Notices

OT: Range Rover: Any thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 08:59 AM
TYNUSKT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My wife has always wanted one and we were recently at the point where my 12 yr old daily driver was having more issues than it was worth and I was more than happy to take her 2016 VW Touareg as my daily so we decided to give one a try. She ended up getting a 2016 RR Sport Dynamic which had come off a lease and had under 40k miles. We got a 4yr/85k mile CPO and if she puts so much as a scratch or curbs a wheel she's covered. She loves it and the 510hp supercharged engine is a monster. She only drives 7 miles to work so that might help her manage the fuel costs Fully warrantied I do feel better about the purchase but in the back of my mind knowing what the "reputation" of these can be I hope she doesn't spend too much time in a loaner vehicle.

Old 10-21-2019, 09:46 AM
fastcars914
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Keep in mind, 3rd party warranties exist...that said I have always lusted for a RR, and IIRC my F-Type has the same V8 as in the RR's. Haven't had a single issue with it in 13k miles/2 years. I do get oil changes every 5k miles, however, and did an early break-in oil change.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:49 PM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

My experience with Land Rover is the reason why I am psychologically scared of something going wrong on my Porsche. Indeed, I owned one for 4 years and swore I would never own another. But that Velar looks so good, that I had to check it out. While doing so, I checked the reliability ratings and saw that not only are they still at the bottom of the chart, their reliability is described as catastrophic, to use the exact word of the experts.

The vehicle never left me stranded on the side of the road, but something was always wrong. It was so ironic, that I had to choose between fixing an issue, or leaving it. Reason being that the next thing was waiting to break, but wouldn't until I fixed the previous one. Sounds unbelievable, but I observed exactly that for a full 4 years. Things would break within a week of fixing the previous one.

While complaining to the service manager who had become a friend !!!! he said he always tells his customers (things that make you go hhhmmm) Range rovers a big expensive vehicles to buy, and they are big extremely expensive vehicles to maintain. Those words coming from a service manager, speak tons ! I like the coffee and muffins that they serve at the service dept., but I didn't really feel like having them on a freackin weekly basis!!!!

Last edited by Steph1; 10-22-2019 at 02:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
robmypro (10-25-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 10:25 PM
SSTAR
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Had a '14 Cayenne Turbo, now have a '17 Td6 full size RR. Its a great vehicle (we love the diesel) but it has electrical gremlins. Sometimes the screen takes 120sec to turn on, same steering wheel tilt/ entry issue as referenced here. I leased it and won't be buying it out. Probably going back to Cayenne for next family hauler.
The following users liked this post:
Steph1 (10-28-2019)

Quick Reply: OT: Range Rover: Any thoughts