Macan 2014-Current

2022 base enough?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2023, 08:34 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 688 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by chong0
I am comparing my 22 macan GTS to my base 20 cayenne with standard (not leather) interior. Could be the size/platform, could be the softer suspension. Tech does not equal luxury but it contributes. Definition of luxury could be due to all of the above, but it's not about the leather since the gts has more than a standard interior cayenne. YMMV
To my dismay, the concept of luxury is an ever evolving social construct with little to no objective standard. According to a recent study, Tesla is a luxury brand. Other than tech and image, what else would qualify that brand as luxury? A King Ranch F150 has way more of what I would consider to be luxury features but that isn't considered a luxury vehicle. So point being is that "luxury" is pretty much whatever you feel it is.
Old 02-08-2023, 09:23 PM
josephvman
Racer

Received 249 Likes on 129 Posts

It's really annoying that the Cobb for the Macan base is $1,425, while the one for the GTI, which is basically the same engine, is $695. The Porsche tax is high on this one!

Originally Posted by BMinSFL
The tune should help a lot, I am very happy with just the JB1 and would go with Cobb or APR if it wasn't for the warranty. I have a non-highway commute and think this car is perfect for that. Ultimately it comes down to what the owner uses it for. I wouldn't enjoy it as much with a highway commute as you said. Its not bad but its not going to deliver the fun experience like a city/suburban commute will. If you haven't tried the pedal commander, that's something to look into also.
The following 2 users liked this post by josephvman:
fuenfer (02-08-2024), rasetsu (02-08-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 09:33 PM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 538 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by chong0
I am comparing my 22 macan GTS to my base 20 cayenne with standard (not leather) interior. Could be the size/platform, could be the softer suspension. Tech does not equal luxury but it contributes. Definition of luxury could be due to all of the above, but it's not about the leather since the gts has more than a standard interior cayenne. YMMV
Ahh, we're going off different definitions of luxury then...

I was talking towards fit/finish, material quality, or basically how "nice" it is in the interior being the luxury aspect. I categorize the size towards how practical a vehicle is and how soft the suspension is towards how comfortable a vehicle is, which is different than luxury to me, but I suppose does contribute to something feeling luxurious.
Old 02-09-2023, 01:21 AM
Edward911
Instructor

Received 312 Likes on 94 Posts

I just got a 2023 Macan 2.0L for my wife as her DD. And, it's likely the one I'll drive to Costco, the mall, etc. on the weekends with her & the kids. I dunno if you guys have exciting commutes to your workplaces, but for going to downtown in stop & go traffic, I value:
  • Comfortable seats (18 ways are terrific)
  • Nice interior (leather interior goes a long way towards making the Macan interior look nicer)
  • Decent fuel economy
  • Decent audio / infotainment (Bose is fine, Burmester would be even better)
I have a Taycan 4S as my DD, and it meets all those criteria, too. It can do HPDE track days, but it's just not as fun as a 911. So in that regard, a Panamera S, Taycan 4S, or Cayenne S (or any higher trim for those respective models) would make a fine, if not compromised, one-car solution.

The best solution is to have a Macan as a competent & frugal DD and then a 718 or 911 as a fun weekend car!
Old 02-09-2023, 09:34 AM
ByByBMW
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jobunaga
I drive a Macan S, but get the base Macan as a loaner whenever I go in for service. Most recently, I drove the base for close to 2 weeks while some warranty work was getting done on my S.

The base is great as a daily driver in almost every aspect. It has a 0-60 time of less than six seconds which is faster than the majority of cars that are on the road. The interior is a wash when comparing the base to the S or the GTS. Handling without PASM is decently sharp, especially for an SUV.

With regards to power, you can open up the throttle a lot more often than in an S or GTS. If you go too hard in the S or GTS for more than a few seconds, you're easily 20-30 mph over the speed limit. Personally, I don't see the benefit of owning a vehicle that can go 200mph if all you're doing is driving in on roads that have speed limits.

There's a lot of noise in this thread, but the bottom line is that if you have the money to spare, go with an S or GTS with no regrets. However, if budget is a concern and it's really just meant to be your daily driver, the base is a great option.
Thank you!! Another voice of reason in this thread full of street racers and wanna be's. As a DD my Macan is perfect, and keep in mind I am still in the break-in phase so no exceeding 4K RPM. It's comfortable, has all the amenities I like and wanted. The gas mileage is better even while in break in than the advertised specs. And yes budget was also a consideration. With the recent passing of my wife I needed to reduce the car herd from 3 to 2 cars as much for insurance considerations as anything else. After Covid and my wife's illness which put off the Macan, after over 3 years of wanting a Macan, I am finally in one and it is even better than my imagination could imagine.
So, if you are just looking for a daily driver, like I was, a base may well be the fit one needs.
And for the folks who wonder what I do for a performance car, my 2012 436 HP Corvette fits that bill just fine.

