Notices

Lotus Evora GT

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 05:02 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Lotus Evora GT

Any thoughts on how the new Evora GT will compare to the new GT4? I have not seen any reviews comparing the two yet.
Old 10-15-2019, 06:39 PM
schweez
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 31 Posts

I don't know how they'll compare -- but have been struggling with this since both were announced. I have a deposit in for a GT4 but 50% of the time I want the Evora GT instead. To be honest I'm obsessing over the decision (I know I'm lucky to have such a "problem"). I've had both a Cayman GTS (2016) and an Evora S (2014). Loved both. GT Porsche is bucket list for me but the back seats in the Evora make it so tempting (I have two little kids). Hate to say it but depreciation comes into play too. Huge advantage for the Porsche, plus that engine, interior, dealer network etc. etc.........
The following users liked this post:
JAhmed (01-12-2020)
Old 10-15-2019, 09:50 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,457 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by schweez
I don't know how they'll compare -- but have been struggling with this since both were announced. I have a deposit in for a GT4 but 50% of the time I want the Evora GT instead. To be honest I'm obsessing over the decision (I know I'm lucky to have such a "problem"). I've had both a Cayman GTS (2016) and an Evora S (2014). Loved both. GT Porsche is bucket list for me but the back seats in the Evora make it so tempting (I have two little kids). Hate to say it but depreciation comes into play too. Huge advantage for the Porsche, plus that engine, interior, dealer network etc. etc.........

Can we add build quality and reliability to the list.....
The following users liked this post:
JAhmed (01-12-2020)
Old 10-16-2019, 12:46 AM
schweez
Instructor

Originally Posted by jmartpr
Can we add build quality and reliability to the list.....
I don’t necessarily think it’s that the build quality and reliability are bad with the Lotus, it’s more that Porsches are so good. My experience is that the lotus was superior in steering feel and brakes. Porsche was pretty much better everywhere else. If the US got the euro spec version of the Lotus GT430 (different front bumper and Ohlins) I’d probably get that. But as it is, I think the Gt4 is the better purchase.

For those interested however, you can get the the same euro spec ohlins on the Evora GT for about $6k. Few have already done it. That car vs a gt4 would be epic.....
Old 10-16-2019, 07:45 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,457 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by schweez
I don’t necessarily think it’s that the build quality and reliability are bad with the Lotus, it’s more that Porsches are so good. My experience is that the lotus was superior in steering feel and brakes. Porsche was pretty much better everywhere else. If the US got the euro spec version of the Lotus GT430 (different front bumper and Ohlins) I’d probably get that. But as it is, I think the Gt4 is the better purchase.

For those interested however, you can get the the same euro spec ohlins on the Evora GT for about $6k. Few have already done it. That car vs a gt4 would be epic.....

Before the GT4 the car that I wanted was an Exige...probably a Cup version. But since these are not legal in the US I had a hard time buying it just for the track...might as well get a Radical.
But there was something about the Exige that really pull me to it and liked the prospect of driving it on weekends on the street...but no luck, not legal.
Thank God a year later the 981 GT4 was announced .....
Old 10-17-2019, 10:29 PM
Fang911
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 207 Posts

I had an Evora 400 for 2 yrs (4/17-3/19) and 10K miles....great car on road and track. Supremely confidence inspiring, great engine (despite supercharged camry V-6), and telepathic hydraulic steering (noticeably better than 981 GT4 / 991 GT3)...loved it. Would have kept it if space and wife permitted but traded it in on a new 991.2 GT3 in 7 months ago. I personally love the rarity / uniqueness and looks of the Evora GT especially with the new rear. No significant issues with the Evora 400 despite multiple track days- only a finicky trunk latch. Got killed on trade in (as expected) but would have kept both if not for having a 2 car garage. The only issues with the Evora 400 was a somewhat higher than perfect seating position (seats themselves are great), and the "worry" that something could go wrong without a dealer within a couple of hours...I always had it serviced at a local indy.
The following 2 users liked this post by Fang911:
drvrmod (12-11-2020), P-Car777 (01-11-2020)
Old 10-18-2019, 03:03 PM
alemaniac
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 81 Posts

