Notices
New Member Welcome Area New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what P-Car you own. Save your vehicle related questions for the technical discussion areas.

New member from the UK - 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2023, 08:46 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Default New member from the UK - 991.1

Hi everyone, this is Andy from the UK saying hello and introducing my lovely new (to me) 991.1 - I think the colour is fantastic and it has been really well looked after by the previous owners

I bought it (him?) two months ago and its my first Porsche, having spent many years driving other German cars - I traded up from a 6-Series BMW .

I've not done huge mileage yet, but I love the fact that the car is so useable on short journeys as well as being awesome on longer runs.

Things I got used to on the BMW and miss when driving the 911 are having multifunction controls on the steering wheel, a modern infotainment system and memory seats (for when my wife changes everything!). I also think there's a lot of tyre roar coming from the P-Zeros which detracts from the glorious engine sound and I've read a lot about Michelens as an alternative, so I might consider them when I eventually need replacements.

I am considernig a few selected mods such as adding the multi-function wheel, fitting the sports exhaust, doing a bit of soundproofing and upgrading to a new Android head unit (it's already on order) and I hope I can add a little bit to the already vast amount of knowledge on this site on that topic.

Looking forward to getting to know some of you!

Andy

The following 2 users liked this post by andy2111:
WillyDaP (12-26-2023), ZedZed (01-05-2024)
Old 12-25-2023, 10:01 AM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Welcome to the forum Andy! That's a beautiful 991.1! The color is fantastic and I think you'll love having the car! Does the car have a manual or Tiptronic transmission?
Old 12-26-2023, 07:03 PM
WillyDaP
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 149 Posts

Andy, your car is too pretty to be a him, say hello to your new mistress my friend, ha!
Old 12-27-2023, 04:28 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mazdaverx7
Welcome to the forum Andy! That's a beautiful 991.1! The color is fantastic and I think you'll love having the car! Does the car have a manual or Tiptronic transmission?
Thanks! It's a Carrera S with PDK so I'm having lots of fun with the gear shift paddles!
Old 12-27-2023, 04:28 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WillyDaP
Andy, your car is too pretty to be a him, say hello to your new mistress my friend, ha!
Ha ha, OK.. Just don't tell the wife!
The following users liked this post:
WillyDaP (12-27-2023)
Old 01-05-2024, 07:41 AM
ZedZed
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 131 Posts

Lovely car, Andy. I know you will love it - nothing combines that near-supercar feeling with everyday practicality like a 911. I have had five 911s over the years - all air-cooled - ending with the glorious 993 pictured below. When Porsche started making water-cooled 911s I stopped buying them on ideological grounds, but I have since got over that and now greatly admire many of the water-cooled models, especially the 991. I suspect that you will fall in love with the 911 concept and this will not be your first and last!

Since the 993, and my illogical and pathological distrust of water in a 911's engine, I had a break from Porsche for some years, favouring Mercedes and Jaguar (I still have a beautiful 4.2L V8 supercharged XK-R) but then my Porsche passion was reawakened about 4 years ago when my wife decided she wanted a Cayman. After that, and a reawakening of my enjoyment of flat six Porsche engines, regularly red-lining hers whenever she wasn't looking, it was only a matter of time before I once again felt the need for a Porsche in the garage, and I eventually decided on a Panamera. We have the Cayman (with PDK) for when I fancy releasing my inner hooligan for a while, and the Panamera is such an amazing 'do it all' car, as ideal for long, high-speed continental trips as it is for local journeys, sometimes with 4 of us enjoying the ride, all in glorious comfort, with excitement on tap as required.

Your car looks amazing - that is a great colour. Do I detect a light coloured interior (or even a two-tone)? If so, that would, for me, be the icing on the cake. I think you would enjoy the sports exhaust, but it is expensive and after more familiarisation with your car you may decide you don't need it. Michelin Pilot Sports are a great choice of tyre for when the time comes to replace the Pirellis - we have them on both our cars and they are terrific. Remember to go for the N version. Both our cars have the very nice 'Sport' sterring wheels - at first I missed the switches on the wheel, but now I have got used to not having them, I prefer the clean look of the black and alloy Sport wheel. I just noticed that your wheels are the exact same as those on my wife's Cayman too.

