Macan 2014-Current

Starting 2024 no more ICE Macan in EU

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2023, 08:26 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts
Default Starting 2024 no more ICE Macan in EU

Fresh from Germany's Nr. 1 Newspaper Bild: Since it is too complicated to comply with the EU laws, Porsche will stop producing the ICE Macan for the EU market. It seems outside of the EU we are fine. Lets wait and see. See below the german version of the news. And now we have it also in English

https://www.bild.de/auto/auto-news/a...3708.bild.html

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/...es/ar-AA1lvShG

Last edited by john981; 12-14-2023 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-14-2023, 10:41 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Originally Posted by john981
Fresh from Germany's Nr. 1 Newspaper Bild: Since it is too complicated to comply with the EU laws, Porsche will stop producing the ICE Macan for the EU market. It seems outside of the EU we are fine. Lets wait and see. See below the german version of the news. And now we have it also in English

https://www.bild.de/auto/auto-news/a...3708.bild.html

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/...es/ar-AA1lvShG
And Germany's Newspaper Bild's headline in December 2024...

"Porsche Macan ICE engine returns to market in 2025 - brought back by buyer demand / apathy for the EV model..."

The following 2 users liked this post by Ironman88:
Nickshu (12-15-2023), Terry Adams (01-31-2024)
Old 12-15-2023, 10:15 AM
sunspot2013
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 52 Posts

I wonder if Porsche will divert more production capacity to EU markets in advance of the cut-off date of 2024, which would of course imply fewer US allocations...
Old 01-30-2024, 07:34 PM
roule
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sunspot2013
I wonder if Porsche will divert more production capacity to EU markets in advance of the cut-off date of 2024, which would of course imply fewer US allocations...
Porsche has been trying to keep their options open. Leipzig assembly plant was expanded for the EV with a €600 million investment, so I assume no significant ICE Macan production capacity was lost.

Latest reports indicate that Porsche will offer the Macan EV to the Euro market, and after the cutoff of ICE Macan sales to the EU, that would leave ICE Macan production with increased capacity to serve the rest of the world. It makes sense to me that Porsche would exploit that capacity to sell more units.

Then again, it is also very likely that Audi has already planned to absorb the worldwide cute ute buyers seeking a luxury ride with an ICE or hybrid powertrain. There's no guarantee that the ICE Macan will survive past this generation if the Q5 models meet sales targets. We will have to look for spy shots around Nurburgring about a year from now.

Bloomberg indicated this week that they think Porsche is pivoting toward China for future growth. I think that's only one element of the strategy --- and perhaps it's incompatible with Porsche's desire to go further upmarket as the Macan EV pricing indicates. The high pricing strategy may be a bad gamble. Chinese buyers are likely more price conscious, and EVs are not necessarily the choice of emerging markets. The newly affluent Chinese will still have to buy whatever fuel Dear Chairman tells them. To such a large geographic country, it's unrealistic to think Xi will cut off gasoline, as his obvious positions on ecology and Russian aggression haven't prompted him to think more wisely/long-term.

Porsche executives have publicly dropped some not-so-subtle hints that they "expect" the EU to delay its EV implementation. No doubt there is some serious lobbying going on. But if the EU sticks to emissions restrictions and EV charging plans as announced, then my fear would be that Porsche could choose eventually to open a manufacturing site for future ICE cars outside of Europe, and convert its Euro factories to make only EVs for the home market. In distributing a global footprint, most companies lose some quality, it's almost inevitable as communication lines cross time zones, languages, and cultures. Whether VW knows it or not, their struggle to maintain top quality in their Mexican vehicles for the NA market has been a major factor in killing the VW brand on this side of the Atlantic. Let's hope Porsche realizes that their quality reputation is not guaranteed, it has to be earned every day.

It would be very nice if Porsche would announce its intentions for the current ICE Macan. Very soon they will know what the world thinks of the latest ugly/expensive EV. It will have massive appeal to its target affluent urban customers but it won't make as much profit as the Macan ICE models have; they've priced themselves out of the mainstream worldwide. I suspect that Porsche will find the base 2.0 engine ICE is the only rational option to be their dominant money maker going forward in most markets. To me that means they will have to continue current model production for another ~2 years while developing the next generation ICE Macan. I would love to see a couple nice swan song specialty Macan models, especially a Club Sport version with significant mass reduction and all the handling goodies. Porsche relies on base ICE Macan models in the BRIC countries, and Americans are going to buy what they're going to buy. The VW Group doesn't really care if the badge on the front is Audi or Porsche, but we all hope a next generation Macan could be lighter, more efficient, cleaner design and no more expensive than the current model. More choices are better.
The following 3 users liked this post by roule:
dml (01-31-2024), Mike981S (01-31-2024), Russian Mafia (02-01-2024)
Old 01-30-2024, 07:51 PM
roule
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

