Old 11-13-2023, 12:13 PM
ProtechpartsEU
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Steering wheel and weissach paddles UPGRADE GUIDE

Hello.

I made some guides to help people or technicians disassemble the steering wheels on the latest generation and upgrade either the Weissach magnetic paddles or the carbon fiber trim or move all the components to a new core.This guides will make it easy for anyone from DIY to dealers or tehnicians to they are know exactly what they doing

1. To Upgrade to a Carbon Fiber Trim Cover

1. Take steering wheel off the car (plenty of guides on Youtube).
2. Take all the 5 screws off from the backside of the steering wheel, 2 on the paddles, 3 on the plastic cover.
3. Use a plastic tool and remove the back plastic cover; they come clipped with the front cover, so use the plastic tool between them and at corners.
4. Remove the 4 bigger screws holding the front cover frame.
5. Unscrew the 2 screws holding the chrono drive button; only unscrew a bit until it becomes loose but don't remove, just so the cover frame can be removed.
6. Push the front cover frame from the backside with your fingers until it's removed.
7. Install the new carbon cover frame and install back in reverse steps 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.
8. Done

JOB TIME ESTIMATE DIY: 35min

2. To Upgrade to a New Steering Wheel Core. Example: Race-Tex Core + Carbon Fiber Trim Upgrade

1. Take the steering wheel off the car (plenty of guides on Youtube).
2. Take all the 5 screws off from the backside of the steering wheel, 2 on the paddles, 3 on the plastic cover.
3. Use a plastic tool and remove the back plastic cover; they come clipped with the front cover, so use the plastic tool between them and at corners.
4. Remove the 4 bigger screws holding the front cover frame.
5. Remove the 2 screws holding the chrono drive button.
6. Push the front cover frame from the backside with your fingers until it's removed.
7. Remove control buttons' small screws from the backside.
8. Remove the small back screw on the backside of the steering wheel that is holding the control unit module.
9. Remove the 4 big screws from the metal contact plate, unplug the little horn wire from it and take the plate out.
10. Remove the small U metal shape from the 4 columns.
11. Remove the 4 screws from the 2 metal brackets that are holding the controls/buttons.
12. Unplug the controls/buttons from the brackets, remove the brackets from the steering wheel.
13. Unplug the control unit from the center of the steering wheel.
14. Take the complete electric kit out now, buttons+control unit+harness+chrono buttons, NO NEED to unplug any wires etc., just take it as it is and put it on the table.
15. Now the steering wheel is empty but we still have to move the airbag 4 plastic parts. For this, please mark a stripe with a colored marker at 12 o'clock on every one of the four plastic brackets. I guess this is the trickiest part of the job. Use a tubular key or just a good pair of pliers to hold the black plastic cover in place, and on the backside of the steering wheel, you will see they are held in with torx screws. ATTENTION: screw to the RIGHT side to unscrew them. ATTENTION: Remove 1 by 1 and install on the new steering wheel so it's easier and faster so we don't lose or forget positions.
16. Now you need to install the black plastic brackets to the new steering wheel. For this, we will hold them as they were on the old steering wheel, and we will pay attention to the 12 o'clock marker we painted on them and install them on the same exact spots they were before and all with the marker in the same position.
17. Now here's a TIP to not waste any time. Take the metal contact plate we took out at step 9 and test it on the black plastic brackets. It has to slide up and down on them. Tweak them left or right if needed and then screw them tight.
18. Move the fabrics that are glued to the old steering wheel to the new one. You will find many all over the steering wheel; those help the cover frames clip one to another. Not really important but best to move those also.
19. Now it's all done, and you can reverse install 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.
20. Job done.

JOB TIME ESTIMATE DIY: 50-70min

3. To Upgrade the Paddle Shifters to WEISSACH Magnetic Paddles

1. Take steering wheel off the car (plenty of guides on Youtube).
2. Remove the 2 screws holding the paddle shifters from the backside of the steering wheel.
3. Remove paddle shifters connectors.
4. Before installing the new Weissach magnetic paddles MAKE SURE you have the rubber o-rings installed on them; if not, just move them from the old paddles. These are important as they don't permit the paddles to wobble and distort the click sound.
5. Plug the connectors back to the paddles; wire harness may seem short but they fit ok. Install paddles on both sides.
6. Screw back the screws on the paddles tight.
7. Install back on the car.
8. Job Done.

