Macan 2014-Current

Vibration at high speeds 70+ MPH

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2024, 11:47 AM
thisischoi
AutoX

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Vibration at high speeds 70+ MPH

I purchased a used 2018 Macan S last night and on the way home, I felt a vibration come from the bottom of the car (not through the steering wheel) when going 70-80 MPH. No shakes or vibrations at lower speeds however. I’ve searched the boards here and other forums and although other people are experiencing the same issue, there’s no explanation of it nor a solution posted. I’m going back to the dealership I bought the car from hoping they will address the issue. Any feedback here will be welcomed but either way, I’ll post an update once I know more.
Old 04-05-2024, 11:49 AM
Tormeno
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I bet you 100 bucks its the transfer case, which has an extended warranty by Porsche as its a known issue!
Old 04-05-2024, 12:49 PM
thisischoi
AutoX

Originally Posted by Tormeno
I bet you 100 bucks its the transfer case, which has an extended warranty by Porsche as its a known issue!
You think? I should have added that the car only has 37k miles. Would the transfer case already have problems?
Old 04-05-2024, 03:14 PM
Tormeno
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by thisischoi
You think? I should have added that the car only has 37k miles. Would the transfer case already have problems?
Yep! My 2017 S had the same issue at 60k miles.
Old 04-05-2024, 04:15 PM
isugoo
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 182 Posts

Did you recently mount tires or something?
Generally speaking, this happens when tire balances are off during mounting.
Old 04-05-2024, 10:35 PM
boyce89976
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by isugoo
Did you recently mount tires or something?
Generally speaking, this happens when tire balances are off during mounting.
Agreed. Or, flat-spotting from sitting.

I had a Honda Pilot with a transfer case issue and it would violently shudder the whole car under torque load (like going up a steep hill) irregardless of speed. Never was a problem at constant speed.
Old 04-05-2024, 11:27 PM
thisischoi
AutoX

I ended up dropping the car off at a Porsche dealership that is under the same parent company, Lithia, the car was purchased at a BMW dealership. They examined the car today and found that the tires were 1. Worn down to 4/32 2. Tires are 6 years old 3. One of the wheels were missing balancing weights. At this point, they are saying these are the reasons for the shaking and cannot find anything else that would cause the vibrations. I'm usually pretty good at examining these types of things when I buy a used car but for some reason I didn't pay too much attention to the tires, maybe because I was buying from a BMW dealership? I really don't know. I've started a discussion with the BMW sales manager but their response was that "the car is fine and there was nothing wrong with the car yesterday. All dealerships try to upsell items to make extra money but your tires are fine." In response, I sent him the link of the video the Porsche tech explaining the tire situation and everything else that needed to be addressed. At this point, he's not wrong but I feel like they should have addressed these items before placing the car for sale. I will follow up again with what the BMW dealership decides to do...stay tuned!
Old 04-05-2024, 11:33 PM
boyce89976
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

I ended up dropping the car off at a Porsche dealership that is under the same parent company, Lithia, the car was purchased at a BMW dealership. They examined the car today and found that the tires were 1. Worn down to 4/32 2. Tires are 6 years old 3. One of the wheels were missing balancing weights. At this point, they are saying these are the reasons for the shaking and cannot find anything else that would cause the vibrations. I'm usually pretty good at examining these types of things when I buy a used car but for some reason I didn't pay too much attention to the tires, maybe because I was buying from a BMW dealership? I really don't know. I've started a discussion with the BMW sales manager but their response was that "the car is fine and there was nothing wrong with the car yesterday. All dealerships try to upsell items to make extra money but your tires are fine." In response, I sent him the link of the video the Porsche tech explaining the tire situation and everything else that needed to be addressed. At this point, he's not wrong but I feel like they should have addressed these items before placing the car for sale. I will follow up again with what the BMW dealership decides to do...stay tuned!
This sounds a lot like my experience buying my daughter's first car (a 2016 Nissan Sentra with 48k miles). I wouldn't buy a ball point pen from that dealership now. With her car, it turned out all four steel wheels were out of round. Car drove just fine but would vibrate every once in a while (I guess when all of the wheels 'synched up'). Dealership we bought it from ended up buying four new wheels.
Old 04-06-2024, 01:04 AM
ilovemaui
Burning Brakes

Received 319 Likes on 182 Posts

It’s amazing how unbalanced tires can affect a car. I picked up a little cruiser HHR SS a couple weeks ago near Chicago. It had brand new tires that had been installed by a large midwest tire store. Once you hit 60 mph the steering will shuttered and it sounded like something was banging in the steering column. I took it to a different tire store and had them remove all the weights and start from scratch. The result was no more shutter or steering column noise.

Old 04-06-2024, 10:26 AM
DR_DFW
AutoX

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I just purchased my 2023 GTS at a BMW dealership and they have replaced 3 out of 4 tires, they balanced them and checked the alignment.
I drove it up to 100mph on a few occasions and it is very smooth.
Old 04-06-2024, 01:10 PM
isugoo
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 182 Posts

Glad to see its simple issue (worn, old tires with missing balance weights).
Time to get good tires and balance properly. Then enjoy!
The following users liked this post:
thisischoi (04-07-2024)
Old 04-06-2024, 01:33 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 451 Likes on 334 Posts

Occam's razor
boyce89976 (04-06-2024)
Old 04-06-2024, 01:47 PM
jbx2
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I question your due diligence. I would suggest a PPI for that kind of money and the reality is that you looked at the car and bought it. Tires are a fairly obvious check point to determine their suitability and can even indicate alignment or previous owner's driving habits. Good luck
boyce89976 (04-06-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 04:31 PM
thisischoi
AutoX

Originally Posted by Kitc2246
Occam's razor
I know, right? I was just worried it might be something worse and none of the searches I've found listed/posted any resolution.
Old 04-07-2024, 04:41 PM
thisischoi
AutoX

Originally Posted by jbx2
I question your due diligence. I would suggest a PPI for that kind of money and the reality is that you looked at the car and bought it. Tires are a fairly obvious check point to determine their suitability and can even indicate alignment or previous owner's driving habits. Good luck
Comments and responses like yours give Porsche owners a bad name. Maybe your social skills needs a little questioning. I'm sure you'll respond to my comment so here's mine to yours. Yes, I could have gotten a PPI done but large dealerships usually don't allow any type of inspections other than visuals. Tires are typically obvious if they are beyond a point of wear. I visually checked the tires and all seemed to have a bit of wear but I didn't bring my tire tread depth gauge to measure exactly what depth the tread actually was. I did not check the dates on the tires because honestly, I never would assume that a BMW dealership would allow for this to happen. Lastly, the issue only presents itself at speeds above 70mph and on our test drive route, we didn't have an opportunity to drive up to those speeds. I do welcome comments and even criticism but work on your delivery. Good luck!
WillinEvergreen (04-08-2024)

Quick Reply: Vibration at high speeds 70+ MPH