Last edited by ByByBMW; 02-09-2023 at 12:01 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ByByBMW:
Johny0299 (05-26-2023), Nickshu (02-09-2023), SnakeEyesB (02-09-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 11:47 AM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 765 Likes on 434 Posts

I have said this before but when I was looking at Macans, I was totally happy with ordering a new base model. However, I found a CPO Turbo for the same money and got that instead. You may want to consider going the CPO S/GTS/Turbo route if you're having second thoughts on the base model being what you want and have some flexibility on the options.
Old 02-09-2023, 12:18 PM
scottiemac
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been watching this thread as well. I have a 2021 Base model and feel no need to have the fastest thing on the road. If you want party tricks, by a Tesla but I think that will wear off. The base Macan is a very nice small luxury SUV, not a race car.
The following users liked this post:
ByByBMW (02-09-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 04:22 PM
davitd
AutoX

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I collected my family base Macan yesturday. As a fun car I have 911 gts and fiat spyder, so wanted something good for family trips.

Before ordering I was leaning towards Macan s and even had the allocation but did quite extensive test drive with the dealer’s base Macan and decided against the S.

There were couple of factors and price difference was not one of them:

1. The power was more than adequate for my country where max speed limits are 110 kmh. Up to that speed the car was quite lively;
2. S comes wit min. 20 inch wheels and wider tyres. Such equipped loaner with air suspension was quite sensitive to road surface pulling one way or another.
3. Turn in was quite sharp compared to friends S and I like this feeling of responsiveness.

So all in all I concentrated on comfort features and just hit the bulls eye:

I ordered Macan with noise insulated glass, ugly 19 inch wheels and AS, some leather on the dash, 14 way seats, and no sunroof (hate sunroof, really ruins the structural integrity).

Such equpped the car is even better than I expected. It is super silent and I guess the most comfortable SUV I have driven (way comfortable than latest gen Merc GLE and Volvo xc90 both with AS).

Now about the engine itself. I did not order the sports exhaust and engine note in normal mode is a bot underwhelming, dulled. The tester had sports exhaust and it was quite a bit emotional. Lack of exhaust noise makes the acceleration process a bit boring. The power is there, because you pick up the speed quite fast it is just the process that is underwhelming. Power delivery in normal mode is also quite lazy. I am following the break in procedure and do not rev the engine high, bit still you need to press the pedal quite hard to achieve decent acceleration. Sport mode cures the problem.

All in all I am super happy and aside standard exhaust would not be changing anything with the car
The following users liked this post:
ByByBMW (02-09-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 08:14 PM
SnakeEyesB
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by c1pher
I have said this before but when I was looking at Macans, I was totally happy with ordering a new base model. However, I found a CPO Turbo for the same money and got that instead. You may want to consider going the CPO S/GTS/Turbo route if you're having second thoughts on the base model being what you want and have some flexibility on the options.
The problem right now is that a 2 year old base or S is only going to sell about $4K - $7K lower than their MSRP's (unless they have options that carry very little to no value). They weren't purchased even close to the MSRP to begin with and even now people are buying new for less than the MSRP.

Hence, given the pricing, it is very difficult for a 2 year old base or S CPO to pencil out. Dealers are charging a premium for CPO's because a lot of buyers cannot wait for a new one and because the MSRP on the new one has gone up (although they also now include certain standard features that people used to pay for, such as adaptive cruise control).

Last edited by SnakeEyesB; 02-10-2023 at 08:08 AM.
Old 02-10-2023, 06:03 AM
BMinSFL
Racer

Received 126 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by davitd
I collected my family base Macan yesturday. As a fun car I have 911 gts and fiat spyder, so wanted something good for family trips.

Before ordering I was leaning towards Macan s and even had the allocation but did quite extensive test drive with the dealer’s base Macan and decided against the S.

