Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Old 11-23-2019, 08:56 AM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,234 Likes on 754 Posts

When does this phony baloney company crash and burn???????

Old 11-23-2019, 09:07 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nicole
These guys try to make sense of the design and raise some interesting points:
https://insideevs.com/features/38397...k-makes-sense/

The typical clients of pickup trucks would not even consider a vehicle that was too costly as an option.
Which of these options is an incorrect statement?

The typical clients of [economy cars / family sedans / small SUVs / medium SUVs / large SUVs / motorcycles / bicycles / skateboards / station wagons / luxury sedans / blue jeans / etc] miwould not even consider a vehicle that was too costlyas an option

If you think it through, the Cybertruck will be built like a monoplane. It is putting aeronautical tech at the reach of regular consumers.
Yes, truly ground-braking to have a motor vehicle that is not body on frame. Maybe they can come up with a catchy name for this aeronautical technology, like "antibody" or something

Also, I've always disliked the the phrase, "if you think about it" or its variations. It implies that you did not think about it. Not only that, the construction is ridiculous. If I don't think it through, does that mean that aeronautical tech is no longer a the reach of regular consumers?
Some will still ask why the pickup truck does not present a design that makes it clear where the bed starts. A three-box, as everyone is used to see. Credit that to aerodynamics.

An empty bed is like an open parachute.
Think the bed is the least objectionable part of the new truck. I have no complaints about the bed styling at all. Rear doors are OK by me, too, but everything forward is fugly. Also, an empty bed is not like a parachute: http://wseas.us/e-library/conference.../FMA/FMA17.pdf

. A combustion engine on cheap gasoline can turn that into more carbon on the atmosphere, and regular pickup truck drivers could not care less. It does not fall heavily on their pockets.

An electric vehicle would suffer much more from that. It would lose range. It would be less efficient and charge more money and more often with recharges.
OK, this is nonsense on its face. Have we not been told that electricity is cheaper than gas? Do ICE trucks not suffer from from range loss due to increased drag? This is saying that an EV truck loses more money from drag than an ICE truck. The difference between the two is the same as we have always known, it is quick to refill a gas tank.

If the Cybertruck could avoid that by covering the bed, why not? That is what Tesla did.
Yeah, it's too bad that ICE truck owners can't get bed covers. Score one for tesla, I guess?

The truck does have some advantages but a lot of disadvantages and some of the things are not unique to this truck or EVs - if you think it through
Originally Posted by Gretch
When does this phony baloney company crash and burn???????
"My emperor, only the wisest of your subjects can see how fine your new robes are! Clearly anyone who fails to appreciate the impressiveness and grandeur of your new robes is a fool."

Last edited by alordofchaos; 11-23-2019 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:22 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Old 11-23-2019, 11:09 AM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 423 Posts

Where are the windshield wipers, the side marker lights, rear view mirrors and a host of other federally required items?
Old 11-23-2019, 12:40 PM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

Received 1,654 Likes on 1,060 Posts

The truck is a 1970 Lancia with more ground clearance and no cool designer touches.

The following users liked this post:
JB43 (12-23-2019)
Old 11-23-2019, 01:25 PM
Fox 3
Rennlist Member

Received 695 Likes on 390 Posts

They spend $$ to design this, meanwhile the model S hasn't been updated since it was released. Dumb.
Old 11-23-2019, 01:59 PM
bobbyp
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by RED HORSE
Maybe a truck for urban cowboys, but I don't see any real farmer or rancher buying anything like that. Maybe a spot for it in the off road trail driver market, but not for a working truck for a working cowboy or farmer;
The vast majority of pickups that I see are not driven by real farmers or real ranchers. Even contractors have their nice pickup for themselves and some beater vans and pickups for smaller and dirtier items. Rarely do I see a late model pickup that isn't buffed and shined.
Farmers and ranchers aren't the target market, he is going for the huge pool of buyers who think it is cool to drive around in a pickup and only actually use it as a truck 0 to 3 times a year.

I don''t think it is very attractive either, looks more like a concept car that never sees the light of day because it proves to be impractical to build or impractical to certify to safety standards.
JB43 (12-23-2019)
Old 11-23-2019, 02:20 PM
rcristobal
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I thought it was their launch vehicle for the moon or Mars.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:47 PM
Crisis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

While I don't think the reveal as a whole was a publicity stunt, I do think that the broken windows were by plan.

If the reveal went off without a hitch, the coverage would have been limited to websites with car people bitching about how ugly it is. But add in the armour windows breaking not once, but twice, and this event is suddenly on every news cast in the nation (and beyond). This audience for this event went from a few million people to tens of millions when those windows broke.
JB43 (12-23-2019)
Old 11-23-2019, 02:47 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 116 Posts

It's growing on me...a little:

https://insideevs.com/features/38397...k-makes-sense/

https://electrek.co/2019/11/23/tesla...s-matte-black/

Old 11-23-2019, 02:58 PM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by PCA1983
In the meantime, they appeal only to Greenies.
But in the meantime, if an autonomous electric vehicle comes out that can be used as an around-town beater, and it can take me on pub crawls, and park itself somewhere while I'm inside enjoying, and it costs around $20k, i will be interested.
We purchased a 2 year old VW E-Golf about a year ago, $12k for a 2016 CPO with 15k miles on it. It’s only got a range of about 80 miles but works really well as an around town runabout. It actually drives quite well, better than the rental Corolla I’m in while I wait for my 911 to be delivered.
Old 11-23-2019, 04:08 PM
cwilt

Received 203 Likes on 120 Posts

Old 11-23-2019, 04:43 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,076 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Old 11-23-2019, 04:55 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

I have said many times that with the new car designs they don’t photograph well and need to be seen in person..... but I don’t think seeing this vehicle in person will make it any better looking.... lol

but I did read that Tesla will be coming out with an electric ATV that you will be able to drive onto the back of the truck and will be able to charge off of the trucks battery. I like the idea... will see if it works in real life.