OT: Range Rover: Any thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 11:55 AM
s2racer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default OT: Range Rover: Any thoughts

Completely off topic, but there's a lot of experience on the board. Considering downsizing my truck from an Expedition to something. Was looking at a Cayenne or Macan, but cargo space seemed small. Saw a few Land Rovers around and thought I'd take a look. Anyone have experience with either the Discovery Sport or Velar?

Thanks

Marc
Old 10-12-2019, 12:00 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,084 Likes on 621 Posts

Not a single person I know who's had one was happy with it. But that's going back a few years. Same complaint - constant headaches. All second hand however - we've never owned one.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:17 PM
Ryanrayburn
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a 2019 RR Sport Supercharged. It is a love hate relationship so far (I have only owned it 9 months) so I cannot say wether or not I would purchase another one. It drives amazing, I love the looks and the power. My only gripe so far is the electronics with the two large displays that control everything. The car seems to have a mind of its own sometimes, here is what I have documented so far;
  • The infotainment screen is supposed to auto tilt when the car is started, sometimes it will not tilt out of the dash and other times is very slow to start up.
  • The controllable LED lighting changes back to the auto default on its own so weekly I have to go back and change it to the color I like.
  • The auto tilt wheel will sometimes not come out of the exit position when you start the car. You need to turn it back off and open the door and try again. The other day this did not even fix the problem so I had to adjust it again so I could drive.
  • Apple CarPlay is works sometimes and not others. If you auto start the car it will not connect, not sure what the correlation is but I have noticed this happens every time when I auto start.
  • Overall the electronics are very slow to respond, it gets very frustrating for such an expensive car.
  • The park sensors will work sometimes and not others, and often times when you are driving out of nowhere they will start beeping (like driving 50 miles an hour down the road with no one around you).
  • Back up camera is very slow, not to be trusted if you are navigating a tight space.
  • The auto climate control mysteriously comes off of auto on its own, this happens often.

Overall I really like the car but I am concerned for when I will need to take it in for service. The check engine light came on a few weeks back and when I called to get an appointment to bring it in for service they could not get me in for over two weeks! Luckily in that time the light turned off and stayed off, probably some bad fuel. But what if this was a a real issue? This car is my DD and I would be forced to either rent a car or drive my 993, or RS to work (neither of which would be a real treat with my commute).

So in summary this might be my First and last Range Rover/Land Rover.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:34 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,245 Likes on 2,732 Posts

Originally Posted by s2racer
Completely off topic, but there's a lot of experience on the board. Considering downsizing my truck from an Expedition to something. Was looking at a Cayenne or Macan, but cargo space seemed small. Saw a few Land Rovers around and thought I'd take a look. Anyone have experience with either the Discovery Sport or Velar?

Thanks

Marc

I recently bought a '19 Range Rover HSE for my wife. We previously owned an LR4. This one replaced our Land Cruiser.

The infotainment is a bit sluggish and sometimes has a mind of its own. I'm fairly certain there will be some warranty issues down the line. At least I'm prepared for that. I don't intend to own this car beyond the warranty period, so I'm not that concerned.

That said, the fit and finish is excellent. It drives great - nice power and super comfortable and quiet. It has good range and decent mileage for a bigger SUV. It's fantastic for trips. It's not perfect, but we're really happy with it. There is a bit of lag in the throttle response, which is the only major drivability criticism.

I test drove the Discovery and it's not nearly as luxurious, though it's a fair bit cheaper and a pretty decent value. Power and handling is similar. Land Rovers are nice driving SUVs, in general. I agree that the Cayenne is pretty small and the Macan is kind of a joke, when it comes to interior room and cargo space. The Discovery is cavernous in comparison and the tall cargo hold is very usable. It might actually have more room than the full size Range Rover, as a matter of fact.
Name:  BsRrrpT.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  4.46 MB
Old 10-12-2019, 12:45 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryanrayburn
I have a 2019 RR Sport Supercharged. It is a love hate relationship so far (I have only owned it 9 months) so I cannot say wether or not I would purchase another one. It drives amazing, I love the looks and the power. My only gripe so far is the electronics with the two large displays that control everything. The car seems to have a mind of its own sometimes, here is what I have documented so far;
  • The infotainment screen is supposed to auto tilt when the car is started, sometimes it will not tilt out of the dash and other times is very slow to start up.
  • The controllable LED lighting changes back to the auto default on its own so weekly I have to go back and change it to the color I like.
  • The auto tilt wheel will sometimes not come out of the exit position when you start the car. You need to turn it back off and open the door and try again. The other day this did not even fix the problem so I had to adjust it again so I could drive.
  • Apple CarPlay is works sometimes and not others. If you auto start the car it will not connect, not sure what the correlation is but I have noticed this happens every time when I auto start.
  • Overall the electronics are very slow to respond, it gets very frustrating for such an expensive car.
  • The park sensors will work sometimes and not others, and often times when you are driving out of nowhere they will start beeping (like driving 50 miles an hour down the road with no one around you).
  • Back up camera is very slow, not to be trusted if you are navigating a tight space.
  • The auto climate control mysteriously comes off of auto on its own, this happens often.

Overall I really like the car but I am concerned for when I will need to take it in for service. The check engine light came on a few weeks back and when I called to get an appointment to bring it in for service they could not get me in for over two weeks! Luckily in that time the light turned off and stayed off, probably some bad fuel. But what if this was a a real issue? This car is my DD and I would be forced to either rent a car or drive my 993, or RS to work (neither of which would be a real treat with my commute).

