Fractured Lifting Point

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2024, 08:45 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy300
Thanks for all the info!! When it broke, I was not using a pad or block to protect it.
Originally Posted by wingless
That Powerbuilt Unijack combination jack / jackstand looks like a very safe lifting method, w/ a 4K lbs capacity and a lifting range from 8-5/8" to 18-5/8".

It may be possible to arrive at a compatible interface to the Macan body.

The Unijack has a saddle top, perfect for contacting an exterior rib, like a vehicle frame, but less ideal for an internal pocket, like on the Macan.

Perhaps something like a thick wall 1" square tube cut to over 2" long might be a safe / secure / appropriate interface between the Macan lift pocket and the Unijack saddle. A quick vehicle measurement shows there is probably sufficient vertical clearance for that setup at front and rear.
I usually use a 2x4 between unijack and lifting block. The flanges of the unijack dig into the wood and it is all pretty stable.
Zero doubt about the setup stability.

The OP topic is about vehicle damage.

Clearly usage of lifting using a 2x4 scrap across the Macan jack pocket results in vehicle damage.

Switching from a 2x4 board across the jack pocket to an appropriately sized device inserted into the pocket, or a device specifically designed for the pocket, should prevent damage to the vehicle.

These Pelican images show that pocket and the concealed lifting point.

As was stated my vehicle has been lifted many times by me, at the lifting pockets, using appropriately sized inserts, w/ zero vehicle damage.

Why not post images showing the jack point pockets, damaged by lifting w/ a 2x4 board interface?

It was damaged when I was not using a 2x4. A 2x4 spreads the load out across the jacking surface. That is the way to go.
Thanks, it had not previously been clear to me that the damage was caused by lifting / supporting the vehicle using that small Powerbuilt Unijack saddle against the vehicle's rocker panel jack point pocket.

​​​​​​​Yes, I would also expect that saddle to damage the vehicle w/o using something to spread the load force.

Continued usage of fresh 2x4 scraps, so that the Unijack saddle digs into the wood, should be an acceptable interface for strength and stability.

Alternately, usage of a ~2" long thick wall 1" square thick-walled steel tube should also be a good permanent interface between the Unijack and the Macan rocker panel jack point lift pocket.
Old 02-16-2024, 08:30 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 272 Posts

jbx2, can you share a source or part number for those VW lift pads that fit the holes?
Old 02-19-2024, 03:00 PM
jbx2
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

ECS Tuning says no longer available but maybe they can found elsewhere

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...d-kit/mk4jppk/

EDIT:
Found this:
audi TT 8N support lift for sale | eBay

And this:
Lift Pad Set (A4) 8N0804583/8N0803855 | IDParts.com - Diesel Parts

Last edited by jbx2; 02-19-2024 at 03:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
wingless (02-19-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 07:09 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 92 Posts

These Pelican images show that pocket and the concealed lifting point.

Originally Posted by jbx2
Those look very nice.

Is there sufficient clearance for those to remain permanently installed and the the underbody cover installed w/ those pads remaining in place, at all locations?

Quick Reply: Fractured Lifting Point