Macan 2014-Current

Tires and alignment

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2023, 01:55 PM
wbferran
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Tires and alignment

I’m about 15,000 miles into my new Scorpions. Dealer says they need to be replaced soon. To me, that is ridiculous. I don’t track this car, nor am I very aggressive with it. Dealer also recommended an alignment, which was also done 15,000 miles ago. And the dealer recommended new brakes very soon, which were new about 20,000 miles ago.

I really like this car, but I’m starting to wonder if it’s the right car for me. If it needs new tires every 15,000 miles, can’t hold an alignment more than 15,000 miles, and needs new brakes every 20,000 miles, I’m not sure the performance is gonna be worth it.

are most experiences similar to this, or am I doing something wrong? Honestly, as a retired guy, the vast majority of my driving is local, not a lot of highway speeds. I am accustomed to cars that do not require this much TLC so often. Thx.
Old 03-07-2023, 02:14 PM
Coolwnc
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

Do some research and see if folks are having the same issues....Also talk to some independent service people that are in the know.
The following users liked this post:
Mikey K (03-07-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 04:26 PM
Mikey K
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 21 Posts

Common dealer upsell ploys
Take it to an Indie for an honest second opinion
Old 03-07-2023, 04:33 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 686 Likes on 423 Posts

Measure the tread depth yourself.
Amazon Amazon
dml (03-09-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 04:39 PM
BMinSFL
Racer

Received 126 Likes on 94 Posts

All of those recommendations should be data-based. Tires and brake pads/rotors are replaced at a certain measurement, ask for the data to back up their recommendations or measure yourself and compare to the specs. For the alignment, is there uneven wear on any of the tires or is there an issue with tracking on center, pulling or steering feel?
The following 3 users liked this post by BMinSFL:
Coolwnc (03-07-2023), gatorfast (03-07-2023), jbx2 (03-15-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 05:22 PM
gatorfast
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by BMinSFL
All of those recommendations should be data-based. Tires and brake pads/rotors are replaced at a certain measurement, ask for the data to back up their recommendations or measure yourself and compare to the specs. For the alignment, is there uneven wear on any of the tires or is there an issue with tracking on center, pulling or steering feel?
This. Get the numbers first to confirm things are in need of replacing.
Old 03-08-2023, 07:30 AM
Dubgw
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

HIGHLY UNLIKELY based on your facts stated!!
Dont continue w your P dealers service Dept as they appear to be cut-throat…..

GO THE INDY ROUTE unless it’s a warranty-covered issue!!

I found a great Indy and u wouldn’t believe the $$ I’ve saved on actual work that WAS REQUIRED and no “ commission-based upsell attempts” from Service Advisors at dealership!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Dubgw:
MidCoastMainer (03-08-2023), Wilder (03-16-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 08:51 AM
nevil
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

I agree, don't be a slave to the dealership. BTW, what year and model do you have?
Old 03-08-2023, 08:20 PM
VT Blue
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 197 Posts

The alignment makes sense to do anytime you replace your tires, IMO. At least it's something I do as a matter of course.

Personally, I'm not a Pirelli fan based upon past experiences, and have had great luck with Michelins and Vredesteins on SUVs, a 997.2 and performance sedans. Some Continentals have worked out well for me, too.

YMMV, of course.

Last edited by VT Blue; 03-09-2023 at 08:08 AM.
Terry Adams (03-08-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 10:15 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 92 Posts

Driving style and weather conditions also affect tire and brake life.

Usage of the vehicle glass to anticipate traffic effects has a HUGE impact on brake pad life. Vehicle stability control, especially w/ high throttle in rain or snow will chew through the rear brake pads.

High levels of fun w/ cornering and throttle adversely impact tread wear.

