Macan 2014-Current

Anyone switched from a 911 to Macan?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2024, 12:48 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

I have done both - at this point (I am 62) I find for a DD the Macan is a good option for me. Had a 22 Macan S for 5 months - while my ordered 23 GTS was built. When 23 came in - turned in 22 S lease and never looked back - The S was a really nice SUV - but was not inspiring - preferred the X5M i had in the past. The GTS is great, just feels right - I am very happy with it as a DD.

If you can only have 1 car the Gen 2 GTS is hard to beat for flexibility - its fun, it can carry some stuff, take 4 people when you need to. It is not a 911 driving experience - so if you swap you will be looking for a weekend Porsche in the future if finances allow. If you don't need the flexibility of the Macan and you love the 911 you have I would stick with it until it doesn't work for you.

GLWD!

Last edited by supercup; 04-03-2024 at 12:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mike981S (04-06-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 01:36 PM
stever996
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Is that the general concensus? If you are past a certain age,a 911 just isn't a good choice...? I have an '01 996 since new, and have now at 72 no interest in a 4 hour freeway ride. I was hoping newer 911s had a softer ride available, as a friend has an '18 Boxster recently aquired that he/wife drove from WI to Maine. Thay had no 'bad' days driving.
Am I looking at the wrong car, and should consider a Macan?
Marv (04-10-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 01:41 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 719 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by stever996
Is that the general concensus? If you are past a certain age,a 911 just isn't a good choice...? I have an '01 996 since new, and have now at 72 no interest in a 4 hour freeway ride. I was hoping newer 911s had a softer ride available, as a friend has an '18 Boxster recently aquired that he/wife drove from WI to Maine. Thay had no 'bad' days driving.
Absolutely not! I think the issue some older folks have is getting in and out of a lower car, not the harshness of the ride. I'm 62 and have no problem in that regard. My plan is to have a 911 daily and a Macan daily for my wife and I in retirement.

Last edited by Onami; 04-03-2024 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-03-2024, 01:51 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 533 Posts

I am 77 with 2 herniated disks L5, and 2 metal hips 12 years ago.
I have no problem getting in or out of my 911, but I work to achieve that.
Personal trainer twice a week plus one mile walks twice a week.
Old 04-03-2024, 02:01 PM
solts
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 60 Posts

I can offer my $0.02 since I moved on from a 997.2TTS and into a new '23 MGTS since I needed something to shuttle the kiddos from school. From a DD comparison, the MGTS is better, hands down. I honestly didn't mind DDing my Turbo at all, but after having the Macan for 9 months it became apparent at just how much better it was. From a performance perspective it's obviously not as quick as the Turbo, but its "quick enough" for where I'm able to drive around here. Handling is great - I can take all the corners on the roads I like to drive at the same speeds as the 911 could do. I probably wouldn't like it as much if i just got one in parking lot spec, but with the full GTS package in an Python green it still gives me the sporty feel that I had in the 911. I might add an older Boxster to the stable sometime down the road to scratch the roadster itch, but it would be hard to give up that combination of utility and performance I get right now out of the MGTS as a DD. The only thing I'd switch it out for down the road is probably a Cayenne GTS once the kids grow and need more space in the back.
supercup (04-04-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 05:26 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 259 Likes on 172 Posts

I don’t drive to work everyday and my drive can be 1 hour each way depending on traffic. I don’t have an issue with ingress/egress with sports/super cars but I would not want them as a DD due to the harsh ride. My current DD is a G80 Comp xDrive and it’s stiff enough for me. I find that the ‘22 and newer Macan GTS is well balanced in the performance, comfort, and utility role. To each his own.
Old 04-03-2024, 06:44 PM
jdcolombo
Advanced

Received 93 Likes on 27 Posts

I wouldn't say that. I think it depends on your joints and your use case for the 911. I thought the ride quality of my 911S cabrio was dandy. No issues there. My wife and I regularly drove it 3+ hours to visit family in southern Illinois and loved every minute. The problem in my case was that at the end, I just couldn't live with entry/egress half a dozen times a day. If I only had to do that twice for a commute, I'd probably still be driving it. But it was more than twice: trips to the post office, coffee shop, grocery store, Home Depot, etc. This car was literally my daily driver for everything. I could do it (I do a 30-minute weight routine 3 times a week and 30 minutes of cardio on non-weight days), but my knees didn't appreciate it by trip #5.

