Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Would a Macan for a daily driver make a weekend sports car feel less special?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2023, 11:35 AM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 306 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by TRSCobra
Also, reports of the "PDK" transmission not liking stop and go traffic (which I spend a good hour in per day), nor having a good supply of transmission repair parts available, is leading me towards the ZF 8 speed equipped Cayenne.
There's a lot of bull$#!+ on the Internet, and that would be an example. The PDK is perfect for stop-and-go traffic unless there is something wrong with it. If/when that happens, it will almost certainly be one of a couple of known issues for which aftermarket parts have already been (and continue to be) developed.

Nothing wrong with the Cayenne if it fits your needs better, but don't buy it for this reason.
Old 12-09-2023, 12:26 PM
NJR1986
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I dont know, I tend to lean the other way. I have a '19 Macan BASE (used to have a 07 infiniti FX35 as daily) and a 14 Cayman. The ride characteristics (nothing compares to a sports CAR) are nowhere near the same. However, both are special cars, where my previous FX35, wasn't nearly as special. So, for me, the Cayman isn't as drastic of a change on the special scale. It does diminish the excitement for the Cayman, but that says more about the Macan as it's a blast to drive. I even find myself sometimes choosing the Macan over the Cayman. I did, however, just get the Macan a few months ago, and it is December for what it's worth. This all may change come Spring and the novelty of the "new" Macan wears off.
Old 12-09-2023, 01:13 PM
Tpup
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 132 Posts

I have a 9 year old Macan S, a GT3 and a 991.2 4S. Love the Macan and drive it daily. Still love the other cars.

Old 12-11-2023, 08:27 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

I have 23 Macan S and have owned 2 981 Boxsters before that. While the Macan is a great car and drives like a "real" Porsche, the mid engine 981 was a completely different animal. I always called my 981 porsches the perfection of the automobile. I would always choose a 981/718(6 cylinder) over any other car on the planet. I still regret selling my 981 porsches and to answer your question: Your mid engine Porsche will remain a very special car, no matter what other car you driver as your daily. The only thing I don't like about any Porsche as daily driver is that I can not enjoy it because I am super paranoid that something happens to the car. I always parked my Macan as far away from other cars as I could and was inspecting it after each ride. That is also the reason I gave it to my wife and I drive her car now. I don't care as much with what she does with/to the car and am more relaxed. Whenever I want to enjoy the car I take it for a ride and with that I think it is a good compromise. That was for me a lesson to never buy Porsche again as daily driver, but it is just me. (No, that is not just a car, it is a Porsche.....)
Old 12-12-2023, 01:59 PM
chong0
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 89 Posts

You may want to choose an S over the T model- I found the 4 cylinder to be capable, but felt like it was always working hard.

I do about 18k/year and thoroughly enjoy the Macan (GTS). It's a great daily. That being said, the macan does not take an ounce of happiness away from getting into a 911 (or GT4 in your case).

My only gripe is that the tank is small and range at best is 360 miles. A cayenne has way more range, but that's a different topic

Last edited by chong0; 12-12-2023 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-12-2023, 03:29 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by TRSCobra
I currently have a 2021 F150 for a daily, but needs changed and I no longer really NEED a fullsize truck. I love the thing, it gets 22mpg and is super comfortable for my long highway commutes. So I started looking at the Macan and Cayenne for the next commuter. I like the upright seating position of trucks and SUVs, and would need a small trailer to replace the pickup bed for truck duties, so cars are out of the equation.

I also have a 718 GT4 that I take out on the weekends, as well as autocross and some HPDE. My question is if I got a Porsche SUV, would that take some of the "special occasion" feel away from the GT4?

The F150 is a completely different driving experience, so jumping in the Cayman is a welcome change the few times a month I take it out. I just don't want to ruin that special feeling.
Yes and no. I'm on my second Macan S and it is honestly my favorite year-round daily driver (I'm in Canada and need to deal with deep snow at times, so a 911 doesn't fit my winter needs). It feels "special", drives great, can handle the groceries etc. and puts a smile on my face when I get into it. I always have a weekend fun toy or two and that still makes sense to me even with the Macan. However, if my weekend car wasn't something unique like a VERY fast car or a classic, I'm not sure I would own it with the Macan S in the garage. For example, I love 992's, but I just can't justify a base Carrera for 6 months of the year as a fun car. There just isn't enough "special" there for me. Now, if I could somehow have a base Carrera as my daily I would make the change from the Macan in heartbeat, but we have too much snow and salt for me to do that. Bottom line, if you don't need a pick-up, dump it and get at least a Macan S!
Old 12-13-2023, 05:09 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

I drive a 23 Macan GTS as my daily - and was driving a GMC AT4 6.2L 10 speed before as my daily - I decided I could no longer get by with 1/2 ton truck, as my trailer was 10,500 lbs. So I moved on to a F-350 Tremor 6.7L diesel to tow heavy (now have a 16.5k trailer) and a dedicated daily driver - instead of trying to do a 2 for 1 with the AT4 truck. I have a few weekend sports cars as well and enjoy going from Macan to Truck to sports car - pending the drive and needs - I don't believe it will diminish your GT4 experience at all, but it will make you everyday commute that much better.

