Notices
Macan 2014-Current

GLA 45 AMG?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 12:05 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

I had 4 straight MB's. An S with every option and then 3 E Classes, all better equipped than average. Didn't really realize how lousy of cars they are until I started driving other things. There's nothing they're better at competition at anymore, not comfort (jarring rides in my E's) without a handling trade-off (float and roll like old Caddy's), way overboosted, granny-intended steering, cheap interior materials when you really look into it (this part got a lot better with the new C), not the safest cars anymore, and IMO some of the most inconsistent, least harmonious, ugly, wannabe designs out there.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:34 PM
roule
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
... IMO some of the most inconsistent, least harmonious, ugly, wannabe designs out there.
Isn't that the truth! It is surprising how ugly BMW allowed itself to become, and now Mercedes is adding more gimmicks and gadgets instead of making the most handsome, highest-quality cars. Too much electronics and not enough attention to mechanical robustness have pushed down these two companies in most quality rankings. Sadly their emphasis on jarring styling seems to come at the expense of giving engineers any time to reduce mass, design super reliable software, or hone the body in a wind tunnel -- just look at how fat and inefficient they have become. But most people don't notice because Merc and BMW know that increased horsepower covers up all the rest of their sins.

We can only hope that Porsche doesn't follow the same road with overcomplicated user interfaces and hideous styling. The Macan seems pretty good, but admittedly, there are some gimmicks: steering wheel, side blades, tail lamps, and outboard front intakes all look like some manager insisted that over-complicating them was necessary to have more "flair". Remove these styling excesses, drop a couple hundred kg, offer a manual transmission option, and you'd have a perfect RELIABLE and FUN daily driver.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:19 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 537 Posts

We have about 600K miles on 4 MBs, last of which was a '94 420.

I agree with most of the above as it concerns more recent models, except that the MB GLA 250 and 45 weigh in at 800 lbs less than the Macan. With a corresponding better acceleration number and mpg.

Wife did not like the MB styling, especially the dog ball Nav screen sitting up on the dash. Just to keep an open mind, showed her the Panamera and she liked it even less.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:44 PM
Rolltide86
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
Mercedes Slug...Ouch!

Rolltide86...what did the missus hate abt the Benz? Unreliable? Quality? Something else? Only been a year, but the wife's SLK has been rock solid, but have to admit the C class loaner we got when it had its annual service seemed kind of cheesy for a Benz...T
As I recall, her words were something like "it is boring, it is ugly, and it's a car for old people to drive". It was amazingly boring to drive, didn't handle well, wasn't very speedy, and pretty much was like driving a German Buick (hence the sale within a year).
Old 10-08-2014, 04:19 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by Rolltide86
As I recall, her words were something like "it is boring, it is ugly, and it's a car for old people to drive". It was amazingly boring to drive, didn't handle well, wasn't very speedy, and pretty much was like driving a German Buick (hence the sale within a year).
I feel the same about wife's '07 CLK550, and I am an "old people". But she loves it, that's all that matters.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:12 PM
roule
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
I agree with most of the above as it concerns more recent models, except that the MB GLA 250 and 45 weigh in at 800 lbs less than the Macan. With a corresponding better acceleration number and mpg.
Indeed. Different size class, however. For all practical purposes, the GLA approximately offers no more utility than a 20+ year old Porsche 924/944/968. The key difference, in my mind, is that most current vehicles lack steering and cornering feel -- they cover up poor chassis dynamics with increases in power. So too does the Macan feel. It may be best in its class, but a loss of several hundred kg would do it a world of good. It is sad that so many buyers are enamored with instantly-obsolete electronics and peak hp statistics rather than appreciating a properly dialed-in vehicle.

But that's what the business suits at Porsche have decided. Looking at what has transpired since the mid 1990's, Porsche essentially killed off its front-engine 3-door hatchbacks (the much-missed 968 and fantastic 928) and replaced them with 5-door SUVs. Longtime Porsche enthusiasts wouldn't be so upset if Porsche had merely added utes to its lineup, but it axed excellent vehicles that cannot be found anywhere today.

