Outdoor/All WeatherCar Cover Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 10:58 AM
flat12boxer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outdoor/All WeatherCar Cover Recommendations

Hey Guys,

My dad has been able to enjoy driving the new to us '79 SLC quite a bit even though we have have some nasty rain to prevent him from taking it out of the garage for a few days at a time.

He is looking to get a car cover that is outdoor/all weather to keep general moisture, dust, pollen, etc. away and also rain during the summer, and then something that we can also use once the car goes back into storage (if possible). Obviously, if its a really bad storm with the threat of hail etc. we'd run it back to the garage with the other cars.

He is just enjoying taking the car early in the morning to the office instead of having to make an extra trip to the garage to get it, then bring it back, etc.

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated. :-)
Old 07-03-2013, 01:44 AM
smokestack20
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flat12,

I've purchased a couple of "indoor" car covers from AutoAnything. Good selection and decent pricing.

The prevailing wisdom is the car should always be clean before covering, that being said I've heard good things about the Covercraft Noah. No first hand experience, however.

Good luck with your search.

Ken
Old 07-03-2013, 12:43 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with what Ken said. California Car Cover makes lots of covers and supplies them to other companies...they also make the Noah cover. I have a few of their indoor covers for use in the garage.

Rain, is generally a pain for car covers. You have to be really careful because if moisture gets trapped between the cover and the paint, it can cause a lot of damage to your paint. When I had a car covered outside, if it was going to rain I always took the cover off prior to rain, or if it got caught in the rain, removed it immediately afterwards. Also, not sure how great the rust proofing was on MBs back then so moisture trapped under a cover could be a disaster for that car and cause rust to form in a variety of places.

In addition, dust and pollen still gets up into the covers and taking it on and off every day you can easily scratch up the paint.

The garage is really going to be the best thing for a 30+ year old car.

Last edited by Dino944; 07-03-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:44 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry duplicate post.

Last edited by Dino944; 07-03-2013 at 01:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Outdoor/All WeatherCar Cover Recommendations