Notices
Macan 2014-Current

2024 - Active Cruise Control / Defeatable?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 02:02 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Larson E. Rapp
If it weren't for the roar-up-behind-the-car-in-front-and-slam-on-the-brakes behavior, it would be fine. It is simply too eager to hit the brakes, in general.
IMO that condition makes the system suck worse than I could ever have imagined.

My driving style always gets well over 100K mile on a set of brakes.

This system (again great for Americans) probably contributes to the typical American brake life of 20K to 40K miles.
Old 02-21-2024, 04:55 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 307 Likes on 186 Posts

The thing about ACC is that yes, it sort of sucks in some ways, but you only need it about 1% of the time (or at least, I do.) And that 1% makes all the difference.

Just got back from a trip through LA on 405, for example, where two-hour stop-and-go backups are their idea of fun. ACC is a real sanity-saver under those conditions. Set for maximum following distance, select the 'Normal' drive mode (least aggressive braking), and you will rarely actually stop. When you do, it will take off automatically unless the stoppage lasts for more than 5-10 seconds or so, in which case you just need to bump the stalk upwards.

Same story on busy two-lane rural roads where passing isn't safe/possible. It just works.

If you are lucky enough not to ever encounter these situations then you don't need ACC, but for most drivers it is well worth specifying.
Old 02-21-2024, 05:15 PM
ilovemaui
Burning Brakes

Received 320 Likes on 183 Posts

I love ACC and won’t own a car without it. The few times it brakes for someone cutting me off is minimal compared to manually turning it on and off again.

I can understand why you would want the option for using cruise without ACC and it should be an option.

Last edited by ilovemaui; 02-21-2024 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-21-2024, 05:45 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 307 Likes on 186 Posts

I dunno. Whenever I use the cruise control in my 981 I have to force myself to repeat under my breath, "I do not have radar. This car will not stop itself." I can see a valid human-factors rationale for not supporting active and passive cruise in the same vehicle.

(That said, I have seen the 95B.2's cruise control enter 'Passive mode' on occasion, but I'm not sure what causes it to happen.)

Last edited by Larson E. Rapp; 02-21-2024 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-22-2024, 07:09 PM
CavallinoRed
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Larson E. Rapp
I dunno. Whenever I use the cruise control in my 981 I have to force myself to repeat under my breath, "I do not have radar. This car will not stop itself." I can see a valid human-factors rationale for not supporting active and passive cruise in the same vehicle.

(That said, I have seen the 95B.2's cruise control enter 'Passive mode' on occasion, but I'm not sure what causes it to happen.)
Main reason I wish my Macan had ACC is the option is needed for auto braking. Totally agree that you must retrain the brain when switching between vehicles. Have a Mercury from the ‘60s that only has lap belts and a quite beautiful steering wheel that many call “the chest piercer”. Lane change assist…AH… doesn’t even have an outside passenger mirror.

All current assist systems need work but as long as you can turn the feature off I want it.

I’m at a certain age that I hope Level 5 autonomous driving comes sooner that later. :0)
Old 02-25-2024, 03:45 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 533 Posts

Love Adaptive CC usually, but there have been a few very rare instances where it slams on the brakes. I know what causes it, so I have to turn it off when I see it coming.
Old 02-25-2024, 03:48 PM
wwahl
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
Love Adaptive CC usually, but there have been a few very rare instances where it slams on the brakes. I know what causes it, so I have to turn it off when I see it coming.
Please fill us in. What causes it?
Old 02-25-2024, 03:56 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wwahl
Please fill us in. What causes it?
I'm in the right lane in town, and car in front needs to slow down to make a right turn into a parking lot.
Easy to see coming, especially if he has his turn signal on.
Old 02-25-2024, 04:53 PM
schnell
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm in the right lane in town, and car in front needs to slow down to make a right turn into a parking lot.
Easy to see coming, especially if he has his turn signal on.
Interesting-- I use ACC on two-lane roads frequently and in almost 3 years have never had that happen with my 2021. What does sometimes happen is that I will get an alert approaching trees where the car doesn't know there is a fairly sharp 90 left bend in the road, which is somewhat understandable. That spot is near my home so I encounter it often, but only get the false alarm once in a long while. I can't recall an automatic braking maneuver following another car that slows down to turn. I wonder if there is a calibration that can be performed on the system.
Old 02-25-2024, 05:28 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

The only calibration possible is to set the following distance as close as possible.
Old 02-25-2024, 05:33 PM
schnell
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

The only calibration possible is to set the following distance as close as possible.
I meant more like a dealer service department calibration.
Old 02-25-2024, 11:59 PM
wwahl
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 107 Posts

No, not the route to follow. Try INCREASING the distance between you and the cars in front of you. This gives the ACC more time to deal with the closing problem.
Old 02-26-2024, 12:15 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wwahl
No, not the route to follow. Try INCREASING the distance between you and the cars in front of you. This gives the ACC more time to deal with the closing problem.
I thought about that.
More distance, more chance for someone to cut in front of you. But I understand where you are coming from.
Porsche brakes are capable of handling the shorter stopping distances.

Quick Reply: 2024 - Active Cruise Control / Defeatable?