I driver 120 miles round trip on commute days (a few days a week), mostly freeway (limited traffic) and get about 20 mpg in my GTS overall, moving along. I had an S for 7 months while I wanted for my GTS order to arrive and got similar mileage - so at 22 you are doing pretty good in your F-150 - and my guess is you are easier on the go pedal than I am - so your mileage may be much better.

No downside to having a Macan as a daily driver. GLWD

Last edited by supercup; 12-24-2023 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-20-2023, 02:01 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 272 Posts

We love our Macan. We love our 993's. We love our F150. A Macan is not an F150. There is no substitute for a truck. OTOH, if you want a Macan (or a Cayenne), get one.
Old 12-20-2023, 03:05 PM
offagain
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Have a Macan S and did have a Boxster for a while at the same time. Totally different and other than a few little foibles, unique in their own right. Unfortunately the Boxster has gone, but it will get replaced at some point.

The Macan is a great car and can do a lot of things well (same can be said of the Cayenne too). If you want a quiet cruiser for a long distance drive? Yep, it can do that. Want something that can haul a reasonable load? Yep, can do that too. Want to have a little fun on a twisty road? Yep. Does it offer the same driving dynamics as a Boxster, Cayman or 911? Absolutely not. But the Macan does offer a lot in a relatively compact package.
Old 12-20-2023, 03:18 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 258 Posts

Just now trading my wife's 2020 C43 for a new, albeit slightly slower, Macan GTS. It will join the daily F150 Plat S-crew and my fun car 992 Turbo S.

Mercedes really screwed their pooch by replacing the best selling C series twin turbo V6 and V8s with a punny 4cyl + hybrid power....

Looking forward to the driving experience this Macan has to offer! While it can never replace the 992 Turbo S experience, it should complement the garage nicely.
Old 12-23-2023, 03:33 AM
thekarpo
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ditched a 2021 F150 Tremor for a new 2022 Macan S - my other car is a 991.1 C2 - I find myself taking the Macan at night when I don't want to attract unneeded attention, it's no 911..

As an economics major alum at Syracuse - I find it a perfect compliment to a 911, not a substitute.

Last edited by thekarpo; 12-23-2023 at 03:44 AM.
Old 12-24-2023, 06:27 PM
waholdenky
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive a Macan and a Carrera 4S. Macan is the perfect daily and certainly does not take the place of the 911.
Old 12-24-2023, 06:54 PM
WillyDaP
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 149 Posts

We have 20 Macan S and it is fun to drive fast. The 24 Cayman GTS we have is fun to drive super fast! The Macan is kind of like a great appetizer that tickles the tastebuds and prepares them for a delicious entree!!
Old 12-24-2023, 07:02 PM
TRSCobra
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 74 Posts

Sounds like my question has been answered!

I'm still considering the Macan and the Cayenne, likely in base/S trim on the Macan or base/e hybrid on the Cayenne. As long as they have adaptive cruise and lane centering features like my F150. Still unsure how much I like the idea of needing a small utility trailer for truck duties, though.

Now if Porsche only made a pickup around the size of a Rivian I'd buy the damn thing in a heartbeat!
Old 12-25-2023, 12:01 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,243 Likes on 573 Posts

For what it's worth, I've gone back now and picked up Porsches I previpously owned and sold - namely a 2018 Macan GTS and a 2011 987.2 Spyder. Both are very capable Porsches, each very different from the other. While the Macan GTS is a sporty daily driver, and perfect for the COSTCO runs and its' straight and odd twisty Florida roads, with its physical heft to carry it cannot compete with the lithe Spyder once you get up in some canyons and twisties. The Spyder is magical for what it does.

So I'm super happy where I'm at, other than the Macan and the Spyder are in different parts of the county. And with that being said, my next car to add to the Florida home is either a 2009 TT cab or some A/C 993 iteration. Decisions, decisions...

Last edited by Zeus993; 12-26-2023 at 12:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Would a Macan for a daily driver make a weekend sports car feel less special?