It's probably too optimistic to think that Porsche would be kind enough to offer a 3-door hatchback version of its Panamera or a 3-door Shooting Brake version of the Macan. You see, mass matters -- it is the primary factor in all dynamic manoeuvres. At the very least, Porsche should have a Club Sport version of each of its vehicles to remind us old timers that Porsche still knows how to make a pure unencumbered sports vehicle. Let the buyer stick his own iPhone into the dash-mounted cradle if he can't part with electronics for a split second.

I understand that the Macan is aimed at urban yuppies more than backroad barnstormers or weekend track enthusiasts, but why couldn't Porsche remove a couple hundred kg from the Macan if they did in fact redesign the Q5 platform? The Macan is very good overall, but it offers disappointing fuel economy and dynamics due to too much weight.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:50 PM
Rolltide86
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=roule;11707214]

At the very least, Porsche should have a Club Sport version of each of its vehicles to remind us old timers that Porsche still knows how to make a pure unencumbered sports vehicle. Let the buyer stick his own iPhone into the dash-mounted cradle if he can't part with electronics for a split second.

Absolutely and totally agree with resurrecting the Club Sport concept. Basic, powerful, no frills. Really would go for that.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:21 PM
adamsclubs
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to MT, GLA45 matches the performance of Macan Turbo:

http://m.motortrend.com/roadtests/su...mg_first_test/
Old 10-10-2014, 09:22 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Thanks. Interesting article! ...T
Old 10-14-2014, 12:46 AM
CarlEightySix
Racer

I have a 15 W205 C400 on order and I was invited to test drive some of the AMG models, I even drove the new S63 AMG coupe, wonderful car. they had the GLA 45AMG to test, good car and good feeling of the steering wheel, IMO is not as luxurious as the Macan and for the asking price of the Macan I would go for an almost brand new Cayenne S. IMO
Old 10-15-2014, 04:16 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

shocked to see their "performance" model is the GLA45 @ 355hp.. while porsches "economy model" is the S at 345hp..

hmmmm

my neighbor downtown just bought CLA45 and GLA45... i think he must have a think for the most expensive cheapest model cars they make.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:08 PM
adamsclubs
Advanced

Originally Posted by rijowysock
shocked to see their "performance" model is the GLA45 @ 355hp.. while porsches "economy model" is the S at 345hp..

hmmmm

my neighbor downtown just bought CLA45 and GLA45... i think he must have a think for the most expensive cheapest model cars they make.
But almost 1,000 pounds less in weight, and around 30 mpg highway as a result.

I think both will sell well.

I agree GLA45 type of performance models would not fit the Porsche image. But didn't they say the same about the Cayenne, which now extends to Macan?
Old 10-15-2014, 09:21 PM
Rolltide86
Rennlist Member

Would never have considered the GLA vs. the Macan. Light years of difference between those cars. Not a matter of image, a matter of which is more of a driver's car. No contest. (Plus, on the subjective front, the GLA is ugly).
Old 10-15-2014, 09:30 PM
Jordan Pryce
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I am considering both the Macan S and GLA45 to replace my Boxster. The GLA is much more hot hatch like. I could totally autocross it. The optional recaros are awesome. I'm leaning towards the Macan because Porsche will let me out of my current lease early, but it still feels a little porky and suv like to me but it will add some much needed winter driving comfort. For some reason the GLA reminds me of my M Coupe, fast and with a face only a mother could love. But awesome just the same.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:45 PM
adamsclubs
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rolltide86
Would never have considered the GLA vs. the Macan. Light years of difference between those cars. Not a matter of image, a matter of which is more of a driver's car. No contest. (Plus, on the subjective front, the GLA is ugly).
The GLA45 is definitely more of a driver's car than Macan S.

Macan S drives like a truck, GLA45 drives like a performance car. I have not driven Macan Turbo.

As far as the look, again the same was said about Cayenne back then, didn't fit the image.

Ugly is an image issue. A hot hatch will not be ugly if it is a Japanese car, or German car (MB, BMW or Audi) in Europe.

Quick Reply: GLA 45 AMG?