone ever got stopped by cop for tinted/paint/clear their side marker? ( If I am 20 years younger with steady hand, I would def want to paint that side marker. )
Old 04-22-2023, 12:22 AM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wacou
But that is not "side marker", is it? Its almost like replicate of turn signal. The reason I asked is that if anyone ever got stopped by cop for tinted/paint/clear their side marker? ( If I am 20 years younger with steady hand, I would def want to paint that side marker. )
That is a side marker. The light points to the side and is visible when looking at the car directly from the side. It's not the turn signal.

I doubt anyone with a Porsche has ever been pulled over for tinting/clearing/painting over their sidemarker lens. I was pulled over a couple of months ago for speeding and the officer didn't say anything about my tinted sidemarkers or my lack of a front license plate either. I was let go with a warning for my speed. Maybe if you were in some clapped out Altima then a cop could use it as an excuse under the guise of probable cause to initiate a stop.
The following users liked this post:
wacou (04-22-2023)
Old 04-22-2023, 01:05 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

That is a side marker. The light points to the side and is visible when looking at the car directly from the side. It's not the turn signal.

I doubt anyone with a Porsche has ever been pulled over for tinting/clearing/painting over their sidemarker lens. I was pulled over a couple of months ago for speeding and the officer didn't say anything about my tinted sidemarkers or my lack of a front license plate either. I was let go with a warning for my speed. Maybe if you were in some clapped out Altima then a cop could use it as an excuse under the guise of probable cause to initiate a stop.
I was pulled over in my 911 for no front plate. As DPS trooper was writing up the warning he commented that my clear side markers were non compliant. I showed him the amber bulb illuminating from the clear side marker but he said in Texas (at the time) the side marker had to reflect amber. No warning for that but thought it was an interesting comment.
Old 04-22-2023, 02:01 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I was pulled over in my 911 for no front plate. As DPS trooper was writing up the warning he commented that my clear side markers were non compliant. I showed him the amber bulb illuminating from the clear side marker but he said in Texas (at the time) the side marker had to reflect amber. No warning for that but thought it was an interesting comment.
I'm in Texas too. Technically, the trooper is correct.
Where exactly were you in Texas that a trooper lit you up for no front plate?
Old 04-23-2023, 08:13 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

I'm in Texas too. Technically, the trooper is correct.
Where exactly were you in Texas that a trooper lit you up for no front plate?
He shadowed me on the 35 access road by the outlet mall - finally pulled over on Westinghouse Road. It was Sunday of a COTA weekend - they seemed to be out in force.
Old 04-23-2023, 08:19 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
He shadowed me on the 35 access road by the outlet mall - finally pulled over on Westinghouse Road. It was Sunday of a COTA weekend - they seemed to be out in force.
Events related to cars always seems to bring them out in force. And unfortunately different officers have different attitudes about it all.
Old 04-26-2023, 02:27 PM
Dream in PTS
Pro

Received 855 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Wolfe
Yep, by far the best option. I painted my own Chalk.

Mr. Wolfe
Very nice.

Quick Reply: Clear Side Markers