Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Washer Fluid tale (am I crazy? NO!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2023, 05:38 PM
2023MacanS4B
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Washer Fluid tale (am I crazy? NO!)

Brand new Macan S. 900 miles. Sticky drips from rear window washer, similar noted at times on the sides of front windshield. Turns out upon delivery the fluid in the washer fluid tank was not the correct "solvent mixture."

Wow. my 1st Porsche and now I have to worry about washer fluid being correct and mixed right? sheesh.

Dealer fixed. Complicated because I bough at a dealer out of state and had to get them to cover it and get the 2 dealers to work it out.
Old 06-15-2023, 06:52 PM
daaa nope
Burning Brakes

Received 550 Likes on 303 Posts

Just wait until it's used up then put the regular stuff in. I swear whatever the dealers use is something wonky. Every service loaner or brand new Porsche I've had has come with some SUPER thick stuff as the washer fluid - almost like a gel. Makes a mess. I think I'd read here on RL a few years ago that if/when it's super thick it's because the dealer "mixed" it wrong?
Old 06-15-2023, 07:05 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 533 Posts

I used to put a few drops of Griot's car wash in with my water. Not any more. It doesn't mix well with the real Porsche stuff. Turns to gel and plugs up the works.
Old 06-15-2023, 09:27 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 434 Likes on 293 Posts

I know, at one time, Porsche provided two types of windshield washer fluid. I'll call them "warm weather" fluid and "cold weather" fluid. However, in my last three Porsches since 2014, I've always relied on my dealer to top off the fluid level with nary a problem. Maybe the dealer (in the Northeast USA) always used the "cold" weather fluid??
Old 06-15-2023, 09:50 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,362 Likes on 683 Posts

My Macan is still in the shop for this. They replaced the rear nozzle.
Old 06-16-2023, 10:35 AM
jjhasluck
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My 2121 did this and it drove me crazy. The dealer said they could not replicate the problem. For some unknown reason it has just stopped doing it.

I think this used to be a bigger problem. When I was researching it I saw references to faulty spray nozzles. But I never had mine replaced. Another Porsche mystery.
Old 06-16-2023, 07:05 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 92 Posts

My 2022 Macan started dribbling washer fluid onto the rear window during operation all of a sudden, each time the vehicle was infrequently used, for about a week.

Then is completely stopped, just as suddenly, knocking on wood, it hasn't resumed.

When I would wash the vehicle after operation, once the garden hose water hit the rear window fluid stains it would get VERY soap sudsy.
The following users liked this post:
Roche993 (06-18-2023)
Old 06-16-2023, 07:16 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wingless
My 2022 Macan started dribbling washer fluid onto the rear window during operation all of a sudden, each time the vehicle was infrequently used, for about a week.

Then is completely stopped, just as suddenly, knocking on wood, it hasn't resumed.

When I would wash the vehicle after operation, once the garden hose water hit the rear window fluid stains it would get VERY soap sudsy.
FWIW, my wipers and my washers are still unused on my vehicle.

All of my exterior glass is treated w/ Rain-X and I never use the vehicle's wipers.
Old 06-16-2023, 07:52 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,362 Likes on 683 Posts

All of my exterior glass is treated w/ Rain-X and I never use the vehicle's wipers.
My issue wasn't connected to wiper usage. We went three weeks with no rain, wipers weren't touched, yet the back window was covered in a river of washer dribble...
Old 06-16-2023, 07:59 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Ksdaoski
My issue wasn't connected to wiper usage. We went three weeks with no rain, wipers weren't touched, yet the back window was covered in a river of washer dribble...
Sorry for my failure to be clear.

My washer fluid dribble was also not connected to wiper usage.

Neither the wipers or washers have ever been used on my vehicle, but for a week my rear window would have a washer fluid stain after each vehicle operation.
Old 06-20-2023, 07:42 AM
Tim Cooper
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

In Uk you have to read the label very carefully to find out the strength of the fluid; some are sold to be used neat, some diluted 30% in winter and 10% in summer.

Don't rely on colour depth as the dye is degraded by light.
Old 06-21-2023, 09:19 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Interesting. I have a ‘14 Carrera and a ‘17 Macan. I’ve never had any issues with any brand fluid.

Quick Reply: Washer Fluid tale (am I crazy? NO!)