One more thought: the 2.0 engine ought to be able to easily generate 320 hp without any durability issues. An enhanced Macan T for 2025 would be most welcome.
The following users liked this post:
Mike981S (01-31-2024)
Old 01-31-2024, 12:29 PM
FavOutLaw
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Germans and only EV? Laughable. They would sell out of ICE but the adaptation of only ICE - not in the near future...nor the distant one.
Old 01-31-2024, 12:50 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 533 Posts

Ready, fire, aim.
Zero farks given as to which foot the Germans and EU wish to shoot themselves.
These are the same Germans who decommissioned their only six nuke plants, saying unicorn farts would take up the slack.
No wonder the US has become a major exporter of LNG.
The EU has the power of the mandate, but not the market.
The following users liked this post:
Russian Mafia (02-01-2024)
Old 02-01-2024, 11:17 AM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 855 Likes on 419 Posts

If you add it all up, government intervention, market forces, mechanical limitations, economic realities, etc., it seems pretty clear either Porsche continues as an ICE manufacturer or we're witnessing their swan song.
Old 02-01-2024, 11:43 AM
sunspot2013
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by roule
Porsche has been trying to keep their options open. Leipzig assembly plant was expanded for the EV with a €600 million investment, so I assume no significant ICE Macan production capacity was lost.

Latest reports indicate that Porsche will offer the Macan EV to the Euro market, and after the cutoff of ICE Macan sales to the EU, that would leave ICE Macan production with increased capacity to serve the rest of the world. It makes sense to me that Porsche would exploit that capacity to sell more units.

Then again, it is also very likely that Audi has already planned to absorb the worldwide cute ute buyers seeking a luxury ride with an ICE or hybrid powertrain. There's no guarantee that the ICE Macan will survive past this generation if the Q5 models meet sales targets. We will have to look for spy shots around Nurburgring about a year from now.

Bloomberg indicated this week that they think Porsche is pivoting toward China for future growth. I think that's only one element of the strategy --- and perhaps it's incompatible with Porsche's desire to go further upmarket as the Macan EV pricing indicates. The high pricing strategy may be a bad gamble. Chinese buyers are likely more price conscious, and EVs are not necessarily the choice of emerging markets. The newly affluent Chinese will still have to buy whatever fuel Dear Chairman tells them. To such a large geographic country, it's unrealistic to think Xi will cut off gasoline, as his obvious positions on ecology and Russian aggression haven't prompted him to think more wisely/long-term.

Porsche executives have publicly dropped some not-so-subtle hints that they "expect" the EU to delay its EV implementation. No doubt there is some serious lobbying going on. But if the EU sticks to emissions restrictions and EV charging plans as announced, then my fear would be that Porsche could choose eventually to open a manufacturing site for future ICE cars outside of Europe, and convert its Euro factories to make only EVs for the home market. In distributing a global footprint, most companies lose some quality, it's almost inevitable as communication lines cross time zones, languages, and cultures. Whether VW knows it or not, their struggle to maintain top quality in their Mexican vehicles for the NA market has been a major factor in killing the VW brand on this side of the Atlantic. Let's hope Porsche realizes that their quality reputation is not guaranteed, it has to be earned every day.

It would be very nice if Porsche would announce its intentions for the current ICE Macan. Very soon they will know what the world thinks of the latest ugly/expensive EV. It will have massive appeal to its target affluent urban customers but it won't make as much profit as the Macan ICE models have; they've priced themselves out of the mainstream worldwide. I suspect that Porsche will find the base 2.0 engine ICE is the only rational option to be their dominant money maker going forward in most markets. To me that means they will have to continue current model production for another ~2 years while developing the next generation ICE Macan. I would love to see a couple nice swan song specialty Macan models, especially a Club Sport version with significant mass reduction and all the handling goodies. Porsche relies on base ICE Macan models in the BRIC countries, and Americans are going to buy what they're going to buy. The VW Group doesn't really care if the badge on the front is Audi or Porsche, but we all hope a next generation Macan could be lighter, more efficient, cleaner design and no more expensive than the current model. More choices are better.
Originally Posted by Russian Mafia
If you add it all up, government intervention, market forces, mechanical limitations, economic realities, etc., it seems pretty clear either Porsche continues as an ICE manufacturer or we're witnessing their swan song.
It is hard for me to believe that Porsche will end ICE production of the Macan within the next 2 years. Seems way too premature for a vehicle that is so significant to Porsche and whose customer base may not have the interest or infrastructure to go EV. At the same time, it seems hard to believe that they will reverse course and do something like invest in yet another substantial refresh in the ICE Macan like they did with the Cayenne. They seem hell-bent on EVs. But to be clear, I would love it if they did!

Quick Reply: Starting 2024 no more ICE Macan in EU