I would love to see someone like Jason Cammisa do a head-to-head on on the 718 GT4 and the Evora GT. I am on the list for a GT4 but the Evora GT also has my attention. They seem to be two pretty well-matched cars, on paper.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:17 PM
alemaniac
Racer

Well, I test drove an Evora GT this past week, and I was thoroughly impressed. Engine sound is incredible, very light and nimble, and you get a lot of nice carbon fiber pieces included. Actually, the whole rear bumper is made from carbon fiber. I could also fit two stand golf bags in the boot, if needed, plus have the backseat for luggage space for going on a golf trip. If I don't get the call for 718 GT4 allocation, I may go with the Evora. The only downside I can see to the Lotus is the depreciation. And that is definitely something to consider.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:21 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 522 Likes on 311 Posts

I've seen some car writer mention the interior of the Evora GT as "kit car features". Not sure if you owners agree.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:16 AM
alemaniac
Racer

Originally Posted by DFW01TT
I've seen some car writer mention the interior of the Evora GT as "kit car features". Not sure if you owners agree.
Not an owner but I actually like the interior of the Evora GT. Nice carbon sills standard, great looking Carbon back seats, actually a little more comfortable than the Porsche LWBs. Also standard and also heated unlike the LWBs. And good pops of color instead of the long dash strips of color that are optional and kind of overwhelming on the Cayman, IMO. The big difference is lack of an nicely integrated OEM head unit. It uses an aftermarket Alpine. Ride is not quite as harsh as the 981 GT4, and there’s definitely more approach clearance on the front splitter, maybe 50 percent more??? I’d have to measure. Lotus also give you a plethora of paint options; all the colors of the rainbow.

For me, though, this is an “occasion” car, and I could seriously care less if there’s even a stereo in it. I’m going for maximum driving enjoyment and connection with the road. Which is why I’m not speccing up my GT4 if I go that route. Not much more than LWBs and the paint I want. Not looking for a “luxury” sports car.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:29 AM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,774 Likes on 755 Posts

Took an Evora GT for an extended test drive and was blown away. Car is phenomenal. Not sure I could live with the build quality or the horrific deprecation though.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:37 PM
schweez
Instructor

I don’t think the interior is kit car at all. It is very nice. Just not Porsche nice. I actually preferred the later versions of the first series Evora interior. 2013-2014. More special.

Depreciation and price are the main issues. Car is fantastic though. Drove it same day as a 981 GT4. But at that price, it’s hard to turn down the 718 gt4 (roughly same price). If I didn’t have an allocation I’d get the Evora and take the hit. Truth is, you can get a GT4 and then an evora down the line without much issue. Very difficult to do the opposite without taking a massive financial hit.
Old 01-12-2020, 01:49 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by JAhmed
Took an Evora GT for an extended test drive and was blown away. Car is phenomenal. Not sure I could live with the build quality or the horrific deprecation though.
Not to mention owning an extremely rare British car out of warranty (doesn't apply to the uber rich or flippers obviously) with a very tiny network of experienced and current mechanics with what, a paultry 3 year warranty?

Always been a huge fan of Lotus at least conceptually. Simplify, then add lightness.
Which they do better than most (if not all) yet others try and emulate (if at all) with overweight cars coupled with insanely priced options like 18K wheel and wing packages or 10K brake to save a few lbs.

If they backed their cars with a 6-10 year warranty I'd find a GT almost imposible to resist.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:24 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 95 Posts

ive had boxster and gt3 in past and a lotus elise for past 7 yrs. I think the comparison will be as it always was. Porsche faster, better build and more 'livable' than lotus. lotus better subjective driving characteristics and exotic rarity. if lotus dealer is close by, its a tough choice. Porsche hands down if no local lotus dealer.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:15 PM
JayGT4
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Always loved the idea of a Lotus but could never get myself to actually become an owner. Compared to the reliability and customer support you get from Porsche, it's like you're on your own and that's a scary thought, especially once out of warranty. Plus the dealers (and service centers) are few and far between.

Quick Reply: Lotus Evora GT