Macan 2014-Current

Steering wheel swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2023, 06:25 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Steering wheel swap

One thing I am not crazy about with my 22 GTS is the stock steering wheel. It is black leather (OK) but a lot thinner (not as beefy) than the GT version I had in my 991.2. Also had the CF version in the 991.2 which I also miss in the Macan GTS which came with CF trim. Is there a Porsche made plug and play steering wheel that is the thicker GT version with CF for the GTS? I found this part number 95B-419-091-ED-A34 (expresso leather, non heated, Sport Chrono, carbon) at a vendor's site but I have no idea what the thickness of this wheel is compared to OEM. Suncoast has a "GT" version in black leather only (no CF) https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/sku95bg3rtw.html

My stock wheel is unheated with Sport Chrono.
Will other 911 wheels fit the Macan? There is a vendor here that seems to claim they will, but it looks like you have to strip the wheel of all modules and add the Macan units to the wheel. When I did my 991.2, the replacement wheel came from suncoast with all the modules installed (even the paddle shifters) so all that had to swapped over was the airbag. Had the dealer do the swap as they had to code the new wheel to the car and they dealt with the airbag (I prefer not to mess with those).

Old 11-01-2023, 11:10 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

I think you can pretty much replace it with any 992 steering wheel, you have a big selection there. As far as I know, if you select the steering wheel with the same feature (unheated with sport chrono), there is no coding needed. It is plug and play. Swapping the steering wheel is one of the easiest things as long as you follow few basic principles but I understand if you want to let your dealership do that. I swapped the steering wheel of my 981 and had my indy do that. He did it in less than 10 minutes with a phone on his ear while he was talking to anther client about his car. It was super simple: He pushed the pin under the steering wheel assembly unit. The airbag unit came out. He carefully removed the airbag and disconnected it. He unscrewed the central bolt of the steering wheel and disconnected all the connectors. He put the new steering wheel in the correct alignment in place, torqued it with a torque wrench and connected the connectors back on. Connected the airbag and pushed it back in place and that was it. He charged me 50 bucks for it. Since yours is still under warranty, I would have the dealership do it but make sure to negotiate a good price because it really takes less than 10 minutes. I am sure they will try to charge you 2-3 hours labor for it. Good luck!
Old 11-03-2023, 06:00 AM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Spoke with the folks at Suncoast and got a bit more clarification. They did confirm that folks have reported using 992 wheels, but these are not official Porsche replacement recomendations in the Macan. There are official Porsche Macan wheels listed in both black leather and CF, but they may not be "GT" thickness and are all but unobtanium to actually get delivered from Porsche. There are aftermarket suppliers who will supply a stripped down 992 wheel but they pretty much require DIY to move your exsisting control modules from the current wheel to the new wheel, and may still require the new assembly to be coded. My dealer was hesitant to do the module swap but would install a plug/play replacement (for a hefty $650). So the Suncoast version seems to be the most cost effective, and I can live without CF if necessary (and I get the thicker wheel). Suncoast also recommended dealer installation and the use of official Macan replacement to avoid any warranty issue in the future.
Old 11-05-2023, 12:24 PM
ProtechpartsEU
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts

yes you can move all components from standart to GT version,just make sure its same generation pre or last generation.
Old 11-13-2023, 07:07 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Well, I got my new GT wheel from Suncoast and guess what, it came with carbon fiber trim! Outstanding as my Macan GTS was equipped with CF interior trim. Now this is not CF on the wheel itself, but the trim bits around the spokes of the wheel. Very pleasantly surprised and quite unexpected.
Old 11-17-2023, 05:53 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by DHL
Well, I got my new GT wheel from Suncoast and guess what, it came with carbon fiber trim! Outstanding as my Macan GTS was equipped with CF interior trim. Now this is not CF on the wheel itself, but the trim bits around the spokes of the wheel. Very pleasantly surprised and quite unexpected.
Good news! What GT wheel did you buy. On my 2022 GTS I'm looking to swap out my leather GT wheel for a CF wheel. Porsche used to offer CF wheel (I had one on my 2018 GTS) but it's not in Suncoast's choices (if you have sport chronology).
Old 11-17-2023, 10:44 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Good news! What GT wheel did you buy. On my 2022 GTS I'm looking to swap out my leather GT wheel for a CF wheel. Porsche used to offer CF wheel (I had one on my 2018 GTS) but it's not in Suncoast's choices (if you have sport chronology).
I bought the GT wheel sold by Suncoast (https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/sku95bg3rtw.html). Sounds like you already have this wheel. I had the CF version on my Carrera 991.2 (also at Suncoast) but this is not available for the Macan as you state. You can get one at DBCarbon if you want to pay up.
This week I had the Suncoast wheel installed in the car by my local dealer. Yeah, I got hosed on the install but I did not want any chance of compromising nearly 20K of warranties with a DIY. The car actually shifts a bit better after the install because the dealer also did some software updates so I am pretty happy with the swap.
Old 12-28-2023, 09:11 PM
trancenation
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DHL
I bought the GT wheel sold by Suncoast (https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/sku95bg3rtw.html). Sounds like you already have this wheel. I had the CF version on my Carrera 991.2 (also at Suncoast) but this is not available for the Macan as you state. You can get one at DBCarbon if you want to pay up.
This week I had the Suncoast wheel installed in the car by my local dealer. Yeah, I got hosed on the install but I did not want any chance of compromising nearly 20K of warranties with a DIY. The car actually shifts a bit better after the install because the dealer also did some software updates so I am pretty happy with the swap.
How long did it take for suncoast to send you the wheel? Looks like it might be shipping from Germany?
Old 12-28-2023, 09:16 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trancenation
How long did it take for suncoast to send you the wheel? Looks like it might be shipping from Germany?
They had mine in stock here in the US. Took them about a week to ship. But check with them to be sure.
Old 12-29-2023, 03:23 AM
BMinSFL
Racer

Received 126 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by DHL
What did your dealer charge for the installation and are you saying that you bought a warranty for $20k and someone told you that a steering wheel swap will void it?
Old 12-30-2023, 12:49 AM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BMinSFL
What did your dealer charge for the installation and are you saying that you bought a warranty for $20k and someone told you that a steering wheel swap will void it?
Dealer cost was about $500 to install. The new wheel has to have some coding done to make it functional to the car. I don't have a scanner that will work in a 2022 Porsche and I did want to risk a DIY that would potentially void any warranties.
Old 01-05-2024, 06:51 PM
ProtechpartsEU
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts

we can assemble steering wheels now to fit directly on car no coding etc.You can assemble non gt parts to a gt wheel core no problem and we check by VIN to make sure all the same.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel swap