Notices

2020 Land Rover Defender

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 03:20 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

At $50k starting I don't see HMGovernment buying these en masse...
Old 10-05-2019, 11:07 AM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 234 Posts

@RossP : I love the new Defender! YouTube has a lot of videos from JLR on the New Defender - that’s how I learnt about the car. What piece of info are you after in particular?
@luv2race : great color choice! Send pictures when you have it!
Old 10-22-2019, 04:10 PM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

Was hoping for more classic lines, like the homerun Jeep continue's to hit with each wrangler re-modelling or that MB did with the Gwagon. Unfortunately, unless it is much better in person, I'll stick with the proven Jeep wrangler. But I would have given an arm and a leg for a modernized Defender 110 rather than something that looks like it was made by Kia. Just look at the Kia telluride, and soul and you should see what could have been family resemblance. Very disappointed cause I've been hoping and wishing and then.... THIS !!!!
Old 10-28-2019, 08:11 AM
Watson
Burning Brakes

@Steph1 : I was not 100% sold on the looks based on pictures but I had seen it in real and it looks much better. Give it a chance, I did not really like it at the beginning but it’s growing on me.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:28 AM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Watson
@Steph1 : I was not 100% sold on the looks based on pictures but I had seen it in real and it looks much better. Give it a chance, I did not really like it at the beginning but it’s growing on me.
Now you got my hopes up and looking forward to see one up close.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:09 PM
Watson
Burning Brakes

@ luv2race : did you get your New Defender?

If so, could you share your first impressions?

Seems like a V8 version is going to be released... : https://www.evo.co.uk/land-rover/def...ender-v8-spied
Old 06-02-2020, 05:17 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

I took a trip to land rover to see one and found it a bit underwhelming. Looked like a toy. My brother has one on order with the full spec in a bronze like color. Renderings looked nice.
Ill hold judgement until it arrives and I get to drive it. I think Id rather do the new bronco for the $.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:18 AM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Hardback
I took a trip to land rover to see one and found it a bit underwhelming. Looked like a toy. My brother has one on order with the full spec in a bronze like color. Renderings looked nice.
Ill hold judgement until it arrives and I get to drive it. I think Id rather do the new bronco for the $.
I am starting to get concerned that the Defender is going to feel like a 85k Jeep. I still need to see one in person though.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:56 AM
Watson
Burning Brakes

I haven't driven any of the twos but I sat in both of them and had time to inspect materials, fit and finish and my assessment is that the Defender feels much better built quality than the Jeep Wrangler - it is also more expensive, so that's to be expected. To me, the Defender is not a direct rival of the Jeep - I'd say above a Jeep but below a G-Wagen.

In terms of pricing / market segment of the rugged / "authentic" 4x4s, this is how I see it :
Suzuki Jimny < Jeep Wrangler < Defender < G-Wagen

so to me there is room for every one of these cars.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:24 AM
Fox_
Race Car

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

Exterior is ugly.
Interior is neat.
Land Rover is owned by an Indian company.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:39 AM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 150 Posts

Last week I went and actually test drove the Defender. Here are my impressions.

Exterior:
Looks great in person with the minor exception of the view from directly behind. I am not a huge fan of how they pinched the upper sides in over the rear taillights. Minor objection though, not a deal breaker.

Interior:
The interior was actually more luxurious than I expected. LR definitely took the time to put leather and soft touch materials in the right places, while also maintaining a utilitarian/functional interior. The interior definitely feels worthy of a 75k price tag. The only minor gripe I have is the stereo volume **** is a far reach for the driver. This is very minor though as there are volume controls on the steering wheel. The backseats have plenty of room. I am 6'1" and tend to have my driving position with the seat far back, and there was still plenty of room behind the drivers seat for me to sit comfortably.

Driveability: Its a really solid feeling SUV. You can tell LR spent a lot of time on this chassis as everything feels "overbuilt". Handles very nicely on the air suspension. Great visibility, and good power from the p400 engine.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (08-24-2020)

Quick Reply: 2020 Land Rover Defender