Macan 2014-Current

wrapping side blades

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2024, 03:43 PM
mark8
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default wrapping side blades

Picking up a 2020 Turbo today. This particular Macan is silver and the side blades are silver too. I think the silver looks better with black side blades. Seems like it might be doable to wrap them DIY, but I have not done any wrapping before... Has anyone wrapped them?
Old 04-11-2024, 09:50 PM
BMinSFL
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 92 Posts

Congrats on a fantastic acquisition. Post some photos.

It may be tough to get the leading points taught without removing the side blades. Vinyl needs a bit of a stretch to stay put over edges and corners. You do not want to remove the side blades if you can help it. Perhaps an overlay with some knifeless tape would be the easiest way vs. a full wrap around the edges.

If it were me, I would just add a matte black turbo decal on the sideblade or something similar to throw the black in there.

Last edited by BMinSFL; 04-11-2024 at 09:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mark8 (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 01:05 PM
Long Islander
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mark8
Picking up a 2020 Turbo today. This particular Macan is silver and the side blades are silver too. I think the silver looks better with black side blades. Seems like it might be doable to wrap them DIY, but I have not done any wrapping before... Has anyone wrapped them?
Interesting. I ordered a factory build Macan S and paid $680 as an option to get the side blades in body color (Dolomite silver in my case) rather than black, which is standard. And there you are wanting to change the silver blades to black. If Porsche had a $0 cost delete option for the side blades, I would have taken that option and saved $680.
Old 04-12-2024, 01:57 PM
sctw
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Long Islander
Interesting. I ordered a factory build Macan S and paid $680 as an option to get the side blades in body color (Dolomite silver in my case) rather than black, which is standard. And there you are wanting to change the silver blades to black. If Porsche had a $0 cost delete option for the side blades, I would have taken that option and saved $680.
Same with My 20 Macan S DS. Think it looks so much better vs. the black.
Old 04-12-2024, 02:31 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,836 Likes on 1,722 Posts

Mine came with the gloss black blades as part of the Turbo Design option.
I thought I'd wanted them white but glad I kept them and now love them as they are.
I haven't wrapped mine but I did get them PPF'd. I'm sure it's an easy DIY to wrap them.
Old 04-12-2024, 02:36 PM
mark8
Intermediate

Ha that's awesome. Maybe it will grow on me. I think on the GTS (apparently the S as well?) black accents are the default option and you have to choose an option to have them changed to the body color. On the Turbo, I think body color is standard but I could be wrong. I have a feeling I'll leave them as is. I think having them in the body color might grow on me.

jbx2 (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 05:33 PM
jbx2
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

You might consider Plasti Dip. It's fairly inexpensive and reversible. I have a winter set of wheels for my Cayman that have been dipped for a couple of seasons without trouble.
DipYourCar.com

or

Side Blades (2023 Version) : Suncoast Porsche Parts & Accessories (suncoastparts.com)

Last edited by jbx2; 04-12-2024 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-12-2024, 07:24 PM
DiscoWagon
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 91 Posts

This may not be a well known fact, but painted side blades were a free option on GTS. I'm glad my SA notified me of this at time of order.
Old 04-13-2024, 06:09 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 99 Posts

Why not just buy stock black blades and have the dealership (or a body shop) replace them?
Old 04-13-2024, 07:06 PM
mark8
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DHL
Why not just buy stock black blades and have the dealership (or a body shop) replace them?
I'm guessing that would be very costly but I could be wrong.
Old 04-14-2024, 05:02 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 99 Posts

I'm guessing that would be very costly but I could be wrong.
Suncoast has them in a number of colors (you did not mention whether you has an S or GTS) for $125 set. They are probably snap on/off so maybe DIY.
https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/skumacg3sdd.html

Comes as a set for both sides. Call Suncoast for details.
Old 04-14-2024, 05:12 PM
BMinSFL
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by DHL
Suncoast has them in a number of colors (you did not mention whether you has an S or GTS) for $125 set. They are probably snap on/off so maybe DIY.

They are not snap off, they are secured by double sided tape and some clips that may break off into the door when removing. The removal is tedious but doable.

There are holes in the door that these cover so it's important to remount with the tape properly to ensure waterproofing and no intrusion into the door skin. As I mentioned earlier, you don't want to remove if you don't have to.
///Bruce (04-14-2024)
Old 04-14-2024, 09:28 PM
mark8
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DHL

Interesting. Thanks. Mine is a Turbo (2020)
Old 04-15-2024, 03:26 PM
rob944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by DHL

Those are just decals
Old 04-15-2024, 03:36 PM
isugoo
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 182 Posts

Not sure how to remove side blades but if you like the tock, I'm sure someone will love to trade their stock + cash to get your painted ones.

Quick Reply: wrapping side blades