There were couple of factors and price difference was not one of them:

1. The power was more than adequate for my country where max speed limits are 110 kmh. Up to that speed the car was quite lively;
2. S comes wit min. 20 inch wheels and wider tyres. Such equipped loaner with air suspension was quite sensitive to road surface pulling one way or another.
3. Turn in was quite sharp compared to friends S and I like this feeling of responsiveness.

So all in all I concentrated on comfort features and just hit the bulls eye:

I ordered Macan with noise insulated glass, ugly 19 inch wheels and AS, some leather on the dash, 14 way seats, and no sunroof (hate sunroof, really ruins the structural integrity).

Such equpped the car is even better than I expected. It is super silent and I guess the most comfortable SUV I have driven (way comfortable than latest gen Merc GLE and Volvo xc90 both with AS).

Now about the engine itself. I did not order the sports exhaust and engine note in normal mode is a bot underwhelming, dulled. The tester had sports exhaust and it was quite a bit emotional. Lack of exhaust noise makes the acceleration process a bit boring. The power is there, because you pick up the speed quite fast it is just the process that is underwhelming. Power delivery in normal mode is also quite lazy. I am following the break in procedure and do not rev the engine high, bit still you need to press the pedal quite hard to achieve decent acceleration. Sport mode cures the problem.

All in all I am super happy and aside standard exhaust would not be changing anything with the car
Congrats and enjoy! It's interesting to hear a different perspective on the exhaust. I actually think it's too loud. While it sounds pretty good at idle/ after startup and as it's building boost in the lower rpms, I frankly never want to hear a four-cylinder engine through the revs. I am a total fan of the engine otherwise.

Regarding the pedal input, sounds like a pedal commander should be on your early mod list.

Another minor nit is the sea of black plastic they chose to cover up the intercooler intakes on the base. Unfortunately it's even worse on the 2022 models. I went ahead and added some textured vinyl to help. Zunsport grills may also help but I feel that adding additional parts and weight for aesthetics isn't ideal.

Last edited by BMinSFL; 02-10-2023 at 06:14 AM.
Old 02-10-2023, 07:20 AM
davitd
AutoX

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess, the muted sound I hear is not that much pleasent, typical four cyclinder drone, may be the sports exhaust just masked those unpleasent notes and made the process way more pleasent
Old 02-10-2023, 07:31 AM
BMinSFL
Racer

Originally Posted by davitd
I guess, the muted sound I hear is not that much pleasent, typical four cyclinder drone, may be the sports exhaust just masked those unpleasent notes and made the process way more pleasent
I don't notice any drone, maybe give it some time for the deposits to coat the inside. The only unpleasant notes are at wide open throttle in higher rpms, not necessarily from the inside of the car but for those outside and behind.

It's not just 4 cyl though, something like an M3 I6 Turbo also has that sound.
Old 02-13-2023, 10:42 PM
mojo12345
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Cobb tune

Originally Posted by drcollie
Even my wife didn't like the base, and I hated it. What a dud. She wanted the Turbo they had (this was 2020) but settled for an S, because she got a case of the cheaps at the last minute. Now all I hear from her about her Macan is "I should have bought the Turbo".

Once in a while I get a base Macan as a Loaner when my 992S or Cayenne GTS is in the shop - I can't wait to give it back. I'd rather have an Audi SQ5 than a base Macan for about the same money.

If you can swing it, the Cayenne is much nicer.....
just a tune on my S. Can’t believe the difference. Your wife would love it and you saved a ton.
Old 02-14-2023, 03:12 AM
BMinSFL
Racer

Originally Posted by mojo12345
just a tune on my S. Can’t believe the difference. Your wife would love it and you saved a ton.
While I'm sure it's awesome with a tune, I would never tune and void the warranty on my wife's brand new car. Even a piggyback is too much prep work before taking it in.
Old 02-14-2023, 09:31 PM
Shuga
Rennlist Member

Received 643 Likes on 454 Posts

It seems as though this has turned into a hate thread on the base lol. I think I should explain a little more in-depth. I am/ have been waiting for over a year now for the 2024 Cayenne to be unveiled. However I feel I need something in the meantime ( Can never have to many Porsches right?) I don't daily my Panny GTS. It sits most of the week. That's my fun car. I'm not a 911 person. I love them but they're not for me. I daily a 20 Ram 1500. I love it. Got it new. Only put 3k miles on it. Shows how often I drive. I don't need every car I have to be a GTS or a Turbo. Would I like for them to be? Yes. Do I need them no. I wanted to start this thread to see if any base owners had regrets.

Quick Reply: 2022 base enough?