When I'm selecting new rubber I always use the Tire Rack website to permit quick evaluation / comparison of all the options. When I've gotten tired (pun intended) of short tread life for corner grocery store runs I've selected tires based on the UTQG rating w/ excellent results.
Old 03-09-2023, 12:09 AM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

I bought mine new. Had 24 miles on it. It came from Ohio in September, so it had 20" Michelin Lattitude tires. The Renaissance Festival was going on then north of Houston. Figured it would be a great day to test all the back road curves driving up to Plantersville in my new bright red Porsche. I could NOT keep the Macan on the road in curves! My first thought was "THIS is what I paid $XXXX for????" My first Porsche? THIS? I sold the tires thinking it was a tire issue. Went with Conti 6's. All this within just a few months. They were gone in 9,000 miles. So, I went with Goodyears. This time the tech suggested an alignment. It took TWO trips to get it in alignment. It was that far out from the factory. When I left the dealership after it was finally in alignment, I've never looked back. NOW I know what driving a Porsche feels like.

If I hit a good pothole or curb a wheel (yeah, did that), I get the alignment checked. Every time I change tires, I have them (Porsche) check the alignment. To take it a step further, my dashboard always shows my tire pressure and I watch it like a hawk. Mileage-wise, I'm on my fourth set of tires in 5 years with 62K on the odometer. That's about 15,000 per set and acceptable to me.
The following 2 users liked this post by ///Bruce:
Mikey K (03-09-2023), VT Blue (03-09-2023)
Old 03-09-2023, 08:39 AM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 378 Likes on 220 Posts

What kind of wear are you experiencing?

I had to replace my front tires at 30,000 km due to cupping. Prob have to change my rears by the end of next summer.
Old 03-09-2023, 10:02 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

We don’t know what your tires look like to comment. They very well could need replacement. But the alignment, IMO, is always a good idea. Tires are an investment worth protecting. One bad pothole can change the alignment on any car. And especially a heavy suv. Even taking that same cloverleaf ramp to work day after day, after day, has its affects.

The dealers always recommend maintenance items for three reasons. #1 They make money. #2 There are a lot of idiot people out there that have no clue if they need something or not. Often they do. #3. They don’t want to get sued. If you’ve had the dealership look at your car for any reason and then you drive off the lot and slide off the road because of tires with questionable tread depth then you might try to sue them for giving you an unsafe car. People have. And have won.

I learned long ago that buying a Porsche can be the cheap part. And maintaining it could be the expensive part. 😆 I’ve got three of them in the garage. So I’m either blissfully happy or a penniless sap. Sometimes both!
The following 2 users liked this post by BradB:
Mikey K (03-09-2023), VT Blue (03-09-2023)
Old 03-09-2023, 01:27 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by OliverK68
What kind of wear are you experiencing?

I had to replace my front tires at 30,000 km due to cupping. Prob have to change my rears by the end of next summer.
If you have cupping, you have a problem. Simple... Is the 30,000km from new or since you purchased it used? When was your last alignment? Cupping on any tire warrants attention. Again, my advice is to have the entire suspension looked at PRIOR to getting an alignment. There could be some underlying issue causing this. If only an alignment is performed, the cupping could still occur after you drive off.

Also, as I stated, when it comes to ensuring the full drivability of your Porsche, let a certified Porsche mechanic look everything over. You might have an issue with something other than a faulty alignment. IMO....
Old 03-10-2023, 12:57 PM
wbferran
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have and indie mechanic. I was only at the dealership for the seat sensor recall

i spoke with a service advisor when I picked up the car. The tire issue was a caution. i.e, they’re getting there. The alignment issue was not wear, but something the dealership adds if tires might be required. I always get an alignment with new tires.

the brakes were also a caution, pads are getting worn, but just wait for the brake pad message to show up. And she said, first I had heard, it’s not necessary to do all four pads, rotors and sensors when the message appears if all four aren’t worn. But, at the very least gotta do that particular axle.

the timing chain cover does have a tiny drip. They found that the bolts stretch over time and they replace the bolts and the gasket. Porsche found they didn’t need drop the engine, just take off the bumper.

Quick Reply: Tires and alignment