It's just a question of your personal situation, and it wasn't a ride quality issue at all. The modern 911's ride quality is superb. As long as you don't have joint issues getting in and out of low-slung sports cars, by all means go for it.
stever996 (04-04-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 06:57 PM
solts
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jdcolombo
It's just a question of your personal situation, and it wasn't a ride quality issue at all. The modern 911's ride quality is superb. As long as you don't have joint issues getting in and out of low-slung sports cars, by all means go for it.
This. I think the overall consensus is anything >991.1 has already morphed into GT territory. From a ride/comfort perspective, just toss it into 'Comfort' and you're golden all day long. The only discomfort, as mentioned above, is the fact that they sit lower and if you have bad joints, you'll have issues with ingress/egress. If the ride height isn't an issue, the reason to consider a Macan is if you just need more utility out of a daily driver (rear seats, adjustable ride height, roof rack, tow hitch, AWD etc) but still want something that's also fun to wip around. I fit in the latter category (at 42 my joints aren't toast yet) and cross-shopped the MGTS with the G80 and RS5 Sportback.
stever996 (04-04-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 11:32 PM
thekarpo
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 22' Macan S with a Cobb Stage 1 tune and a 991.1 C2 - I wouldn't trade either of them for one. They both are my favorite daily drivers, the Macan when the weather needs AWD or space and the 991 when I can can for every other time. In upstate NY - the Macan sees most of its duty during the the winter months, or I want to fly under the radar. Keep both!
supercup (04-04-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 06:04 AM
Tim Cooper
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm 69 and clapped out from too much manual work but i still love driving the 996, great go karty feel and when summer comes the ragtop is a bonus.

The Macan is good for child seats in the back , big shopping and i specced 19" rims with air so it's perfect for long trips down to the Med.

It's a turbo PP so is also faster than the 996, but more civilised.
Old 04-04-2024, 11:56 AM
stever996
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by solts
This. I think the overall consensus is anything >991.1 has already morphed into GT territory. From a ride/comfort perspective, just toss it into 'Comfort' and you're golden all day long. The only discomfort, as mentioned above, is the fact that they sit lower and if you have bad joints, you'll have issues with ingress/egress. If the ride height isn't an issue, the reason to consider a Macan is if you just need more utility out of a daily driver (rear seats, adjustable ride height, roof rack, tow hitch, AWD etc) but still want something that's also fun to wip around. I fit in the latter category (at 42 my joints aren't toast yet) and cross-shopped the MGTS with the G80 and RS5 Sportback.
What option, if any, do I need to get to have a 'comfort' choice. What year did this become available on 911s? (Thanks to you and jdcolombo for addressing the question....my '01 suspension is too stiff to worry about getting in/out. I just don't drive it! )

Last edited by stever996; 04-04-2024 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-05-2024, 02:50 AM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
I kept my 991 C2S after buying a Macan S -now replaced by a 2018 Macan Turbo. The 991 as a result has acquired a sense of "occasion" any and every time I want it.

Macans are deceptive. They have that "occasion" sense if you put your foot down. The Turbo, with air suspension, has dual personalities. It is can be silky smooth, quiet and calm or manic and as competent as the 911 (so long as you respect its weight).

If forced to have only one, I'd keep the Macan Turbo. I have owned Porsches since 1973 and am close to 80, so there's that too.
Same here, first Porsche was a new 1971 911T. If you can afford it and have the parking space, a Macan (we have a 2021 Turbo) and a Porsche sports car (we have a 718 Cayman T) make a great combo. But if only one, Macan Turbo for sure.

Originally Posted by Ksdaoski
If it's an actual replacement you'll be left disappointed in the driving characteristics. It's hard to replicate a 911 driving experience with anything let alone with a vehicle that is either an SUV or a large hatchback. The Macan we'll drive better than most SUVs or hatchbacks, so in a vacuum it's fantastic. But when held up against a 911, I would miss the 911 driving characteristics. Of course the Macan can hold a lot more, handle deep snow better, and hold more people. So there's a definitive trade-off either way.

