Macan 2014-Current

PPF on headlights

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2023, 10:12 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 99 Posts
Default PPF on headlights

I am having PPF installed on a new 2022 GTS (front half of the car) and the detailing shop doing the work just called me to warn me about a Porsche release that stated if PPF is put on the LED headlights, it voids any warranty on these very expensive parts. Since I paid extra for the "Term" protection which includes the headlights, I was concerned and instructed the shop not to apply the PPF to the headlights.

I called my local dealership to confirm this policy and they had never heard of it, but instructed me to call Porsche directly (1-800-PORSCHE), which I did. The CS rep at Porsche confirmed this was correct, stating that the film application is "aftermarket" and any aftermarket modification voids the warranty. I think this is stretching the definition of an aftermarket modification, but I do not want to take any chances if down the road the warranty on those expesive LED lights is declined simply due to a PPF film. Makes you wonder if Porsche would decline warranty coverage on paint deffects if you have PPF or ceramic coatings applied to your paint.

Anyway FYI for those considering PPF.
Old 08-31-2023, 10:35 PM
mikebrinda
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 44 Posts

I have 2022 Macan GTS with film on headlights. How that film would void any part of a warranty I have no idea. Just had first service at dealer. Nothing was mentioned.
Old 08-31-2023, 10:49 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikebrinda
I have 2022 Macan GTS with film on headlights. How that film would void any part of a warranty I have no idea. Just had first service at dealer. Nothing was mentioned.
The rationale I heard was the film can reduce cooling of the high powered LEDs. I think this is a load of bull, but I would hate to have one of these fail (for another reason), and have the warranty declined just because a film was applied. There would be no mention of the issue by the dealer probably because they are unaware of the policy (1), and they probably don't even know you have a film on the lights (2).
Old 09-01-2023, 12:44 AM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 538 Likes on 318 Posts

I've got Xpel on mine, 2 and a half years, zero issues...has saved one good rock chip though that damaged the film but not the headlight.
Old 09-01-2023, 01:23 AM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 855 Likes on 419 Posts

I've had film applied on three sets of recent P headlights and no issues. On the Macan, at first I decided not to because the risk of PPF flaws is higher than for the rest of the car and it is difficult to impossible to remove. But the reality is headlight chips gather pretty fast, at least where I live. With PPF I've had barely a visible nick while it's normal for those around here left unprotected to gather a fair amount of dings in a short time. For me, balancing everything out, I'd rather have it.
Old 09-01-2023, 02:05 AM
Spyder Bite
Pro

Received 712 Likes on 250 Posts

Definitely PPF on mine. I am more worried about damage from rocks and road debris.
The following users liked this post:
VT Blue (09-04-2023)
Old 09-01-2023, 08:52 AM
jbx2
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Spoiler

Old 09-01-2023, 10:45 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 310 Likes on 185 Posts

I had PPF on my '15 Macan S and had one dynamic (directional) headlight failure (priced at $3200) replaced free under warranty. The dealership replaced the film on it too.
There was some talk on the list at one time about PPF causing "delimitation" but I never encountered that.
Old 09-01-2023, 11:24 AM
ram_g
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 69 Posts

No PPF on the Macan, but I’m in the process of having PPF replaced on my 2017 911 Turbo S. Two very reputable shops in Houston (top rated by the local PCA chapter) both independently told me that they wouldn’t install PPF on the headlights because newer Porsches had a “coating” on their headlights that could fail if PPF was installed. Both stated that if I ever had the headlights refinished (either sanded/polished or the lenses replaced) then they could install PPF.

I did think it was strange, as I have PPF on the headlights of my 2003 911 Turbo, and with 90k+ miles they look as good as new.
Old 09-01-2023, 12:58 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 887 Likes on 530 Posts

Did PPF on my 911TT 14 years ago. Didn't stop a debris from cracking the $900 headlight, lens not sold separately. Miss my 993, at $75 for a lens only replacement.

So I just did ceramic on the Macan. Its headlights sit higher, but I still got a cracked WS a year ago.
Old 09-01-2023, 04:31 PM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Headlight PPF

FWIW, I bit the bullet and bought/installed (myself!) the Xpel kit, delamination be damned. Take your time, spray a lot of mixture, start from the bottom upwards and squeegee out left and right upward — May have to “encourage”/stretch the film a bit and if small air bubbles, they evaporated in a couple days in the sun.
boyce89976 (09-02-2023)
Old 09-01-2023, 05:01 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 934 Likes on 623 Posts

I always PPF my Porsche headlights. Porsche says not to b/c the UV film on them can come off when you remove the PPF which ruins the headlights. If you don't PPF you get rock chips all over the headlights, which also ruins the headlights. So you are screwed either way. I choose the PPF route. Others disagree.
VT Blue (09-04-2023)
Old 09-01-2023, 05:41 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nickshu
I always PPF my Porsche headlights. Porsche says not to b/c the UV film on them can come off when you remove the PPF which ruins the headlights. If you don't PPF you get rock chips all over the headlights, which also ruins the headlights. So you are screwed either way. I choose the PPF route. Others disagree.
The porsche dealer tells me that rock chip damage to the headlights is covered under the "Term" policy so it looks like it is no PPF for me, as I don't want to risk them denying a warranty claim that I would have covered just because I have a film applied to them. The question then becomes how much damage can you have before they make good on the claim.
Old 09-02-2023, 04:54 PM
boyce89976
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Van Larson
FWIW, I bit the bullet and bought/installed (myself!) the Xpel kit, delamination be damned. Take your time, spray a lot of mixture, start from the bottom upwards and squeegee out left and right upward — May have to “encourage”/stretch the film a bit and if small air bubbles, they evaporated in a couple days in the sun.
What mixture did you use?
Old 09-03-2023, 10:51 AM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Slip solution

Per recs, I used a drop or 2 of Johnson’s baby shampoo in a 16oz mist sprayer with distilled water. Spray it everywhere on everything both sides and wear white vinyl surgical gloves to avoid the errant fingerprint.

Quick Reply: PPF on headlights