Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Porsche Is Having Second Thoughts About Replacing Its Hottest Seller With An EV

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2023, 01:32 PM
mikebrinda
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Porsche Is Having Second Thoughts About Replacing Its Hottest Seller With An EV

https://jalopnik.com/porsche-is-having-second-thoughts-about-replacing-its-h-1850594720

Popular Reply

07-02-2023, 09:12 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 999 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Russian Mafia
BTW, how’s the US metric conversion going? The deadline for that is coming right up (1996).
Stop busting our chops! We're moving to the metric system inch by inch.
Old 06-30-2023, 01:53 PM
BMinSFL
Racer

Received 126 Likes on 94 Posts

I noticed BMW has the new 7 series in both electric and gas/hybrid. I don't see why a Macan cannot be produced the same if the sales are justified for both iterations.
Old 07-01-2023, 02:26 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

We have no interest in an electric Macan. Doing away with the gas powered Macan would be a mistake. The Taycan ST is the only electric Porsche that I am interested in and that would be years from now.
Old 07-01-2023, 02:59 PM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 115 Posts

Good news, because I am hoping to replace our 2022 with a 2025 (3 year lease)
Old 07-01-2023, 04:29 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 626 Posts

They should. It's amazing how naïve European automakers appear to be about the total lack of infrastructure in the USA to support EVs. Outside of a niche market no one wants them in the USA. That will continue until we build widespread infrastructure. We need nuclear power plants and 3x as many charging stations as we currently have gas pumps. I said 5 years ago that if Porsche were smart they would be building ICE engine plants in the USA so they can keep building them when the EU no longer allows them to do so. I am not against EVs but by an large we are nowhere near ready for them in the USA. IMO another technology will come along to replace EVs before we build the infrastructure honestly that may be a reality. Meanwhile waiting lists and ADM for PHEVs is currently out of this world, to me PHEV makes much more sense in the USA for the forseeable future.

Last edited by Nickshu; 07-01-2023 at 04:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TikiLou (07-01-2023)
Old 07-01-2023, 06:49 PM
TikiLou
Rennlist Member

Received 362 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
It's amazing how naïve European automakers appear to be about the total lack of infrastructure in the USA to support EVs..
Pretty sure Europe & the UK have the same problem. They will never make the 2030 date.
Nickshu (07-02-2023)
Old 07-01-2023, 07:41 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 927 Likes on 432 Posts

Loos like Porsche is going in a different direction in their effort to be green.

Old 07-01-2023, 08:46 PM
seanhaus
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 150 Posts

I’ve always been in the mindset that Porsche should just offer the EV version of the Macan as a trim alongside ICE during this “transition” period. Then with the gen 2 of this redesign go all in.
Old 07-01-2023, 10:25 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

They should. It's amazing how naïve European automakers appear to be about the total lack of infrastructure in the USA to support EVs. Outside of a niche market no one wants them in the USA. That will continue until we build widespread infrastructure. We need nuclear power plants and 3x as many charging stations as we currently have gas pumps. I said 5 years ago that if Porsche were smart they would be building ICE engine plants in the USA so they can keep building them when the EU no longer allows them to do so. I am not against EVs but by an large we are nowhere near ready for them in the USA. IMO another technology will come along to replace EVs before we build the infrastructure honestly that may be a reality. Meanwhile waiting lists and ADM for PHEVs is currently out of this world, to me PHEV makes much more sense in the USA for the forseeable future.
The US tend for charging stations is accelerating exponentially.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...rging-network/

It is far more aggressive in Europe, that is true, but the US is not standing still.

Regardless, most driving situations do not require charging outside the home. That is, most trips are local and can easily be supported with at-home charging during nighttime hours. I agree that long trips (in excess of 300 miles) can be challenging, but how many times do you really do that? EVs make more sense for day-to-day driving and that is probably one reason people buy them.

Probably the biggest game-changer for EVs will be solid-state batteries, if/when that technology becomes available, as it will potentially double the energy density of the battery without the need for critical cooling systems.

Every paradigm change for Porsche has been historically met with skepticism and reluctance. This will gradually pass and the issues forgotten.
Old 07-01-2023, 10:45 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Here’s an engineer from Croatia that sums up the current reality of EVs

The following 2 users liked this post by Fred R. C4S:
Marv (07-02-2023), Nickshu (07-02-2023)
Old 07-02-2023, 08:33 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fred R. C4S
Great video. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-02-2023, 10:13 AM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 212 Posts

In the US SUVs are preferred over cars. I would expect an Electric Macan to be very popular but agree, eliminating the ICE option will have some shoppers looking elsewhere. Taycan demand might be impacted too since the Macan is more practical. It’s a marketing experiment.
Old 07-02-2023, 10:39 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,243 Likes on 573 Posts

I agree with this 100% Nickshu. And I believe Toyota bowed out of the EV race and is focusing now on what, hydrogen?

And not that I'm against EV tech as I live in the PNW where there is bountyful cheap hydro-electric power. The Taycan is a super cool ride. But for the rest of the continent? It makes no sense.
Nickshu (07-02-2023)
Old 07-02-2023, 10:43 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,243 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by seanhaus
I’ve always been in the mindset that Porsche should just offer the EV version of the Macan as a trim alongside ICE during this “transition” period. Then with the gen 2 of this redesign go all in.
But why not Hybrid?
Old 07-02-2023, 10:58 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,061 Posts

hybrids are the worst of BOTh worlds. Poor EV performance, complication of gas+electric. Pick one. Or make both. No hybrids. Unless they put the 918 power plant in it.

Lot of FUD in this thread though.... but it's probably still too soon to do away with all gas as an option for the macan.
The following 3 users liked this post by Spyerx:
chassis (07-02-2023), justabout (07-02-2023), Racer20 (07-15-2023)

Quick Reply: Porsche Is Having Second Thoughts About Replacing Its Hottest Seller With An EV