Thanks for sharing with us. Enjoy the journey! All the best, Zed.

Here's my XK-R:

Might as well throw the Panamera in for good measure (and if I can find one, the Cayman too).

Last edited by ZedZed; 01-06-2024 at 09:18 AM.
Old 01-05-2024, 12:45 PM
X-PH.COM - MIKE
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 177 Likes on 162 Posts

Congrats
Old 01-13-2024, 07:49 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Zed, thats just a trick of the light as the seats are all black - I agree it would look great if they were two tone!

Yep, the sports exhaust is an expensive luxury and I might not do it - I got a quote from a good indie and it's about £2.5K fitted, but they said Porsche are out of stock at the moment. As for the MFW, I might keep an eye out to see if I can get a bargain wheel on eBay as new it was also quoted at £2.5K including new airbag.

My immediate issue is I have bit of a leak where the rear wiper comes through the glass, which appears to be a common issue. I get a fair bit of misting up on cold days and I hope this is the source of the moisture. I do also have a sunroof and so I think I'll take it to my local indie and get them to look at all the seals and drainage channels whilst they also fix the rear wiper seal.

My fun project is installing the Andrioid head unit (as per our discussions in aother thread) - I'm hoping to pop in in briefly this weekend to check that the unit fires up..
Old 01-13-2024, 09:14 AM
ZedZed
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by andy2111
Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Zed, thats just a trick of the light as the seats are all black - I agree it would look great if they were two tone!
Ah, OK. I once had two-tone seats in one of my air-cooled 911s back in the day and they looked amazing. Black and red.

Yep, the sports exhaust is an expensive luxury and I might not do it - I got a quote from a good indie and it's about £2.5K fitted, but they said Porsche are out of stock at the moment. As for the MFW, I might keep an eye out to see if I can get a bargain wheel on eBay as new it was also quoted at £2.5K including new airbag.
Although I might get flamed for saying this, if I wanted to change the exhaust I would probably look for a good aftermarket unit, eg Acropovic or similar. Porsche tax adds an unreasonable amount of money to the price of these things. Same with steering wheels. Our cars have the optional 'Sports' wheels, which are an additional £1,250 if my memory is right. And of course the Sport wheel for our MY cars has no controls, so you pay more for less! Look around the net for a good used wheel that will fit your car, Check out the many YT videos for changing Porsche string wheels to give you some ideas. Some models are interchangeable and some aren't so be careful. Fitting is easy - you can do it yourself (be careful of the clockspring location) or an Indie should do it for about 1 hour's labour.

My immediate issue is I have bit of a leak where the rear wiper comes through the glass, which appears to be a common issue. I get a fair bit of misting up on cold days and I hope this is the source of the moisture. I do also have a sunroof and so I think I'll take it to my local indie and get them to look at all the seals and drainage channels whilst they also fix the rear wiper seal.
Have you checked that the rear wiper retaining nut is tight? I have known these to come loose and just tightening them up can fix the leak, sometimes. Don't overtighten though. Or, you could do what I have always done and delete the rear wiper altogether and replace it with a wiper delete plug. I don't like the look of the rear wiper on 911s (or most cars really) and TBH not having it isn't much of a loss. Once you are moving, the airflow seems to remove the water anyway. And then there's Rain-X of course Currently, my wife's Cayman was originally specified without a rear wiper and neither of us have ever really notice that we don't have one. My Panamera has a rear wiper, but I wish it didn't

Good idea to check the sunroof drains. In the UK the sunroofs don't get open and closed much and they can suffer from this in various ways.

My fun project is installing the Andrioid head unit (as per our discussions in aother thread) - I'm hoping to pop in in briefly this weekend to check that the unit fires up..
I'm looking forward to seeing your progress with this!

Quick Reply: New member from the UK - 991.1