So in summary this might be my First and last Range Rover/Land Rover.

Holy smokes. I'm sure all of these issues presented at different times, but that's about 8 months longer than I could deal with something like this in a new car.

Andreas
Old 10-12-2019, 04:21 PM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 89 Posts

Consumer Reports, for those who believe its data or agree, is consistent with RR/Discoverer reviews:
No arguments with luxury and finish, but holds the bottom of reliability among its peers.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:12 PM
s2racer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

thanks for the input...I do like the look of them, but sounds like good vehicles to avoid. My '06 Expedition has 201k on the clock and still runs great. The search continues.

Thanks again
Old 10-12-2019, 06:46 PM
Novice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

My 2005 LR3, which I brought new, has ~190K miles, and is still going - I did all the services below myself
On original air suspension !
Replaced the air compressor once and major service once, replace the air drier packs probably 3 times - all done by me.
Changed brake pads and rotors many times ( keep in mind this is close to 6,000 lb dry)
replaced the thermostat - easy afternoon job
replaced the thermostat housing assembly - this is a two weekend jobs
replaced the ZF transmission sleeves once, including drain trans fluid.
on original water pump!
Changed serpentine belt once.
replaced all the water hoses as a preventive maint - including coolant drain.
replaced the one rear brake caliper - it was seized.

The maintenance are all normal wear items. and many components lasted way longer than I expected ( e.g. the air suspension, and water pump)
Old 10-12-2019, 08:23 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 736 Likes on 522 Posts

Range will spend more time in the shop than on the road. Buy the Cayenne and don’t look back!
Old 10-13-2019, 12:56 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

We had a 2005 LR3 out to 160K miles (purchased new) - and currently have an 2015 LR4. Both have been acceptably reliable - not Hondas, but not nightmares.

Budget ~$3K / yr for M&S out of warranty and you should be good for the most part unless you get unlucky.

cheers!
Old 10-13-2019, 01:46 AM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 90 Posts

I have both an '05 Range HSE and a '15 Range HSE bought after three year lease end of my brother in law with 4K miles only .
Needless to say entirely different vehicles the earlier I on the third engine , second trans and third from strut set , the '15 high near bullet proof
bur a lot of electronic idiosyncrasies that can crop up some self correcting others not so much , a filter for the self leveling suspension got condensation
and sent a default do not exceed 35 miles per hour alert ! A bit disconcerting when your 50 miles from home and on the freeway haha..
pother than that a beautiful ride both exterior and interior nothing like it and despite the initial acceleration lag it does get up and get moving just albeit in a delayed manner ever so often...YMMV , Bert
Old 10-13-2019, 07:34 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,245 Likes on 2,732 Posts

The irony of my purchase is that the Land Cruiser it replaced had mechanical problems. And that's supposed to be the bulletproof tank.

Getting CPO really makes it easier to talk yourself into cars like these. I got my car CPO as a 2019 with a few thousand miles and 3 months of previous ownership. It still has a new car smell. The PO traded it in on a G wagon. I got an extra year of warranty and $25k off the original price. If I have to deal with a few warranty issues, so be it. Ask Nick Murray about the virtues of modern Porsche quality. They don't exactly build them like 993s anymore (and I've owned two modern Porsches before this one).

Funny thing is that the most reliable car I've owned was a BMW of all things. So, you never know. No one will argue that RR has good overall reliability, but with a good local dealer, sound warranty and a good deal on the price -- it made sense for me. The cars themselves are great. There aren't many bigger SUVs that don't look and drive like a school bus.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:24 PM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 234 Posts

I have driven a 2019 Range Rover (SWB, V6 Supercharged) in a Land Rover Experience a couple of days ago. The car interior was magnificent, seats are super comfortable. There is nothing this car cannot tackle in offroad conditions while being super comfortable at the same time. Effortless. This is the King of SUV, no doubt.

@ rk-d : your RR looks lovely, love the grey color congrats.
@ budge96 : thanks for sharing your experience, seems like the current generation (from 2012 onwards) is much better built.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:25 PM
Christian Reyes
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have a highly optioned 2016 SWB supercharged V6

Besides a few electronic gremlins it has been a reliable SUV and I know have 43k on the clock.

Superbly comfortable both for long trips and daily commute and looks like nothing else on the road. Incredible offroad capabilities.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:12 PM
n3rd
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

I’ve had several. You get a good one or you get a dud. I have an 06 I use as a beater which (knock on wood) has been one of the most dependable cars I’ve ever owned. I had a 15 SVR that was lemoned (mostly due to dealer incompetence) because of a repeated TPMS failure that wouldn’t let me go over 15mph. We have a 16 SWB RR that had been great but the lease is over and the residual buy out is unrealistic (to put it nicely). We’ve ordered a new G wagon as they finally handle like a luxury SUV, similarly to a RR. We’ll buy another one but there is a new body coming next year with a BMW engine.

Some complain about electrical issues which happens and was the cause of my SVR to be lemoned. The 5.0 SC Ford engine (yes this engine is built by ford in the Uk) will require a timing chain and guides at 75-100k if the oil is changed at the recommended dealer intervals. If oil changes are more frequent (5-7k mile intervals) this doesn’t happen. This repair is super expensive. The 3.0 SC is still a ford engine but failures are extremely rare. They supposedly fixed this in 2013 but people are still reporting issues.

Quick Reply: OT: Range Rover: Any thoughts