Macan 2014-Current

Sport vs Sport+ modes

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2024, 01:25 AM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Sport vs Sport+ modes

Is there any real difference (besides launch control active in Sport+) between these two modes? I normally drive in Sport mode and recently changed to Sport+ and did not notice much of a difference (on the street), 22 GTS. In my X3 M40i, there was a drastic difference with Sport + mode forcing redline shifts whereas in the Porsche Macan shift points don't seem much different.
Old 03-11-2024, 05:37 AM
nemo06
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

On my MY21 Turbo, I never use Sport Plus mode because it always keeps the engine rpm at the limit.
The Sport/Sport Plus difference is huge.
Old 03-11-2024, 08:59 AM
NickS
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 55 Posts

There are subtle differences, none of them are power related (unless you have the over boost button) however. In my 24' GTS the throttle response and gear changes are stepped up pretty dramatically. The PDK is fastest in S+ and pretty lazy in Drive Non-sport and throttle response is so much better in S+ over the other modes.
Old 03-11-2024, 10:18 AM
BMinSFL
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 92 Posts

On my 2021, its a big difference in shift speed (especially in manual mode), higher shift points and overall mapping to keep it in a lower gear for longer. I don't notice a difference in pedal sensitivity over Sport. The exhaust (standard) also likes to burble a bit more.
Old 03-11-2024, 10:30 AM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

On an ‘18 Turbo, there’s a big difference.
Old 03-12-2024, 10:42 PM
Veki
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DHL
Is there any real difference (besides launch control active in Sport+) between these two modes? I normally drive in Sport mode and recently changed to Sport+ and did not notice much of a difference (on the street), 22 GTS. In my X3 M40i, there was a drastic difference with Sport + mode forcing redline shifts whereas in the Porsche Macan shift points don't seem much different.
On my 22 Macan S difference is huge between Sport and Sport+... I prefer Sport because Sport+ is too brutal,..
The following 2 users liked this post by Veki:
nemo06 (03-13-2024), Terry Adams (03-19-2024)
Old 03-12-2024, 11:17 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

An ‘18 Turbo will cause the PDK to drop several gears. Comfort 7, Sport 5, Sport+ 3…RPM follows speed and the gear I’m in at that speed.
Old 03-13-2024, 02:49 PM
Dsandler
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BMinSFL
On my 2021, its a big difference in shift speed (especially in manual mode), higher shift points and overall mapping to keep it in a lower gear for longer. I don't notice a difference in pedal sensitivity over Sport. The exhaust (standard) also likes to burble a bit more.
burbles and overruns are more evident j. sports vs sports plus. It’s how Porsche mapped it.
Old 03-13-2024, 03:52 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 927 Likes on 432 Posts

In addition to what's mentioned above, on my 23 sport plus lowers the air suspension and changes the shocks to their stiffest setting.
Old 03-15-2024, 01:34 AM
boyce89976
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Big difference in engine and PDK mapping. Much more aggressive throttle response and much more aggressive shifting.
Old 03-15-2024, 06:17 AM
nemo06
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by boyce89976
much more aggressive shifting.
Too much, usable only on the track.
The following users liked this post:
Terry Adams (03-19-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 07:31 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Wow. Surprised at how many different responses there have been. I went back and did some more careful observations. First, I always have the suspension set for the highest performance (2 LED lit on console) so that means I won't see any suspension differences. I also always have the air suspension on the lowest position. Have not noticed any difference in height between Sport and Sport+ (unless its a few mm or something subtle). Watching more closely, I have noticed the shift points are a little higher in RPM (maybe 500 RPM or so depending on the gear and throttle position), but nothing as drastic as the X3M40i which forced every shift to redline no matter what the gear or throttle position. I haven't tried a comparison under full throttle/kick down which I suspect is where the differences will be more obvious.
Old 03-16-2024, 07:45 AM
BMinSFL
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by DHL
Wow. Surprised at how many different responses there have been. I went back and did some more careful observations. First, I always have the suspension set for the highest performance (2 LED lit on console) so that means I won't see any suspension differences. I also always have the air suspension on the lowest position. Have not noticed any difference in height between Sport and Sport+ (unless its a few mm or something subtle). Watching more closely, I have noticed the shift points are a little higher in RPM (maybe 500 RPM or so depending on the gear and throttle position), but nothing as drastic as the X3M40i which forced every shift to redline no matter what the gear or throttle position. I haven't tried a comparison under full throttle/kick down which I suspect is where the differences will be more obvious.
The biggest difference for me is in manual mode at 3/4 or higher throttle position. Shift points are not a factor in manual mode but it's the speed and crispness of the shifts that I notice most over Sport. In auto mode, sport+ is still pretty intuitive, shifting at a good spot in light throttle but holding the gears more in heavier throttle input. It's just right for me when I want a change from normal or Sport.

Last edited by BMinSFL; 03-16-2024 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-16-2024, 08:12 AM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BMinSFL
The biggest difference for me is in manual mode at 3/4 or higher throttle position. Shift points are not a factor in manual mode but it's the speed and crispness of the shifts that I notice most over Sport. In auto mode, sport+ is still pretty intuitive, shifting at a good spot in light throttle but holding the gears more in heavier throttle input. It's just right for me when I want a change from normal or Sport.
I'll have to try manual mode. Used it more when I had my 911, but never used it in the Macan. I assume in manual mode the car will not shift unless paddle shifted or you run it up to redline? The shifting is where I noticed the largest difference over my 2017 991.2 Carrera.

I have also noticed some down shifting strangeness in Sport mode when I approach an intersection under braking. Car is way late downshifting into 1st just before I stop. In standard mode downshifting does not rev match as much because the car is short shifting long before I stop.
Old 03-16-2024, 11:07 PM
boyce89976
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by DHL
I'll have to try manual mode. Used it more when I had my 911, but never used it in the Macan. I assume in manual mode the car will not shift unless paddle shifted or you run it up to redline? The shifting is where I noticed the largest difference over my 2017 991.2 Carrera.

I have also noticed some down shifting strangeness in Sport mode when I approach an intersection under braking. Car is way late downshifting into 1st just before I stop. In standard mode downshifting does not rev match as much because the car is short shifting long before I stop.
If it downshifted into 1st sooner, it would make the car lurch under braking. They program it that way so it's smoother to stop, or slow way down, before applying throttle again. In that scenario, 2nd gear makes the whole operation smoother.

Quick Reply: Sport vs Sport+ modes