So yeah, need to have both!
Amen!

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
I am 77 with 2 herniated disks L5, and 2 metal hips 12 years ago.
I have no problem getting in or out of my 911, but I work to achieve that.
Personal trainer twice a week plus one mile walks twice a week.
At my tender age of 78, staying relatively fit and, especially, limber and mobile is important. But getting into and out of our 718 Cayman T is getting unpleasant. I'm guessing it would still be unpleasant if I was 20 years younger. Trying to avoid hitting the door cards and leather inner door sills (big mistake ordering those) with my feet is part of the problem

What option, if any, do I need to get to have a 'comfort' choice. What year did this become available on 911s? (Thanks to you and jdcolombo for addressing the question....my '01 suspension is too stiff to worry about getting in/out. I just don't drive it! )
I'm guessing the referenced comfort setting is the normal one, the soft one. Some Porsches also have comfort tire pressure settings, but you have to get out of the car to change that.

Happy Easter,
TT

Last edited by TomTarzian; 04-05-2024 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-05-2024, 10:02 AM
DR_DFW
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTarzian
At my tender age of 78, staying relatively fit and, especially, limber and mobile is important. But getting into and out of our 718 Cayman T is getting unpleasant. I'm guessing it would still be unpleasant if I was 20 years younger. Trying to a void hitting the door cards and leather inner door sills (big mistake ordering those) with my feet is part of the problem

TT
I am "only" 52, very fit, however, 45 years of tennis every day, not proper stretching and conditioning, and very inflexible build, have left the scars -- lower back issues, hip pains, knees issues.
Loved my G80 6MT but ultimately decided I did not want to fight it any more getting in and out every day. Also, my knees hated the 6MT.

The Macan GTS was the best decision I made (and letting the G80 go)
Old 04-05-2024, 11:54 AM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by DR_DFW
I am "only" 52, very fit, however, 45 years of tennis every day, not proper stretching and conditioning, and very inflexible build, have left the scars -- lower back issues, hip pains, knees issues.
Loved my G80 6MT but ultimately decided I did not want to fight it any more getting in and out every day. Also, my knees hated the 6MT.

The Macan GTS was the best decision I made (and letting the G80 go)
You are just getting warmed up! (And a G80 is way easier to get in and out of than a 911 or 718.)

God bless you,
TT

Last edited by TomTarzian; 04-05-2024 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-05-2024, 09:20 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 99 Posts

I owned a 911 2017 991.2 and loved the car. Entry and egress was difficult, esp in a tight garage, and I'm mid 70's. It was my first Porsche after an entire liftime of BMW M cars going back to the 80's, but in MHO BMW has lost its way so I thought I would try out Porsche to replace a wonderful but aging 2002 E39 M5. Also looked at the AMG/Mercedes GT but after a test drive struck it from the list. Five minutes into the test drive in the Porsche I was sold. Almost got a speeding ticket after an aggressive freeway onramp merge on that test drive. So I bought it, but the love affair soured a bit after the water pump failed less than 100 mi after I took delivery of the car. It still had 1 year or so on the original warranty so Porsche flat bedded the car to the closest dealer and they fixed it. Sold the M5 and was looking for a Macan S to complete my all Porsche garage, but I could not get a build slot for 2022. So I did something I promised myself I would not do and that was to purchase another BMW, the X3 M40i. On paper the X3 and the Macan S looked close, but from the driver's seat, no comparison. A year later I'm driving the 911 into town and I get a coolant fault. Oh great, this time no warranty. Drove it to the dealership (it was Saturday) and they could not have been nicer. Offered me a ride home and told me Service would look at my car next week. While I'm waiting I am relaying my past experience in getting a Macan, and they tell me they have a 22 GTS on the lot. I am thinking this is a little to rich for me, but what could it hurt to test drive it while I'm waiting for my ride home. WOW, I was so impressed I ended up buying the GTS that day, and trading the BMW (took a bloodbath on the exchange, but that's OK). A week later sold the 911 to the same dealership because I really was not driving it as much and with reliability problems regarding the cooling system, I could not afford to keep both cars. The GTS scratches 90% of my 911 itch in daily driving on the street, and is a bit more practical as well.

Quick Reply: Anyone switched from a 911 to Macan?