Badges on the frames can be replaced also as the center part of the cover frames.Use a small dremel or tool to grind the plastic solders and glue back in with a good fast 2-part glue.

A video guide i found to replace the paddles

JOB TIME ESTIMATE DIY: 20min
```
Attached Images    
The following users liked this post:
c17r15 (01-27-2024)
Old 11-13-2023, 04:37 PM
GP20
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Would the Weissach paddle shifters work with the non-GT steering wheel?
Old 11-13-2023, 04:49 PM
ProtechpartsEU
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by GP20
Yes.They work on all 992 and also on
  • 971.2 Panamera 2021-Up
  • Macan 2024+
  • Cayenne 2024+

I attached photos so you can see.

Old 11-13-2023, 04:52 PM
ProtechpartsEU
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by GP20

also people with non-gt steering wheels can upgrade to a full GT steering wheel using core+ GT frame and use all the conponents from the non gt steering wheel.
Old 11-13-2023, 09:43 PM
Dsandler
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

These wont work on a 2020 gts with the gt steering wheel?
Old 11-14-2023, 12:06 AM
ProtechpartsEU
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Dsandler
These wont work on a 2020 gts with the gt steering wheel?

they work on all as long as they have latest gen steering wheel,doesnt matter what version of it
Old 11-28-2023, 06:01 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

2022 Macan GTS with Sport Chrono - do you have a replacement CF/leather steering wheel? When I look at what Porsche offers they say "no" for Macan with Sport Chrono. Thanks.
Old 11-28-2023, 11:54 PM
ProtechpartsEU
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
2022 Macan GTS with Sport Chrono - do you have a replacement CF/leather steering wheel? When I look at what Porsche offers they say "no" for Macan with Sport Chrono. Thanks.
Email us with car info and VIN and photo and we can assemble what you need.
​​​​​​​
Old 12-02-2023, 11:54 AM
Dsandler
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ProtechpartsEU
DISCOUNT CODE:SANTARENNLIST,code only works for weissach paddles

DISCOUNT CODE:RENNLISTUSER,works on all items in shop

Get steering wheels in race-tex with/wihtout carbon frame as low as 1300eur plug and play and Weissach magnetic paddles at 749eur only.Promotion untill the end of the year.
to be clear, will these work on 2020 macan gts with the GT steering wheel. I’ve seen them on an 991.2 which is the same wheel
Old 12-02-2023, 12:02 PM
ProtechpartsEU
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

to be clear, will these work on 2020 macan gts with the GT steering wheel. I’ve seen them on an 991.2 which is the same wheel
must be this generation of steering wheel,doesnt matter on what car
Attached Images  
Old 12-02-2023, 06:06 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

additional question: do you know how to get the red drive mode button? i thought it came on some of the steering wheels, after reviewing your site, i think it is a product of the vehicle trim.
Old 12-02-2023, 06:10 PM
ProtechpartsEU
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
additional question: do you know how to get the red drive mode button? i thought it came on some of the steering wheels, after reviewing your site, i think it is a product of the vehicle trim.
will have some of those in the future also.Product code should be similar and only a trim selection option,only on GT3 they come with special code.As for magnetic paddles they should work fine on your steering wheel.For upgrades you can take a full race-tex core in silver when you want one and move all components from old steering wheel.
Old 12-03-2023, 06:26 AM
BMinSFL
Racer

Received 126 Likes on 94 Posts

No, they will not work. Do you have a photo of the 991.2 combination? Is it possible it was the JQ Werks Madtrace setup with the Weissach -style paddles?

I have the same wheel and if you are looking for some sort of paddle upgrade that is easy, I would recommend the Raceseng extensions. I am usually not a fan of aftermarket stuff but the black versions tie in the surprisingly well with the GT wheel.
​​​

Last edited by BMinSFL; 12-03-2023 at 06:42 AM.
Old 12-03-2023, 06:37 AM
ProtechpartsEU
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by BMinSFL
No, they will not work. Do you have a photo of the 991.2 combination?

I have the same wheel and if you are looking for some sort of paddle upgrade that is easy, I would recommend the Raceseng extensions. I am usually not a fan of aftermarket stuff but the black versions tie in the surprisingly well with the GT wheel.
​​​

for 991.2 and 991 we got genuine carbon fiber paddles even the ones from spyder,also black matte ones
Old 12-23-2023, 03:58 PM
TestnDoc
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Can you add heated steering wheel as well? Thanks

Quick Reply: Steering wheel and weissach paddles UPGRADE GUIDE